Lottery Won!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

danimal_f

Lottery Won!

Unread postby danimal_f » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:30 am

Hello All,

I just found out I was drawn for a conservancy lottery hunt. I have access the whole month of November. I've never been on this property, but have glassed the field to the east. Deer poor out of the property I have access to on a nightly basis. From the road it appears to be a mature pine forest. The deer numbers are very high in this area, so access will be important to not blow the area out. Can anyone offer up suggestions on where to start, and how to tackle this property?

Also I can't figure out how to paste the aerial photo in this post, so I'm adding it as an attachment.

Thanks for the responses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muddy

Re: Lottery Won!

Unread postby muddy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:47 am

Are you the only one hunting the section/area?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:08 am

Congratulations!

Is this flat land?
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
danimal_f

Unread postby danimal_f » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:48 am

muddy wrote:Are you the only one hunting the section/area?

This property is split up into 6 different sections. I'm the only person with access to section 3 in November. There's a similar setup for October and December, so there will be a person hunting section three in October.
danimal_f

Unread postby danimal_f » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 am

Zephyrus wrote:Congratulations!

Is this flat land?

Yes, this whole property is flat.
danimal_f

Unread postby danimal_f » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:03 am

Here is a screenshot from ONx with the topo lines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:14 am

20200916_140931.png

Full disclosure - I've never shot a buck in my life, and posting this hoping to get some critique of my thought process...

I'd come in in the low area southeast corner. Assuming west wind, I'd expect somewhere in the vicinity of my dots (randomly dotted a suspect area) to be best bedding due to deers ability to watch open land. Maybe set up at end of my walking path (white line). Worst case, you see nothing, but hopefully get a better visual of terrain...
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”