Chiggers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Chiggers

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:11 pm

If I wear pants and tuck em in my boots I usually don’t ever have any probs. It’s when I get careless and wear shorts and crocs that they feast on me.

Worst problem I run into is during the season and the tree I need to be in has a thick poison oak vine. I talk myself into it every time. Usually doesn’t end well for me.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 pm

Hands got ate up too.

20200906_201258.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:If I wear pants and tuck em in my boots I usually don’t ever have any probs. It’s when I get careless and wear shorts and crocs that they feast on me.

Worst problem I run into is during the season and the tree I need to be in has a thick poison oak vine. I talk myself into it every time. Usually doesn’t end well for me.

I'm lucky in that I am immune to poison oak and ivy. Definitely liked by mosquitoes and chiggers though.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:13 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:If I wear pants and tuck em in my boots I usually don’t ever have any probs. It’s when I get careless and wear shorts and crocs that they feast on me.

I did the shorts and crocks not too long ago also, bad idea lol
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:50 pm

For early season I use tan camo and spotting those flippin evil demon seed is much easier than with green camo.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Rmallen
Facebook: Roth mallen

Unread postby Rmallen » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:41 pm

I have an uncle who seared by anti perspirent. Around ankles exposed skin and waistline. I haven’t tried yet. Seem cheep and easy enough though.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:05 am

Been there done that with the poison oak vines. I had one tree where I cut and sprayed the tree for the next year. Vines gone but still got the rash! I have learned that even a year after the tree still retains the oils. I have since avoided said trees which is unfortunate since it seems like the “best” tree often has poison ivy or oak growing in it.

Btw I do agree that having everything sealed up as well as possible is the best preventative for fleas but sometimes I still get them around the waist band. It’s amazing how they are able to get where they do on the body.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
AndreSaavedra

Unread postby AndreSaavedra » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:58 am

[quote="<DK>"]Sorry these are old pics. Iv been looking for them for a long time too! You cant really see the chiggers in the bad pics but you get the idea.

I'm sorry I don't see the chiggers but I do see a lot of ticks, what I'm I missing?
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:48 am

mheichelbech wrote:

Been there done that with the poison oak vines. I had one tree where I cut and sprayed the tree for the next year. Vines gone but still got the rash! I have learned that even a year after the tree still retains the oils. I have since avoided said trees which is unfortunate since it seems like the “best” tree often has poison ivy or oak growing in it.

Btw I do agree that having everything sealed up as well as possible is the best preventative for fleas but sometimes I still get them around the waist band. It’s amazing how they are able to get where they do on the body.

I have read that even after killing the vines will have the oil for up to 5 years. I also have read that the oils can stay on a surface, or clothing for around a year if its unwashed....so I'd bet if you remove the vines from trees your looking at at least a year before you could touch it without getting a rash
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:52 am

jmaas07 wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:

I have read that even after killing the vines will have the oil for up to 5 years. I also have read that the oils can stay on a surface, or clothing for around a year if its unwashed....so I'd bet if you remove the vines from trees your looking at at least a year before you could touch it without getting a rash

I believe that, cause just the other day I got that crud all over my hands. Couldn’t figure out how I got it. Then it hit me! I had just put stealth strips on my stick the day b4. I believe my strap had that oil all over it.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:00 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
jmaas07 wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:

I believe that, cause just the other day I got that crud all over my hands. Couldn’t figure out how I got it. Then it hit me! I had just put stealth strips on my stick the day b4. I believe my strap had that oil all over it.

I keep fast orange hand cleaner in my truck, wash up with that after im in the woods, then shower with dish soap when I get home. You got a few hr window of getting the oil off before you get the reaction
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:04 am

This thread has me itching! Got into poison oak a few weeks ago clearing a tree for my dad. I usually don’t get affected by poison oak/ivy, I didn’t like it. But it want nearly as bad the few times I’ve gotten eaten up by chiggers, I wanted to amputate my freaking legs.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:06 am

For prevention method, I use Deep Woods Off, be sure to spray all over but concentrate heavily around the ankles and waist band. For whatever reason I find they like to get where clothing is tighter and hotter, i.e. socks and underwear waistband. As someone suggested on here, be sure to reapply if you will be where they are all day.

A tip for treating bites, use noxema or oxy pads and scrub the bite area with the pad, it will help take the itch away and helps speed up healing. Isopropyl alcohol can be used in place of the pads. Once dried top treating with neosporin will help to speed the healing process as well.
Head
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:06 am

AndreSaavedra wrote:
<DK> wrote:Sorry these are old pics. Iv been looking for them for a long time too! You cant really see the chiggers in the bad pics but you get the idea.

I'm sorry I don't see the chiggers but I do see a lot of ticks, what I'm I missing?

Not sure what youre missing. Those pics are from middle of summer, no bug spray. I havent had ticks or chigger bites in years bc I use the base layers. I used to dump bleach down my legs to stop the itch.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Permathin didn't work as well as expected.
Putting my legs up while watching TV soaking in calamine lotion and neosporin.
Hopefully this won't gross anyone out.
I got around 80 bites.
Other leg is about same.

I'm just fortunate they stayed below the important area.

They look better today then yesterday healing fast.

Sharp thorny Kentucky grass cut me up pretty good.

20200906_194654.jpg

Gorgeous legs, Tennhunter3.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”