Interesting QDMA Article

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Interesting QDMA Article

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:08 am

I know most guys here are already pretty in tune to hunting the nasty wet areas, but i just figured id share this article as i found it interesting.

https://www.qdma.com/what-scientists-le ... 2020-08-27

Trout
500 Club

Re: Interesting QDMA Article

Unread postby Trout » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:15 am

Rally cool, thanks for sharing!
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:19 am

This was a good read, thank you for sharing. I like how they tied the "low pressure areas" to be similar to the wetland areas in the study, as it makes sense and makes it relatable to those that do not have wetlands in their area of hunting.
Head
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:45 am

If you really want to nerd out on it, here's his dissertation: https://udspace.udel.edu/bitstream/hand ... sAllowed=y
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:50 am

Not using wetland areas increased a buck’s risk of mortality by a factor of 2.7,
meaning he was nearly three times more likely to be killed compared to a buck who regularly hid out in swamps and forested wetlands.

That's a good motivator for thick & nasty...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:56 am

Somebody posted a podcast where he was a featured guest recently l Can’t remember what the post was titled. :lol:

Anyway, it was good. It was on the Hunt The Land podcast. Episode 108
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:27 pm

Thanks for posting this Cchez! Great information to compliment the podcast noted in this thread. This study is a bit different than the Penn State studies because is hourly location info for the WHOLE hunting season. I would love to see a graphic from this study of mature buck bedding (on an aerial photo on an hourly basis). Anyways, it confirms a lot of my own personal observations (after 110 years of following the beast)!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Good read
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:03 am

The wetland information is interesting. I have several big wetland areas I hunt which always have big bucks. My trail cameras tell me these bucks are big because they’ve spent nearly their whole life in these big wetland complexes and it’s hard to kill deer in them. I have many pictures of these bucks as they have grown up.

It’s naturally a very attractive area for deer with food and cover in close proximity and it seems to constantly be refilling with young bucks. Many of these 1.5-2.5 year old bucks get killed. However statistically many survive so there is usually a good crop of 3.5 year olds with a smaller percentage of 4.5 plus. I do think they get smarter but their survival has much to do with the fact that it’s just hard to kill them in these spots no matter how hard they get hunted.

Conversely, other areas I’ve watched and run cameras have just as many young bucks and does but they are easy to hunt. I never see big deer on these pieces.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”