Something useful for marshland hunters...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HEINEN86

Something useful for marshland hunters...

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:21 am

Not sure if these were ever brought up before since I am new on here but since starting to hunt marsh land this year I learned very quickly it wasn't going to be easy...wearing tall boots...hip waders and chest waders we would walk the property and sink in knee to waist deep. I honestly thought we wouldn't be able to hunt our property. My brother ended up finding a company overseas that makes Mudder Boots...best investment I ever spent. They are stupid looking and uncomfortable as if not worn with the right footwear since they kind of rock side to side and dig in. But you literally walk on top of the cattail muck....spots we'd sink in knee deep or worse we would be ankle or mid shin. Even if you do get waist deep you can still easily lift your feet and get through. Like I said not sure if anyone ever mentioned these before but these things work like advertised. I was skeptical but desperate because I thought we ended up buying useless land. These made access possible.

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Something useful for marshland hunters...

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:42 am

I just recently heard of something like this. Definitely sounds like a valuable addition!
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:52 am

Those were posted here a number of years ago but I never tried them. Guess I enjoy knee deep marsh much a little too much. :shifty:

I’ll have to check them out again. 8-)
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:40 am

We use mudders duck hunting sometimes - they are hard to walk in but will keep you from sinking in too deep.

They are tough - will last many years. My dad's pair is around 20 years old.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:31 am

HEINEN86 wrote:Not sure if these were ever brought up before since I am new on here but since starting to hunt marsh land this year I learned very quickly it wasn't going to be easy...wearing tall boots...hip waders and chest waders we would walk the property and sink in knee to waist deep. I honestly thought we wouldn't be able to hunt our property. My brother ended up finding a company overseas that makes Mudder Boots...best investment I ever spent. They are stupid looking and uncomfortable as if not worn with the right footwear since they kind of rock side to side and dig in. But you literally walk on top of the cattail muck....spots we'd sink in knee deep or worse we would be ankle or mid shin. Even if you do get waist deep you can still easily lift your feet and get through. Like I said not sure if anyone ever mentioned these before but these things work like advertised. I was skeptical but desperate because I thought we ended up buying useless land. These made access possible.

Thanks... I know Bowhunter15 (aka DIY Sportsman from YouTube aka Garrett Prahl from real life) dis a video on them a while back (might have been THP public land challenge MN), but I don’t ever recall seeing if he actually used them much afterwards.

Good to hear actual in-the-field reports.

What footwear works best with them?

And I imagine you just put them on before you step off the mainland so to speak, regardless of how shallow you expect the water to be?

And last one, do you also use them while walking trails that cut through cattails?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:49 am

greenhorndave wrote:
HEINEN86 wrote:Not sure if these were ever brought up before since I am new on here but since starting to hunt marsh land this year I learned very quickly it wasn't going to be easy...wearing tall boots...hip waders and chest waders we would walk the property and sink in knee to waist deep. I honestly thought we wouldn't be able to hunt our property. My brother ended up finding a company overseas that makes Mudder Boots...best investment I ever spent. They are stupid looking and uncomfortable as if not worn with the right footwear since they kind of rock side to side and dig in. But you literally walk on top of the cattail muck....spots we'd sink in knee deep or worse we would be ankle or mid shin. Even if you do get waist deep you can still easily lift your feet and get through. Like I said not sure if anyone ever mentioned these before but these things work like advertised. I was skeptical but desperate because I thought we ended up buying useless land. These made access possible.

Thanks... I know Bowhunter15 (aka DIY Sportsman from YouTube aka Garrett Prahl from real life) dis a video on them a while back (might have been THP public land challenge MN), but I don’t ever recall seeing if he actually used them much afterwards.

And I imagine you just put them on before you step off the mainland so to speak, regardless of how shallow you expect the water to be?

And last one, do you also use them while walking trails that cut through cattails?

Yes, Garrett has a pair and it was shown on the Minnesota Public Land Challenge series. I'll reach out to him and see what info, reviews, etc that he has on them.
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:01 am

greenhorndave wrote:

Right now I'm using them with a pair of Winchester 600 gram boot....something with thick sides because they will dig into your ankles because they tend to rock side to side...I will be using them with 1000 gram chest waders come Octoberish...looking to some how pad sides with foam. Anyways I do put them on literally right before stepping into the cattails to hopefully preserve them the best I can from walking on the road.
And I sure do wear them on cut trails...as long as I'm walking in that stuff those boots will be on. Right now the marsh I hunt is dry as can be from the drought we got but it's still so mucky that with a regular boot you sink right in. These keep you right on top. Hope my review helps....because they really helped us on our property.
Thanks for the questions!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:40 pm

I remember the old thread on them. Those that tried them said they were good in areas with huge open mud flats. Like near oceans. But got too tangled in the really thick, dense cattail marshes like they were hunting. Here in WI.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:50 pm

stash59 wrote:I remember the old thread on them. Those that tried them said they were good in areas with huge open mud flats. Like near oceans. But got too tangled in the really thick, dense cattail marshes like they were hunting. Here in WI.

Pretty sure that’s why I never bought them. If they worked great guys around here would no doubt be using them. Huge dense cattails marshes are a totally different animal. The old timers used marsh ski’s but looking at them that must have really sucked maneuvering those things around in the marsh. I can’t even imagine. :o

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”