Andrae D'Acquisto on latest W2H Podcast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

Andrae D'Acquisto on latest W2H Podcast

Unread postby comeback_kid » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:45 am

I listened to the latest W2H podcast with Andrae and it was very interesting to hear Mark pick his brain--particularly b/c it seems he rarely does interviews.

Some follow-up tactical questions I had were:

- he talked about walking through areas and blowing bucks out (I think in order to find bucks) is this a version of stacking? Has anyone on here had this work for them?

- He also mentioned walking around during the rut in order to find groups of bucks b/c there is a hot doe in an area and you can set up and they won't be bothered b/c they're not moving away due to the hot doe. Anyone have a story about doing this?

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Andrae D'Acquisto on latest W2H Podcast

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:04 am

Never heard of the guy. :whistle:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:21 am

I listened too.

Search for bump and dump. You'll find examples on the site.

Overall, he talked a lot, but didn't say a lot, if that makes sense. Mark pressed him for more details, but he danced around it, or maybe couldn't articulate it well. He might not be a natural teacher.

Always good to hear what a guy with his kill level has to say. I didn't really find anything earth-shattering though.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 am

I have noticed Andrae is tight lipped unless he has something to sale and I am not interested in buying anything from him.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:17 am

The portion regarding the rut was interesting to me, when he was talking about just walking around and looking for the bucks. I also noted that he does hunt mornings.

It seems like Mark Kenyon did a great job asking clarifying questions and trying to flush him out. I did feel like what was said above is true--it was a long interview and there was not a lot of meat on the bone. Always worth listening to someone is that accomplished.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:26 am

As far as being in an area where there is a hot doe was during the rut is concerned. It is what makes those magical rut days, and when you see nothing during the rut it's because the bucks are where she is and you are not. I have seen mature bucks do dumb things to stay with hot does. It has been the downfall of many a monarch.
If it was legal to shine in the early morning hours during the rut. I couldn't think of a better tactic than finding an area with that special girl who all of the boys want.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:00 pm

The smell of a rutting buck or bed is unmistakable. Like opening a new bottle of urine. Early season I think their beds smell like a barn animal. Very potent like you just opened the door.

The only reason I know is bc I bumped a buck too many times on scattered rainy day. The wet grass holds scent for awhile - which is also something to consider when walking thru a hunting area or checking cams.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:44 pm

The guys answered above answered perfectly for me. Alot of words, not alot of useful substance despite Mark's (as usual) fantastic interviewing. But, even if you have to ignore the salesmanship and the attitude, anyone with that hunting resume is worth listening to.
Not all those who wander are lost...
AppalachianArcher

Unread postby AppalachianArcher » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:53 pm

<DK> wrote:The smell of a rutting buck or bed is unmistakable. Like opening a new bottle of urine. Early season I think their beds smell like a barn animal. Very potent like you just opened the door.

The only reason I know is bc I bumped a buck too many times on scattered rainy day. The wet grass holds scent for awhile - which is also something to consider when walking thru a hunting area or checking cams.

100% :clap:
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:17 am

Felt like listening to someone get interviewed by their biggest fan. I listened to this because Andre has a great resume and I hoped to learn something net, but any time he answered, I couldn't help but say to myself, "yeah, but, the dude is hunting a managed property in Iowa." I know he didn't start out that way, and some of the tactics he employs didn't develop there, but...I dont know, I just don't have any respect for that or hunting specifically for antler score. To each their own.

Kenyon mentioned that no one has the coaching tree that Andre does. I think that's only true if you put Dan on that tree. If you take Dan off of that tree, I am not sure thats true. I'm sure Dan and Andre swapped notes when Dan spent a lot of time promoting lone wolf, but i am pretty sure from listening to interviews that Dan hunted the way he did before he met Andre. Or am I off base on that? I've got a book published in 1993 where the author interviews a bunch of accomplished whitetail hunters, and the part on Mitch Rompola's tactics has all sorts of stuff in common with beast tactics. Not saying Rompola is at the top of the coaching tree. Just that great hunters hunt very similarly without the others influence. when i hear people talk about who influenced their hunting style, I hear the names Infalt and Eberhart more than anyone. Unless it was someone on the whitetail addictions pro staff, I dont think I've ever heard Andre's name come up.

The interview with andre on the hunting beast podcast had much better info. I didn't learn anything new on this one.
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:55 am

greenhorndave wrote:I listened too.

Search for bump and dump. You'll find examples on the site.

Overall, he talked a lot, but didn't say a lot, if that makes sense. Mark pressed him for more details, but he danced around it, or maybe couldn't articulate it well. He might not be a natural teacher.

Always good to hear what a guy with his kill level has to say. I didn't really find anything earth-shattering though.

^^^I agree with this 100%. Wishing he talked less but said more.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:01 am

I have to agree with the above statements. Lot of talking and no meat to go with the potatoes.

Felt like I was listening to a product commercial. Honestly I dont know anything about the man are what he has done are not done in life outside of being the former owner of lone wolf.

But listening to him made me feel like he didn't want to or didnt know how to answer questions that could help someone.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:49 am

I’ll pass on this one. :hand:
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:49 am

Like everyone else has said, I didn't think there was a lot of substance to it. Andre did a lot of talking, but there wasn't really anything tought.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:57 am

I didn’t listen but based solely on comments I would guess he is not hunting the same deer or conditions I am. Will use the stomping around during the rut example. 1.) if u hunt tiny 20 acre parcels getting down and going for a woodlot stroll is a good way to ensure u don’t see squat.

Believe on the looking for the hot doe that would work great on larger chunks of land with light pressure deer. In my case doe just don’t hang around if u go busting through there personal space. I have some light pressure private stuff to and the deer act different. In such cases a old doe with blow, stomp, circle your tree for a good amount of time. In a pressure public situation they don’t. They might blow, but it’s while they are shagging John Brown hind parts to safety. In my experience if u walk up on a hot doe in a pressured area she is gonna flee and take ever buck in the area with her. Will also say morning hunting exclusive private works all year. As well as rattling, grunt tubes, acorn cruncher and various other tactics that will plain screw the pooch in a public setting. Just my hillbilly opinion of course and I don’t have a fraction of bone on the wall as to the man.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”