Moon phase and weather

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SwampApe

Moon phase and weather

Unread postby SwampApe » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:03 am

Hey guys, I’m looking for some direction here. I would like to check the past for weather, moon phase, barometric pressure, etc. and compare that to my trail camera photos. I just want to see if/how these factors may effect deer movement because I have never actually done this. I was wondering is there a good website where I can find all of this information? Or should I just check daily and record it in a log book? Just looking to be pointed in the wire direction. Thanks everybody.

may21581
500 Club

Re: Moon phase and weather

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:42 am

Check daily and log it. You can check twice if you like once in the morning and once in the evening in case it changes up, if not then just use the one recording. When you have a nice one on camera look back a few days and see what changed.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:26 am

may21581 wrote:Check daily and log it. You can check twice if you like once in the morning and once in the evening in case it changes up, if not then just use the one recording. When you have a nice one on camera look back a few days and see what changed.

I planned on doing this if nobody knows of a good website. I’m just forgetful, so I’d hate to miss a day. Thank you!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:27 pm

SwampApe wrote:
may21581 wrote:Check daily and log it. You can check twice if you like once in the morning and once in the evening in case it changes up, if not then just use the one recording. When you have a nice one on camera look back a few days and see what changed.

I planned on doing this if nobody knows of a good website. I’m just forgetful, so I’d hate to miss a day. Thank you!

Some folks on here use spreadsheets, some use apps, and some like myself use a hunting journal which consists of a 3-5 subject paper binder. I record alot of stuff then through the season anyrhing relevant i add as well. You can make it what you want into be and you will get out what you put in. I found them super beneficial and learned a ton from them. I credit several of my bigger bucks to using them. I just made it a habit everyday to write in it and record info rather i hunted or not. In time you can start to see patterns and at the end of the season you can see what led to your success and failures.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Bother way i hate autocorrect and need to make a new habit of proof reading before I post. Lmao
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:39 pm

Wunderground.com
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:50 pm

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:02 am

I found a site that I found helpful for looking at moon info. It has a nice organized chart that shows the sunrise and sunset, mon rise and moon set, the overhead and underfoot times, and the moon phase.

go to:
weatherforyou.com

plug in the zip code you want to check out, then hover over the "solunar" tab and go to "monthly sun and moon"

you can search by month/year. This has been by far the most organized way to look at moon info that I've found, and you can look at either future or historical data.

On a quarter moon overhead at 7:03pm I glassed a bean field with 20+ deer including 9 bucks of which 5 were definitely shooters. Six days later in the same field I saw 8 total deer, 3 bucks and one was a shooter. Maybe a coincidence... maybe not...
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Thanks everybody for the awesome suggestions! I will definitely utilize these sights AND keep a journal of the data! I really do appreciate it and hope you guys all do well this season.
apersohn17
Facebook: Adam Persohn

Unread postby apersohn17 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:11 pm

Definitely Weather Underground.

Wunderground.com

I don’t think it has moon info, but there is a historical section that is pretty nice.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:08 am

The moon effect is pretty simple but making the chart can be tricky for the first time.

If a new moon and full moon are not the best days to hunt, then it makes sense that 1/4-1/2-3/4 are good days. There are a few days in a row during the half moon phase where o/h & u/f both happen during shooting light (or close). Every cycle o/h & u/f will trade AM/PM. One cycle o/h will be in the morning, the next it will be in the eve.

If you want to do it yourself there are a few ways to make your chart. I prefer simple route, the way Dan used to make them. If you just want to try it and see if it works for you they have the app you could pay for. Based on my comparison - they will go 1.5hrs before first light and after last light. I generally cut it off at 1 hour.

Theres an argument to be made for both sides. Some days youll see some movement not having an initial explanation and vise versa not see any movement. I dont think there is any denying those days o/h & u/f happen in the same day are great.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:27 am

<DK> wrote:The moon effect is pretty simple but making the chart can be tricky for the first time.

If a new moon and full moon are not the best days to hunt, then it makes sense that 1/4-1/2-3/4 are good days. There are a few days in a row during the half moon phase where o/h & u/f both happen during shooting light (or close). Every cycle o/h & u/f will trade AM/PM. One cycle o/h will be in the morning, the next it will be in the eve.

If you want to do it yourself there are a few ways to make your chart. I prefer simple route, the way Dan used to make them. If you just want to try it and see if it works for you they have the app you could pay for. Based on my comparison - they will go 1.5hrs before first light and after last light. I generally cut it off at 1 hour.

Theres an argument to be made for both sides. Some days youll see some movement not having an initial explanation and vise versa not see any movement. I dont think there is any denying those days o/h & u/f happen in the same day are great.

check out that website i mentioned above. Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but it has a good chart with all of the moon info I can think of that you would want.
try this link, and hopefully it helps
https://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/i ... 62&cwa=LSX

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”