Is it just me...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Re: Is it just me...

Unread postby briar » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:20 am

I think in the current climate of the world, if anything to do with deer hunting of deer killing makes you nervous enough that you seek public support you live a blessed life. Talk about first world problems.

VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:34 am

Well I’m from Va and my whole life I’ve only had the luxury of pursuing 1 gross Boone caliber whitetail and my brother killed him. If you have the opportunity to hunt 3 of those consider yourself blessed. I know nerves come into the equation but just let it soak in and enjoy every part of it because seasons like this in our part of the country are once in a lifetime.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 am

No panic here, I'm in it for the enjoyment. I do hunt better than average bucks, but I'm not in a hurry to get out there until the weather cools, the snakes thin a bit, and the ticks calm down.

Panic is pressure. Pressure causes mistakes. Chill out and take it naturally. Slip into the natural flow of the woods and you'll be fine.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:00 am

Pressure? I don’t get it. It’s just a deer. Who are you competing against? IMO if the answer isn’t you, you’re doing it wrong. But that’s just me.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:42 am

Dan likes to mention the "mental" part of hunting once in awhile....anxiety, exhaustion, hungry, or better yet...playing with a phone can get us all. I have to watch myself wanting to be in a hurry and cut corners which will get me every time. Its basically a measure twice, cut once thing for me. Double check my gear, take my time getting in the tree I need to be in at that moment, set up like a bank robber and watch-n-wait....go slow, have fun, and learn something :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:44 am

No pressure here. As the years go by I seem to get more and more relaxed. I didn’t even know where I was hunting yesterday till a few hours before going out. I like to make plans on the fly and they days find that to be much more fun and productive instead of staying awake all night doubting or second guessing my thoughts. I don’t get all worked up if something doesn’t go as planned. Tomorrow is a new day and a brand new adventure. My only goal is to fit as many of those in as I can while still physically able. Panic or pressure would totally remove the fun factor for me.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:59 pm

I used to when a I was a teenager, but I killed one of the bigger deer killed in my area and realized that, please don’t kill me, killing big deer isn’t a big deal. Just relax and remember you’re hunting for fun-or IMO should be anyways. Keep your focus on the truly important parts of life and don’t let your stress relief become your source of stress.

I say this above in confidence as I’ve done the same thing this year as well. I’ve ran 20 trail cameras all summer and also have several impressive deer to go after-far more than I have tags for. I can’t wrap my head around which one I want to pursue the hardest. Each deer has its ups and downs-some higher scoring than others-some just flat out old and cool-some an awesome combination of both but dang near nocturnal-etc.

I’ve made my decision I’m just going to swap out spots and if I get lucky enough to kill one of the big old 150” deer rather than the highest scoring ones I’ll be happy and maybe they’ll show back up next year!
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 am

First off, Good Topic!

On one hand I can definitely see where not being as prepared as you would like to be can bring on the feelings of anxiety. I would be remiss if I stated that I did not get that feeling at times myself. I don't like the feeling of being rushed.

However, as others have eluded to on here and I think somewhat a product of using a different approach and some of the tactics discussed on here, that should not be a problem as much anymore. Let me explain... For me those feelings would come from the fact that I was a rotational stand hunter and staunch pattern hunter that wanted to get to that pre-hung stand at a certain time because the deer sometimes come out between this time and that time. It's crazy to think about it now where if you are you have scouted multiple areas, then you can just adjust and go to a "B" or "C" area and leave your prime areas for another time when the conditions are right, to include your preparation. If you have not had time to scout, then just scout until you find some hot sign and don't feel like you even have to get in a tree. If all you do is learn the terrain of an area, or learn that an area you cyber scouted doesn't have the potential you thought it did, then you did way more than if you would have sat in a tree and saw nothing. For all the tactics that are discussed on here, the mental side takeaways are some of the best.

So relax, enjoy the woods, enjoy creation and enjoy the pursuit, all of that is what makes up the hunt.
Head
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:30 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Dude, I haven’t shot my bow since last season and haven’t even bought my license yet and the Wisconsin season started today lol. Last year I put all my money in late October and early November and nearly paid off. Doing the same this year. No panic here. Lol.

This is me if I have a choice in the matter.

Used to get all tizzy and it didn't help me do better, just stressed out. Breath deep! Have fun.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:15 am

Ever get a crack at any of those 3 booners? Trail cam pics?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”