Advice on This Spot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Advice on This Spot

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 am

Ok beasts. I need some advice from some experts here. Yesterday i walked into a spot real quick that had been on my mind for quite a while. I found the most defined bed that i have come across in my area yet. I circled the bed on the picture in red. There was lots of swamp grass on the edge of that west facing point totally matted to the ground, and there was a good clump of hair in it that appeared to be older, maybe shed this spring. It was underneath a big tamarack surrounded by brush and swamp grass. From the bed, the buck could see almost the entire marsh around him. The thing that seemed a little off to me was that the shape of the bed seemed to be oriented for a north/south wind, no so much for and east wind as i wouldve expected. I didnt walk across the marsh to the west facing point, as i was just doing a quick spot check based on a hunch. The last 2 years i have seen 2 good bucks in this area. 1 trail cam pick of A 140s class 8, and a 130s class that was shot by a neighbor about a half mile west of where i saw him in the field to the north.

My question is, how would you go about hunting this area? I have a feeling that theres also good bedding on that west facing point, but at this point i dont want to walk in there. The land surrounding the marsh was clearcut 5-7 years ago, so its very thick. On the east side of the marsh the road that runs north and south has been planted with clover over the years. But we never seem to get pictures of mature bucks along that road. Should i assume they're spending more time in that clear cut feeding and moving around? My initial idea to hunt this is to hunt up along the bowl NW of the west facing point on a westerly or southwesterly wind.

Thanks for any feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Advice on This Spot

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:06 am

Assuming the access is from the road to the north, is there a way to use the higher elevation and one of the hardwood trees near the road to do an observation sit? Obviously you would want to have your wind right for this but it seems to me this property is set up perfectly for an observation sit as you wouldn't have to walk through the property to accomplish this. And no need to wait for the season to start to do this. You could do it tonight! The more I think about this, the stronger my suggestion gets, ha!

Do you happen to know where the food source is? If not, an observation sit would also potentially tell you this. That might give you a better idea where to set up on this deer but a lot can change from not till mid September as well...
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:19 am

Yes, i can access from the north and and east. Their are clover fields north of the clear cut, but i seldom see or hear of large bucks eating in the fields (this is my family's land, and they drive in and out daily), so im fairly certain theyre staying in the cutting until well after dark. I could set an observation stand on the north side of that bowl and see down to both points in the marsh, but i don't think id be able to see anything moving unless they cross the marsh as its so thick.

NorthStar wrote:Assuming the access is from the road to the north, is there a way to use the higher elevation and one of the hardwood trees near the road to do an observation sit? Obviously you would want to have your wind right for this but it seems to me this property is set up perfectly for an observation sit as you wouldn't have to walk through the property to accomplish this. And no need to wait for the season to start to do this. You could do it tonight! The more I think about this, the stronger my suggestion gets, ha!

Do you happen to know where the food source is? If not, an observation sit would also potentially tell you this. That might give you a better idea where to set up on this deer but a lot can change from not till mid September as well...
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:25 am

Cchez wrote:Yes, i can access from the north and and east. Their are clover fields north of the clear cut, but i seldom see or hear of large bucks eating in the fields (this is my family's land, and they drive in and out daily), so im fairly certain theyre staying in the cutting until well after dark. I could set an observation stand on the north side of that bowl and see down to both points in the marsh, but i don't think id be able to see anything moving unless they cross the marsh as its so thick.

NorthStar wrote:Assuming the access is from the road to the north, is there a way to use the higher elevation and one of the hardwood trees near the road to do an observation sit? Obviously you would want to have your wind right for this but it seems to me this property is set up perfectly for an observation sit as you wouldn't have to walk through the property to accomplish this. And no need to wait for the season to start to do this. You could do it tonight! The more I think about this, the stronger my suggestion gets, ha!

I see, any oaks or any other good forage near bedding that you are aware of? Have you tried shining that field an hour after dark? This could give you direction that the deer is coming from when entering the field.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:30 am

NorthStar wrote:
Cchez wrote:Yes, i can access from the north and and east. Their are clover fields north of the clear cut, but i seldom see or hear of large bucks eating in the fields (this is my family's land, and they drive in and out daily), so im fairly certain theyre staying in the cutting until well after dark. I could set an observation stand on the north side of that bowl and see down to both points in the marsh, but i don't think id be able to see anything moving unless they cross the marsh as its so thick.

I see, any oaks or any other good forage near bedding that you are aware of? Have you tried shining that field an hour after dark? This could give you direction that the deer is coming from when entering the field.

0 oaks in the area. The cutting was made 5-7 years ago, so its full of youngish growth. Its mostly aspen and some maple and conifers. I dont shine it as i live a ways away and have a young family that i spend my evenings with. I might just have to give it an observation sit and see what i see.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:52 am

Got it! I promise to shut up after this as I am out of ideas here. But I know others on this site have mentioned those newly cut areas as gold mines for deer forage. A lot of potential for berries, saplings, etc. And you mentioned maple trees. I know Dan has talked about how bucks love sugar maples and when the leaves turn yellow. Not sure if you have sugar maples or not.

Either way, I am going to follow this post and look for updates! Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”