Is it just me...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mbarthelemy

Is it just me...

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 am

I started scouting for this season after the last day of deer hunting here in Virginia. I put in every piece of effort I think I am capable of doing. Been honing my bow skills at least 40 arrows a night for the last couple weeks from both the ground and saddle, and practice walk thru with full gear. Have a few promising spots picked out, but i have the mobility to scout/hunt. Now that the archery opener is only a couple weeks away I am feeling a bit of panic. To make matters even more confusing I was "put on" to 3 different Booner-class bucks that were not in my hunting plan at all...so now my focus is all jacked up. I guess it is a good problem to have. Still the feeling of panic tho.

The question is: Do any of you more experienced big buck serial-killers on here get panicked shortly before the opener, or is it just me being a tender snowflake?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Is it just me...

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:54 am

Your not the only one
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:21 am

You arent alone. My issue right now is that I feel like Im not shooting my bow well enough. Practiced all summer and Im actually shooting really well but now Im being super critical and nit picking everything I do with every shot now that the season is here.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am

mbarthelemy wrote:I started scouting for this season after the last day of deer hunting here in Virginia. I put in every piece of effort I think I am capable of doing. Been honing my bow skills at least 40 arrows a night for the last couple weeks from both the ground and saddle, and practice walk thru with full gear. Have a few promising spots picked out, but i have the mobility to scout/hunt. Now that the archery opener is only a couple weeks away I am feeling a bit of panic. To make matters even more confusing I was "put on" to 3 different Booner-class bucks that were not in my hunting plan at all...so now my focus is all jacked up. I guess it is a good problem to have. Still the feeling of panic tho.

The question is: Do any of you more experienced big buck serial-killers on here get panicked shortly before the opener, or is it just me being a tender snowflake?

They have booners in Virginia?

My problem is I can never decide which stand to sit when.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Some times you just gotta let go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:42 pm

I have kinda the opposite situation. Personally, I don’t care for early season. I don’t like 90 degree heat and getting eaten alive by insects. Just not what I call fun. So I do other stuff that I do consider fun. But if I got a tag in my pocket with only 2 weeks left in the season I feel some pressure. I mean it’s human nature to not want to fail. But honestly the higher u up the stakes the greater the chances are of failing. Guess I have reached a point where I’m ok with failure. Failing while being selective is a different animal to me then failing cause of just not seeing squat.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:47 pm

The drive to succeed is nerve racking. Especially when we put in so much effort, only to have a a guy in orange coveralls, who spilled gas all over himself while filling up on the way to his spot, kill a good one after walking in at daybreak, smoking a Marlboro, hacking up a lung.
Ryan
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:55 pm

I’m more nervous when I’m underprepared and hoping to blind sit into success. I’ve put some scouting in since then and have a handful of new spots to try. My biggest issue will be picking which spots to hunt and when. That will cause anxiety. But at this point, I have nothing to lose.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Ryan549 wrote:The drive to succeed is nerve racking. Especially when we put in so much effort, only to have a a guy in orange coveralls, who spilled gas all over himself while filling up on the way to his spot, kill a good one after walking in at daybreak, smoking a Marlboro, hacking up a lung.

I apologize for the hacking up a lung part. I had a bit of a cold. :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Dude, I haven’t shot my bow since last seasonand haven’t even bought my license yet and the Wisconsin season started today lol. Last year I put all my money in late October and early November and nearly paid off. Doing the same this year. No panic here. Lol.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:42 pm

I don’t get panicked but I am scrambling to find a good early season spot after all my velvet bucks have mostly disappeared. Our season in WV opens a week before you. I usually get out there early season and shoot a doe pretty darn quick and that takes the edge off. But 3 booners in VA sounds a little unreal-I never had anything like that...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mbarthelemy

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:34 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:Some times you just gotta let go!

Trying to for sure! To be honest this is the is the first time I have really been this anxious about the hunt. I usually have a more relaxed attitude about the whole deer season and I've been pretty successful. I think it has more to do with more of my focus on public land that ive never hunted, and second guessing the spots i have in mind.
mbarthelemy

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:35 am

brancher147 wrote:I don’t get panicked but I am scrambling to find a good early season spot after all my velvet bucks have mostly disappeared. Our season in WV opens a week before you. I usually get out there early season and shoot a doe pretty darn quick and that takes the edge off. But 3 booners in VA sounds a little unreal-I never had anything like that...

I like that idea of knocking down a doe to work out the willies and get a little meat on the ground. Yes, 3 booners in the last week have been put smack dab in the middle of my radar. I have an idea how I will hunt 2 of them, but the third one I am waiting for approval to hunt the area...Its on the property of my job.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:42 am

mbarthelemy wrote:
brancher147 wrote:I don’t get panicked but I am scrambling to find a good early season spot after all my velvet bucks have mostly disappeared. Our season in WV opens a week before you. I usually get out there early season and shoot a doe pretty darn quick and that takes the edge off. But 3 booners in VA sounds a little unreal-I never had anything like that...

I like that idea of knocking down a doe to work out the willies and get a little meat on the ground. Yes, 3 booners in the last week have been put smack dab in the middle of my radar. I have an idea how I will hunt 2 of them, but the third one I am waiting for approval to hunt the area...Its on the property of my job.

These booners are on public in Va!!??
mbarthelemy

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:50 am

VaBowKill5 wrote:
mbarthelemy wrote:

These booners are on public in Va!!??

No, 2 on private and 1 on my place of work's land..which is up in the air whether ill be able to hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”