New Year, New Technique. Saddle!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeadPhoenix

New Year, New Technique. Saddle!

Unread postby DeadPhoenix » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 pm

I'm super excited about this year, as it's going to be a major change. 7th year hunting 90% public land. When I first started hunting I used to ground hunt a lot and I still do sometimes, depending on the spot. I've used ghost blinds too. However, I wanted to get up off the ground and see a little better so I got a climber. The climber and I have had a rough relationship at times, with noise, weight ( I'm female and wading through brush with this on my back, snagging everything in sight for 2 miles sucked ) and being just cumbersome getting through the thick stuff quietly but ultimately I felt safer in it than a hang-on stand. Hang-ons always felt uncomfortable for me. A fall from a poorly-hung hang-on sealed the deal with that fear and I'm still trying to conquer that, but that's a whole 'nother story.

As each hunting year passes, I find myself hunting more mobile and hunting smarter. I pass on dozens of deer a year now and I'm getting pickier all the time. It's a good feeling. But it means I'm also moving around more, getting into places other people aren't. Thorns, thickets and other thick nasty. I was also tired of not being able to hunt the tree I wanted because it wasn't a telephone pole with no branches.

So, after doing a TON of research, reading reviews, scouring this site and so many others, I decided on a Kestrel Flex in ASAT which they just discontinued the color of. No one I know that hunts around me has even heard of saddles,I had none to try out, so I decided to just go all-in.

I got 4 beast sticks. Made a single step aider. Got a predator platform and I silenced my sticks and cam buckles with stealth strips. I got knee pads and ropeman's too. Practicing on trees on my property, I find this setup silent, easy and comfortable. What's really surprising is that I feel safer than ever before. I worried the feeling of hanging backwards would be nerve-wracking but instead the rope tension makes me feel solidly connected to the tree. I thought for sure I'd need to keep my lineman's belt on as well as the tether for good measure but no, I felt fine unhooking it and trusting the tree tether.

I've played with this setup more than I'd like to admit, going up and down trees, hanging there in my yard like a weirdo for those country cruising people to drive by and see and stare, and getting comfortable with everything. I'm really obsessing over the incoming season this year, even more than usual lol. The real test is going to be in the bitter cold late season, as it's my favorite time to hunt. Does anyone here have experience with that?

Is this going to be anyone else's first year in the saddle as well? Curious as to know you're setup and thoughts!

PK_
500 Club

Re: New Year, New Technique. Saddle!

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:59 pm

Yea I pulled the trigger on a phantom since my early season out of state plans fell through. Used the money I was going to spend on tags.

I haven’t had a chance to get into a tree with it yet. I have hunted a few different saddles over the years but never liked them more than my LW...

I am looking forward to using it this year quite a bit.

Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:05 am

I also bought a Phantom this year and a predator. Cut my LW sticks down to make them more packable and am very excited to get them out in the woods this Saturday!
DeadPhoenix

Unread postby DeadPhoenix » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:44 am

I hadn't even checked out tetherd's Phantom. Thanks for sharing guys and good luck!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:26 am

This is my second saddle year.
I have the Kestral Flex and really like it.
hunted out of it since October of last year.

I was upset to hear they no longer will have Asat camo. I definitely think Asat is some of the best camo on the market.

My flex is in Broadside though some of the white patches were bigger then I wanted so I put a few stealth strips on it.

Good luck this coming season hopefully you will like using the Flex.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:13 am

This will be my 3rd year saddle hunting. Current setup is a tethrd phantom, predator xl and 4 beast sticks. I've got a DIY klemz style platform I built that I've used the last couple years I will still use at times. Also got a single DIY stick I've built and practicing with single stick climbing, which I'm going to use a good bit. Would like to add the stuff to rappel down with, but that may wait til next summer as I've went over my budget for this season lol
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:42 am

This will be my first year with a saddle. Excited about it. Plant to use my Lone Wolf Assault Handclimber seat as much as I can to get up trees. Also have LW sticks. I bought some cheap knee pads just to try out. Like it so far.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:54 am

Going to my first year with a saddle setup as well. I got a Cruzr XC and a set of Hawk Helium climbing sticks. Will be using a single aider to get a little extra height out of my setup. Don't have any trees in my yard to practice on but definitely getting the stares from my wife as I am walking around the house with it on and going through the setup looking for little metal clicks and taps to silence.

Good luck to everyone trying something new this year. Let us all know how things work out, the good and the bad so we can all learn together!
Head
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:13 am

DeadPhoenix wrote:I hadn't even checked out tetherd's Phantom. Thanks for sharing guys and good luck!

They have a new one coming out on the 17th I believe. Eberhart signature series.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:42 am

New to saddle here too. Got the Phantom & Predator. First time climbing sticks.

I'm very excited about being mobile for the first time. Always been terrified of climbers and didn't think I was strong enough to manage a hand on, so I never did.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:04 am

I went with the phantom saddle this year. Going to be a learning curve on top of beast style hunting but that's part of the fun. I like my lw sticks but I'm really thinking bout getting beast sticks next season or changing the top step on my lws. Having a single step on top while hanging the next stick kind of blows.
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:36 am

Wihunter95 wrote:I went with the phantom saddle this year. Going to be a learning curve on top of beast style hunting but that's part of the fun. I like my lw sticks but I'm really thinking bout getting beast sticks next season or changing the top step on my lws. Having a single step on top while hanging the next stick kind of blows.

Yeah that isn't fun having to do that balancing act while also trying to be as quiet as possible, and most importantly not fall!
Head
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:08 am

Check out Cruzr XC as well. Just got one a couple months ago having had a new tribe prior. Awesome product
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:31 am

3EA4FA08-E34A-41F7-A52C-846AF762002C.jpeg

My mission platform with 4 beast minis and one regular size. Also bought a kestrel flex. Roughly 6-7lbs lighter this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeadPhoenix

Unread postby DeadPhoenix » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:41 am

You guys have some sweet setups! I have a pack that the sticks strap to, and I plan on stuffing the predator platform inside it, along with my other hunting stuff and bringing it up the tree with me to hang with the tetherd molle tree strap.

I'm really glad I got the ASAT design before they stopped. Been using my ASAT leafysuit for a long time and have had deer so close to me on the ground I could have touched them. I was busted in that suit when I was perfectly still only once and I'll never forget that old scarred-up doe. It really does work. I'm not sure how accurate seeing black and white pictures are for deer sight, but ASAT really disappeared more in those than other camos.

I'll be looking at the other saddles but really, I doubt I'll try a new one anytime soon. Then again..I probably shouldn't say that... lol.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”