Anybody hunt Eastern shore of Maryland?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jvaughn415

Anybody hunt Eastern shore of Maryland?

Unread postby jvaughn415 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:06 am

Trying to change my hunting style from field edges, to beast style . Mostly flat land here with alot of ag, pine thickets, some open hardwoods. I hunt primarily on the edge and on a salt marsh. Wondering if anyone has experience hunting around here Beast style

Perception is reality
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Anybody hunt Eastern shore of Maryland?

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:21 am

I might be able to help. What’s your questions? You can PM me if you want.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
jvaughn415

Unread postby jvaughn415 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:06 am

Wlog wrote:I might be able to help. What’s your questions? You can PM me if you want.

I've always been the typical hunter, setting up on field edges, hunting over corn piles, etc. Really want to change up how I hunt. It seems a little difficult to apply beast type tactics around here. Although, I've figured some stuff out hunting on and around the marsh here on the lower shore. I also am not sure how to PM you either ha
Perception is reality
Carl Tuesday
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Carl Tuesday » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:45 am

Haven't made it over that way yet, but I want to go chase some Sika... That said your description matches southern MD around the patuxent and western chesapeake shore for sure. Unfortunately, I'm not much help, since I'm in the same boat as you.
jvaughn415

Unread postby jvaughn415 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:04 am

Carl Tuesday wrote:Haven't made it over that way yet, but I want to go chase some Sika... That said your description matches southern MD around the patuxent and western chesapeake shore for sure. Unfortunately, I'm not much help, since I'm in the same boat as you.

Im actually on the lower shore, on the forgotten side of the bay ha. It is very hard here to consistently find and get on big bucks. The only consistency is the big bucks out on the marsh. That just seems easier to pattern then anywhere inland. The problem is its hard to hunt out there, but that doesn't bother me
Perception is reality
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:15 am

I hunt both the Eastern and western Shore.

There is great hunting on the lower Shore but man, it's far. Are you hunting mostly public or private? Those marshes down there are super salty. They can be a bit different than the seas of phrag elsewhere on the brackish marshes found on a lot of the Shore.
jvaughn415

Unread postby jvaughn415 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:00 am

moondoondude wrote:I hunt both the Eastern and western Shore.

There is great hunting on the lower Shore but man, it's far. Are you hunting mostly public or private? Those marshes down there are super salty. They can be a bit different than the seas of phrag elsewhere on the brackish marshes found on a lot of the Shore.

I have private land. But I have more fun hunting the marshes of EA Vaughn. Far lower shore. Its the only place I've been able to somewhat figure out about big bucks. The Pine islands out on those marshes seem to be havens for bucks but so hard to hunt. Really my original post was asking about hunting elsewhere around here other then the marsh ; the flatland farm country with rowed pine forest
Perception is reality
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:17 pm

My brother lives in Calvert county . When visiting we went out to public land and I showed him some spots to focus on and put him on a dynamite spot for sure but he’s too lazy to hunt it lol. He can kill deer in his back yard
Carl Tuesday
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Carl Tuesday » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:28 am

tim wrote:My brother lives in Calvert county . When visiting we went out to public land and I showed him some spots to focus on and put him on a dynamite spot for sure but he’s too lazy to hunt it lol. He can kill deer in his back yard

I was looking over harvest statistics for the state to try and get a feel for things a few weeks ago. Calvert, like a lot of Maryland, has a few thousand deer taken every year - but only ~5% or so off the public land; kinda blew me away when I saw the numbers, but wasn't that surprising once I thought about it. Still seemed surprising given all the people I see at most of our WMAs, but like me, I guess most of us just aren't successful - At least up my way, last year I can count the number of days during archery season where I was the only one there on two fingers... and it was late in the year & crappy weather. And if I recall there are only 5 or 6 spots down in Calvert that are public.

That said, I'm sure if your brother is worried about hard work, folks like Archivist or myself would be happy to put in the effort! If I shoot a deer in my backyard, I'm pretty sure I'm going to jail, so that isn't an option.
mdshoreman21

Unread postby mdshoreman21 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:19 am

I was born and raised here on the shore. Been hunting it my whole life

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”