Need some help hunting this buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hoytvectrix

Need some help hunting this buck

Unread postby Hoytvectrix » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:15 am

I've got a few questions for a newbie public land hunter. I've been watching HB and Hunting Public videos the last few years and am finally taking the plunge this year with some more aggressive public land hunting for whitetail bucks.

I was out scouting some public land in MN in late August and came across this buck: https://youtu.be/QCgrN0X8qH8?t=232 . I have attached a screenshot of the location in question and the wooded island he went up to. The video was taken at about 3:30 in the afternoon.
Public land buck.png

The green line indicates the border between public and private land. You'll notice that the buck is in a fairly secluded area and from other aerial photos, there are visible game trails going into that wooded island in the same direction the buck took. There isn't a whole lot of noticeable food in the area. About 1.5-2 miles away, there are some beans and corn. There might be some alfalfa in the pastures to the northwest of the wooded island. There are a few clumps of oaks about 20 yards from the road where I found a few younger bucks feeding in the early evening that are only about 250 yards from this spot.

How would you all go about hunting this buck? I plan on bow hunting and would prefer to try and get in at him before he receives too much pressure (especially given how close this is to the road and parking - about 200 yards). The MN bow opener is this Saturday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Burningbootleather

Re: Need some help hunting this buck

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Topo maps help a lot, but my tip is don’t post your spots man.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”