Farm country question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Farm country question

Unread postby Moose » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:35 am

I have permission to hunt a farm that has multiple features and im curious to see what i should key in on first. My thought is to sit a observation stand first since there is corn planted and it will be a screen for me where i can easily sit a fence row to observe but its down a dirt road and to muddy now.

Entrance - wide open rolling hill pasture of 60 acres and a backside entrance of a dirt road about a mile long to one of the corn fields.

Multiple fence rows

Multiple fingers

Low flat brushy areas with a creek running through it

Old railroad bed thats about 20' high ridge and 500yds long

The farm is gently rolling

Ive watched the farm bedding video mulitple times and not sure what to key in on with all these features. We just had 3 inches of rain so the dirt road access may be out for awhile. Any suggestions?

backstraps

Re: Farm country question

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:41 am

Without maps, id focus on where you may suspect security bedding nearest to food and water during the early season
Robert501st
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010889027861

Unread postby Robert501st » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:43 am

I like to find Google Earth images taken in winter or early spring. They show transitions and thick permanent cover better than images taken at other times of the year.

With that many options, I’d focus on only one or at most two possible spots your first time in. Find one on a map that you suspect could provide a buck with what he needs for bedding and check it out. You have an entire season to learn the rest of the place.
“Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” -- H. L. Mencken
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:48 am

A good start would be to figure out what the prevailing wind is and look on your map for any edges where deer can bed with wind and cover to back and have a good view in front of them. That should eliminate about half the place.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Thanks guys. Just wasnt sure if the bucks prefer one type of bedding over another in farm country.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:33 am

Moose wrote:Thanks guys. Just wasnt sure if the bucks prefer one type of bedding over another in farm country.

Actually, I think they do. But the preferred bedding depends what's going on on the farm or around it. I have seen farms that have had no pressure at all and the deer are very relaxed. I've also seen high pressured areas where it's hard to find a buck, but I know they are there from sign and trail cams.

Probably the biggest influence on bedding is pressure. And not just hunting pressure. Older bucks don't like to be bothered by anyone, not just hunters. They want to be safe and secure and will find spots that make them feel that way. Take a good look at the farm and see where the safest and secluded (for the buck) would be. Sometimes that takes a couple years for me to figure a piece of ground out. But that's me. I like to take my time and see the natural ways things happen on a property. Then, hunt I it accordingly.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”