Why so serious?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Why so serious?

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:38 pm

I’ve been on the Beast almost 5 years. And to be quite frank, for most of em I was pretty disappointed that I hadn’t put it all together and gave a big buck a place on my wall. Lots of guys seem to figure it out quick.

But darn it. Not this year. I’m not gonna take myself so seriously.

“You gotta hunt every day you can”
“You have to pick the perfect tree”
“You have to do EVERYTHING perfect to get a big buck”

These, and many more were all thoughts that went through my head every hunt.

For all the stuff I learned here, I’m hunting this season with a new mindset.

“Make an educated guess”
“And try the crazy idea”

I’m gonna have a banner year!!!

I get to bow hunt with my Dad again. (I got him a Xbow after his stroke)

My sister is coming home for gun season the first time in 12 years. She’s making her big city fiancé see how she grew up before they get hitched. My brother, his girlfriend, my mom, and my girlfriend are all gonna be hunting the gun season.

I’m still on the pursuit of bagging a dandy with grandpas 30-30 while he’s still around.

I’m gonna spook some bucks, I might miss, I probably won’t hunt the best of the best spots based on who comes along. I’m gonna laugh and have a good time. I’m gonna see how close I can get in a ghillie suit. I’m gonna Hunt that spot 200 feet from the road. I’m gonna hopefully shoot a buck that gets my heart thumping.

How do you guys keep from taking yourself too seriously?

At least I don’t have the pressure of being “The Big Buck Serial Killer” or some other well known guy.

Must be exhausting to feel like everyone expects you to make the perfect move every time.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Why so serious?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:53 pm

isitseasonyet? wrote:I’ve been on the Beast almost 5 years. And to be quite frank, for most of em I was pretty disappointed that I hadn’t put it all together and gave a big buck a place on my wall. Lots of guys seem to figure it out quick.

But darn it. Not this year. I’m not gonna take myself so seriously.

“You gotta hunt every day you can”
“You have to pick the perfect tree”
“You have to do EVERYTHING perfect to get a big buck”

These, and many more were all thoughts that went through my head every hunt.

For all the stuff I learned here, I’m hunting this season with a new mindset.

“Make an educated guess”
“And try the crazy idea”

I’m gonna have a banner year!!!

I get to bow hunt with my Dad again. (I got him a Xbow after his stroke)

My sister is coming home for gun season the first time in 12 years. She’s making her big city fiancé see how she grew up before they get hitched. My brother, his girlfriend, my mom, and my girlfriend are all gonna be hunting the gun season.

I’m still on the pursuit of bagging a dandy with grandpas 30-30 while he’s still around.

I’m gonna spook some bucks, I might miss, I probably won’t hunt the best of the best spots based on who comes along. I’m gonna laugh and have a good time. I’m gonna see how close I can get in a ghillie suit. I’m gonna Hunt that spot 200 feet from the road. I’m gonna hopefully shoot a buck that gets my heart thumping.

How do you guys keep from taking yourself too seriously?

At least I don’t have the pressure of being “The Big Buck Serial Killer” or some other well known guy.

Must be exhausting to feel like everyone expects you to make the perfect move every time.

I’m entering Beast season 2.5. I am taking a similar attitude. I wanted things to happen quickly. Now I want them to happen. I believe I can get there, but I have timel

I’m going to apply what I know.

It may not be enough, but I will do what it takes, while not having unrealistic expectations l

Good luck to you this season!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:28 pm

isitseasonyet? First, I want to commend you for having your priorities right. Your closest relationships are your greatest treasures. Sounds like you have a great foundation to live by.
Enjoy every time you're able to get out in the deer woods. Take time to breath in that fresh air and enjoy God's creation along with those you love. I view bowhunting
like a journey, each year getting wiser as I go forward. I was finally able to shoot a nice buck 2 years, after many years of drought. You are in a great place here to learn from many guys
who are pulling for your success. By the way, I've been having a blast the last several years hunting off the ground in a ghillie suit. Nothing like being up close and personal-- doesn't matter
if it's a buck or doe. Your heart will be pounding out of your chest. Sounds like you're on the right path. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. We're pulling for you.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:34 pm

Stanley’s quote is burned into my mind.

“You don’t have to be the best. You just have to do your best.” It’s so true.

I’m a firm believer that putting extra pressure on yourself is a recipe for disaster. That used to be me. Not anymore...

A relaxed mind is a dangerous mind. Get in there and get after ‘em. Whether you kill him or crash and burn, just make sure you’re having fun. After all, if you’re not having fun chasing deer around then why do it? 8-)

Sounds like a fun season ahead. I’m looking forward to kill pics.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:00 am

2nd season here, after 1st year spring scouting. I know a little more than I used to. But last year that was one of the best things I took from Dan is the have fun and don’t be so serious attitude he has now.

I'm gonna be mobile for the first time, I'm gonna screw up, spook deer, learn and have fun. My goal, try to arrow one bigger than last year. Not much pressure there since last years was a small broken 7 point. I entered the big buck contest for the first time ever, never had confidence to do that before. Even if I don’t get one, no big deal. If I do and it's 8 points or better I will still enter it because it met my goal of "bigger than last year".

I'm working part time now because covid so I will have more time to be out there. A little less than a month to go time!
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:46 am

I’ve never been a take stuff very serious type of guy especially when it comes to hunting. The only reason I’m out there is because it’s fun for me. So, doing what u gotta do to make it enjoyable is a must imo.

I know several guys who turn there yearly hunting into a stressful situation. I’m talking getting fighting mad cause they haven’t seen a big buck yet. I couldn’t ever hunt that way. Heck, I don’t even wanna talk to em come deer season cause of the negativity. Those people have a way of bringing me down.

Keeping it fun and setting realistic expectations is the way to go if ya ask me. Good luck
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:09 am

Great post and attitude.

I'm guilty of having grumpy face from being too serious. But am aware and working on an attitude adjustment.

The scouting side is very enjoyable and I want the season to have that same feeling.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:28 pm

I think we are all guilty of this at some point or another. I know I am. I've found that taking a day or two off always gives me a new, fresh perspective on my season! And then I'm ready for action again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:18 pm

Ive been there. You’ve got the right attitude for this year. Just go hunt for the sake of having fun and making memories. When it’s all said and done those trophy deer mounts everyone is after will be hanging in some run down bar or cheesy chain restaurant.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:52 pm

A few years ago 10ish I decided that I wasnt having fun anymore, putting to much pressure on myself. I decided then to stop stressing about hunting. Even sleeping in when I was burnt out. Ever since its been great & guess what the bigger bucks have been easier to come by, go figure. Mike
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:22 am

You have a tremendous opportunity to spend time hunting with your family. I would bet a million dollars when you look back at this moment in time as an old man you'll cherish the time spent with them more than any buck on your wall. I hope hunting season becomes a tradition in your family for many generations to come.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:32 am

Unlike the days of old, we do this for fun, not out of necessity. When it stops being fun, then it's time to take a break.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:39 am

In my younger years I put a lot of pressure on myself to kill a good buck every year and as a result was really bummed out if the season ended without tagging one. Not sure how I got to that point but suspect it just built up over time and started when I began holding out for bigger bucks about 20 years ago. I think it’s a stage most hunters go through at some point. It made me reevaluate why I was actually hunting. If it’s not fun anymore why bother? I love hunting to much to give it up so knew it was time to get my head screwed on right again.

These days I enjoy the process as much or even more than the kill itself. I no longer look at a season as being a failure if I don’t tag a big buck. The big picture is so much more important to me. Don’t get me wrong I still love killing bucks but I will no longer get consumed by it. Keeping it fun is my only goal now. Keeping a positive attitude is tough when you feel a lot of pressure so I eliminated the pressure part many years ago. I seriously love the grind of the hunting season. Topping it off with a big buck is great but the journey is what I now live for. Every day is a new adventure to add to the memory bank. As you get older they become more and more important because you never know when your last hunt may be. It sure makes you enjoy the simpler things so much more.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:30 am

I’m 48 now , have shot a handful nice bucks . Screwed up on more than I can remember . I enjoy the grind now and less about filling a tag . I get more out of guiding my son and scouting new areas . Still Learning all the time , now that I’m mostly hunting public land these days and really learning from it ...just taking the good and bad in stride . Don’t over think where to hunt ....just scout a lot , but trust your instincts on the when and where.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:04 am

If your in decent health then it’s a 90% mental game. That part gets better with age imo. Outside influences don’t bother you has much. It’s more fun when you do what you want and don’t care what others are doing. Some people perform better under pressure. And they like being the hardest of the hardcore. Personality A types that work their tails off.Most professional athletes are like this IMO

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”