Going in 100% blind-in the morning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Burningbootleather

Going in 100% blind-in the morning

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:08 pm

How much luck do you guys have going into an entirely new area-100% blind, climbing a tree, and having a clear shooting lane? This morning I had to climb lower in the tree to be able to almost even just see through the canopy. Early season hunting isn’t my thing so how to you guys do it?

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Going in 100% blind-in the morning

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:20 pm

I wont ever go in 100% blind before daylight. And I typically only do a blind hunt if the wind is high are there us a solid all day rain event( not a pouring rain, but a all day steady light rain). That way I can assess the terrain, timber type, food,bed,water and hottest sign if its during the rut.

I also time hunts like this to happen during gun season, that way if I should bump a good buck I can have as much chance to take him from the ground and also inspect his bed and take notes for the following season, to hunt that bed.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:25 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:I wont ever go in 100% blind before daylight. And I typically only do a blind hunt if the wind is high are there us a solid all day rain event( not a pouring rain, but a all day steady light rain). That way I can assess the terrain, timber type, food,bed,water and hottest sign if its during the rut.

I also time hunts like this to happen during gun season, that way if I should bump a good buck I can have as much chance to take him from the ground and also inspect his bed and take notes for the following season, to hunt that bed.

I’ve been solely a ground hunter the past 5-6 years-a wreckless and only half serious one at best with that being said. It’s interesting you say that because even in my not so “blind” stand sits I saw far less deer and had far less shot opportunities. Even with a bow I thoroughly enjoy walking to hunt. I’ve found that even if I don’t manage to see them before they see me, getting a shot is still a strong possibility as fortunately white-tailed deer don’t “hold” to their cover as long as other deer species may giving a reasonable chance at him leaving the area before actually figuring out 100% for sure what you are
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:34 pm

I have had mixed results. My better blind morning hunts have been where I identified a promising area cyberscouting then get to it in the dark, wait for grey light and find a tree. I dont like doing it cause I never feel confident in the spot, I just feel rushed. I had a blind morning hunt last year where I bumped a group of does 15 minutes or so after the sun came up. I set up there and saw another doe fawn come through an hour or so later. I came back the next day and one more time a month or so later and had pretty good action. That made me think morning hunts could be good for observation sits but its not something I've tried much yet.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 pm

I've done it. It's paid dividends a time or two as well. Pick a good looking spot on the aerials and hit it. When you have limited time, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Just make it work. You win some and you lose some. It's adversity... Overcome...
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:23 pm

Same, I’ve done it many times. Some great success, some completely dead areas. You can’t always tell where the best sign is and which is the best tree, but I’ve never had a big problem discerning shooting lanes. I’ve also moved after sunup after figuring out I’m not in the right spot. Pick an area and go for it.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:39 am

When I did it and had some success I was in very high deer density areas. So, if my suspected bedding based of Ariel or glassing from afar was not pressured it generally gave some action. Hard to say on if you’re going to have a shot
Or not. I never did it super early in the season Maybe like mid oct. we don’t open till 10-1... most the sits I made were in somewhat open hardwood point in a marsh or an edge of thick tangles like autumn olive or something so I did have some shots

I’d have a hard time going in blind in the am this time of yr personally.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am

It’s tough in some of the swamp style terrains, but can be productive. Shot my first deer (spike buck) with a bow on a 100% blind morning hunt many years ago. I tend to sit over water in swamps on a blind morning hunt and try to have shots at edge trails if that’s between food and bedding it works great for bringing a doe home.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:32 am

It definitely can be a challenge if you dont know the area or didnt physically scout it out beforehand. I usually like to do observation sits mainly in the morning early season near cover- but not in it.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Pick your way in slow using a OnX in the dark but I don’t like climbing a tree unless I know the spot . Unless your hunting specific bedding , Just set up In gray light or after sunup .
DrHogFan

Unread postby DrHogFan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:32 am

Killed my 2018 buck on a blind morning hunt. Picked an area based on topo features. Prerut was just starting, it was mid-late October. Walked about 1.5 miles and crossed a road. Got to my determined area and noticed the glimmer of a tree stand - bummer! Kept scouting, wasn't worried about setting up before daylight at this point it was going to be a scout and hunt fresh sign just like I do in the afternoons. Well about an hour before daylight I see two pairs of eyes glimmering at me on the side of a hill I just crested. They were not directly below me so the thermals did not reach them, and they wandered off as they knew something was coming down the hill, but not sure what it was. I decided to see what was going on in the area these deer were (I'm assuming a doe and her baby). I found a white oak dropping fresh acorns, and deer scat everywhere. I knew there was good doe bedding near by, so I decided i'll just give it a shot, but with low expectations. I had made a giant loop and was now 80 yards from the gravel road I had parked on but about 1/2 a mile from my truck. About 8:30 a nice, big bodied 8pt came cruising through, with nose to the ground. Walked under my stand and I had to let him walk out another 10 yards from under me. Shot him through the heart, and he ran and died about 5 yards from the road. Easiest drag/pack out on public I've ever had.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:58 pm

I love blind morning hunts! I scout terrain features by map and hunt a location which maximizes the possibility deer will move through the area. Instead of climbing a tree, I'll ground hunt and stay mobile. Having never hunted a particular piece of ground, with limited time, I want to start in the best terrain I can find and scout from there. ( I mostly hunt mountain/rolling terrain)

I really enjoy the challenge of reading maps then looking for sign and habitat changes in the dark. Leave the truck extra early and take my time. This initial spot will turn into my starting point for scouting.

Have fun and good luck!
Shoot Straight
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:08 pm

I do it a lot. Meticulous cyber scouting and weather watching. Generally walk into the wind. I generally use a hard land feature to play off, creek, meadow edge, something I know that will limit them to an area, so my tree choice wont be hard in my headlamp. I normally walk in and can say, theres that line of cedars, the creek is right there, I need to get over by the reeds. Its blind but very educated. One thing that is very important is to plan your approach to have your wind blow over your ground scent. When hunting blind the closer they are together the more hunt able area you have when the sun comes up. I do it a lot.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:08 pm

I do it a lot. Meticulous cyber scouting and weather watching. Generally walk into the wind. I generally use a hard land feature to play off, creek, meadow edge, something I know that will limit them to an area, so my tree choice wont be hard in my headlamp. I normally walk in and can say, theres that line of cedars, the creek is right there, I need to get over by the reeds. Its blind but very educated. One thing that is very important is to plan your approach to have your wind blow over your ground scent. When hunting blind the closer they are together the more hunt able area you have when the sun comes up. I do it a lot.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:08 pm

I hunt like that alot and love it. I have had mixed results but I love the adventure aspect of it.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”