September hunting advice.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kane243
Facebook: Alex Kane

September hunting advice.

Unread postby Kane243 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:08 pm

I’m currently in Kentucky on a diy hunt till the 20th hunting in western side of Kentucky. I haven’t hunted this early before usually I start in October. From the past two days of driving and glassing and some scouting I haven’t seen hardly any sign on the bean fields or regular fields. Are the deer at this time of September transitioning to oaks and I should move north and look for hill country oaks? What’s everyone’s experiences in this period of time. Thank you in advance!

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: September hunting advice.

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:43 pm

I hunt west TN. I struggle during this time. Once the soy beans get sprayed with defoliant, the deer become very hard to find. I’d check green swamp grass, I’d check the white oaks, I’d definitely try to find somewhere with water nearby.

Good luck, I usually start seeing the deer activity pick up around mid to late October and I really focus in on the finding the acorns.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:37 pm

Where I was at in KY last weekend it seemed like a bumper year for whites and sawtooth. Got on them in the oaks, and browsing in shorter crp fields, both really close to bedding.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:20 am

If you are in a hill area then using wind direction to pick bedding points is standard practice.

Dan had a workshop in Western KY and mentioned it being tough to find sign. Good luck and happy hunting.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:21 am

Don't know where in West KY you are, but I live in western KY. When the acorns start dropping, the bucks will find them. But if the beans aren't starting to yellow, they'll keep hitting them too. Once the velvet comes off the bucks get reclusive and usually this coinsides with the start of acorn drop. That's where I find them. The acorns will drop on the ridge tops first, later in the bottoms. We've had a pretty wet year, especially August, so I figured that the acorns won't be dropping good soon. But I haven't checked. Good luck!
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
KYHunter

Unread postby KYHunter » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:34 am

Just killed my buck here in Western KY(Sept 12th) over beans. He was a 5.5 or 6.5 year old. They are still hitting the beans hard as I’ve not seen many acorns drop yet.

Most are hard horned now and most of the bachelors groups I’ve been watching seem to have broken up.
I killed my buck by recognizing “the shift” in bedding and then finding a small rub line leading to the field edge.

With it being warm a lot of the deer aren’t hitting the fields til later. I’d say boot some Boots to the ground and try to find Heavy trails going into Ag with big orints(we just got good rain) and work back from there.

Good luck!
Kane243
Facebook: Alex Kane

Unread postby Kane243 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:24 am

Narrowed it down to Livingston wma. Has what I’m most used to hunting back home in WV. Yesterday’s scout hunt session resulted in two deer bumps and found a historic bedding area off a point. No fresh sign yet. Going to bounce around today and walk ag and fields trying to get on something fresh. The deer density really surprised me for this area. I thought it be thick with sign and numbers, but I feel like the density isn’t meeting what I expected. Still have several days left!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”