No Routined Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

No Routined Bucks

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:09 am

Morning,

Saturday is the opener for me. Ive been itching to hunt all year. Currently on my two areas, I was hoping to have some bucks that I could see a routine based on scouting for cameras but that isnt the case. Bucks havent seemed to move into the area yet(super flooded the past two years). In the future Im going to try to scout more public so in this scenario I have more options since Im kind of limited myself currently. If you were in this scenario however, what would you do. Would you hunt observation sits or not hunt at all or scout more? Just curious to see what people are thinking. Right now Im planning to hunt oaks that I havent been able to scout at all and see if anything moves in there but aside from that Im waiting for hot sign and the rut currently which isnt necessarily what I wanted to be doing :?

muddy

Re: No Routined Bucks

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:12 am

If you've been doing a lot of scouting shake it up and do an observation sit. Go out. Relax. Enjoy some nature from a tree. That's what I'd do anyways, love a good observation sit.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: No Routined Bucks

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:28 am

It depends on if I think a mature buck is around. If I do, then I’m laying back observing. If I’m just hunting just to be hunting without first hand knowledge of a target buck being present in the area, I will scout and hunt in a tree.

My philosophy is that I have areas just for hunting does and that is where I will take a doe. Or wait until the end of the season. Otherwise I am mostly doing observation sets and scouting if I am not on any bucks. If I am on a buck then it’s observation sets until I feel like I have a turn and place to kill it. Sometimes that means bouncing around and hunting different spots within a woods. Dan talks about breaking areas down into 10 acre quadrants and hunting each one until you get the buck. This is if you know a buck is around but can’t pinpoint his travel.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”