Urinating in scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swelch

Urinating in scrapes

Unread postby Swelch » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:41 am

im sure several ppl here have heard the myth about mock scrapes or active scrapes. And using human urine to get the bucks interest. How many have actually tried it and is it effective at all. Im a bigger fan that less is more but ive seen car hood sized areas torn up after this was done. Always at dark though

muddy

Re: Urinating in scrapes

Unread postby muddy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:02 am

I always pee in scrapes and bucks will stick their nose right into it no problem. The problem I run into is that I'm so manly all the bucks vacate the area after they smell my musk.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:03 am

Always and never seen it bother them.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:05 am

I pee in several a year and no problems. Sometimes I'll fresh an existing one and sometimes I'll make a mock scrape, just depends on location and time of year.
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:07 am

I've heard it and some of my family swear by it but then again the pictures of mature bucks immediately shift to night time. There is also a ton of dog hunting pressure on the lease right next door as well so the bucks either wise up fast or get a pickup ride as soon as they are legal.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:56 am

FWIW:
One other thing to keep in mind is that many medications are filtered out bu the kidneys and excreted in urine.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:16 am

Test it yourself. Go to a community scrape you know of that is open every year, do the deed and drop a cam.

First time I tried it out, I did it on a scrape I described but it wasn't really being used yet. Noticeable tho. Once I did it, the local does started using it and then the bucks followed suit.
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:43 am

I'll def have to give it a try this season
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:10 am

I’ve never understood the logic behind peeing in a scrape the deer are already using. For me, they are already doing what I want so why jack with it.

Now on a mock scrape I will sometimes use something to ensure they find it. Usually just pour a shot of vanilla somewhere close it so they will catch a whiff of the fresh kicked up earth. Also have had good luck stabbing the moc licking branch in a jar of peanut butter. Now I got the deers scent exactly where I want it and they take over.

Based off my cams the biggest prob I have on a new moc scrape is bucks passing by the upwind side and never notice it. I try to funnel it down but often still fail from keeping them on the downwind side.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:10 am

I have tried it- have never had a noticeable negative reaction. I tend to side with it creates curiosity. I’ve had bucks in scrapes within a few hours of me peeing in it. My conclusion- it does not negatively impact bucks- but I don’t know if it “attracts” them.
Ryan
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:40 am

I tried doing this one season and all the scrapes went dead after I did this. I believe the medication I take was a factor. I've heard some swear by doing it and others don't. So to each their own i guess.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Bowstring

Unread postby Bowstring » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:46 am

Have you ever drank a bunch of coffee in the morning then went to pee and you could smell coffee....lol.....I wouldn't do it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:05 pm

My answer is not from a fear of scarring deer off with the smell of human urine. I pee out of the stand religiously, and have never witnessed deer come sprinting in like a hot doe. Have never witnessed scarring the bejesus out of any either. But my tracks to a scrape has, as well and my scent blown to the cover. I just don’t see a point of walking up to an already active scrape.

Read once about a ungodly amount of times a deer urinates in a day. Mix that in with every other critter in the woods that urinates. Now if a deer can’t smell the difference between any urine, wouldn’t they be running around everywhere if it did something to excite them?

Again I’m no biologist here, but it makes sense to me. The goal when starting a moc scrape is to get deer to visit. If they are, then why in gods earth do u wanna drag your scent right there so u can pee in it?
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:04 pm

I made a mock scrape a couple seasons ago and whizzed in it. Had a 2 year old buck go check it out the very next day. He seemed indifferent and kind of ignored it and went on his way.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Hung this camera after a hunt. This buck came by within an hour of me leaving....that's MY puddle in the scrape I just made. I knew in was going to be making a scrape so I drank all the water I had and soaked it down good.

Apparently I can't link to photobucket anymore. They must have decided to shoot themselves in the foot completely.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”