Andrae D'Acquisto on latest W2H Podcast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

eazyduzit94

Re: Andrae D'Acquisto on latest W2H Podcast

Unread postby eazyduzit94 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:35 am

Everyone knows I'm not really a fan of the D'Aquistos, but when someone can get Andrae by himself for an interview, I'll listen. I agree that he talks a lot, even reels a guy in to listen, but doesn't give much detail. If you didn't know anything about him, he seems like a guy that you would have a few beers with at the local tavern. I do kind of enjoy his gear/use talk, eventhough it's really nothing groundbreaking. The way he explains things reminds me of a grandfather explaining to his grandson the old timers commandments of hunting. It's actually quite interesting to me. I do live about 1.5hrs away from Andrae's farm here in Iowa and a lot of his tactics actually do work well here on a lot of properties, not just on his. I have done the bump and dump before I even knew what it was called or it being "his" method. I missed more shots than I've had connect though. The part of the podcast that caught me offguard was when Mark asked him about the charges. Hearing Andrae's explanation really reminded me why I don't like him that much. I know Dan defended him when he was charged, but his explanation to me didn't really give me a sense he was innocent. Which is a real shame for a guy that really has knocked down some giants and is known as one of the pioneers in the mobile game. It just takes some of the credibility away from him IMO. But then again, I've never been in his shoes or have all the facts. I still thought this podcast was more interesting than the guys going on everyone's podcasts lately literally saying what Dan has given us for info over the years and acting like they just discovered it as their own without giving zero credit to Dan.

If shooting 130's was a sport, I'd have a gold medal.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:23 am

Didn’t listen. Figured it was just a sales pitch op for his stands and tactically I doubt he is saying anything new or different than from a decade ago.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:37 am

comeback_kid wrote:I listened to the latest W2H podcast with Andrae and it was very interesting to hear Mark pick his brain--particularly b/c it seems he rarely does interviews.

Some follow-up tactical questions I had were:

- he talked about walking through areas and blowing bucks out (I think in order to find bucks) is this a version of stacking? Has anyone on here had this work for them?

- He also mentioned walking around during the rut in order to find groups of bucks b/c there is a hot doe in an area and you can set up and they won't be bothered b/c they're not moving away due to the hot doe. Anyone have a story about doing this?

Last year in South Dakota, we ran into 2 mature bucks with a hot doe. Stalk #1 was close, but ended up blowing the deer out (this is midday, right around noon). That evening, we went back into the same area, and we were closing in on the area where the 2 bucks and doe had ran off to at midday, and....we busted all 3 of them again. The next morning, we glassed the bigger of the two bucks (~145" 10-point) guarding a doe in a fence row right at first light. They were less than a 1/2 mile from where we had saw them the previous day. Within an hour, there were 5 bucks dogging this doe around, including the 2 shooters from the day before.

I didn't listen to the podcast, but I'd have to agree, at that time of the year, you can get away with a lot as long as you don't blow the doe in heat out of the area completely. I think it's also super important to realize that the golden window only lasts 24-36 hours. The first day, we had eyes on the doe for a while and there were no attempts to breed, so we had a really good feeling all of those bucks would still be on that doe the following day. If you observe that doe being bred or mature bucks actively attempting to bred her, that window won't be open much longer (12-24 hours). This type of situation is one of those situations that you have to capitalize on immediately.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:28 am

I didnt listen to this one, but I listened to a podcast one time when he and his kid were going at it on bumping and dumping. It was kind entertaining to listen to. I agree- they are vague but they threw in a few good points. I wouldn't intentionally or "hard" bump a buck where I hunt in Michigan. That thing will leave the planet! I DID like what they said though if you "soft" bump a buck.- Typically if the buck isn't sure or doesn't recognize what bumped him, they will typically come back and hunt that bedding area right away in the morning when he returns. Or if you cant do that following morning give it a couple days and hunt the evening.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:31 pm

MichiganMike wrote:I didnt listen to this one, but I listened to a podcast one time when he and his kid were going at it on bumping and dumping. It was kind entertaining to listen to. I agree- they are vague but they threw in a few good points. I wouldn't intentionally or "hard" bump a buck where I hunt in Michigan. That thing will leave the planet! I DID like what they said though if you "soft" bump a buck.- Typically if the buck isn't sure or doesn't recognize what bumped him, they will typically come back and hunt that bedding area right away in the morning when he returns. Or if you cant do that following morning give it a couple days and hunt the evening.

Definitely the soft bump advice is great.

I didn’t take it seriously enough last year and it cost me a good opportunity. They get real curious if they cannot see or smell you and often come back to be certain of what spooked them.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:43 pm

I listened and was somewhat disappointed. He talked a lot but didn’t really say much. I think all of marks questions didn’t really get answered even after being pressed to explain further. Maybe he just isn’t the best with the wording. I think he has a lot going on in his mind at one time. A lot of what he said seemed jumbled. Overall I expected more and wanted to learn more but I’m also not sure he could of pumped any more air into his tires.. good on mark for getting him on the podcast though, likely not the easier ones to setup
ButtonBuckFever

Unread postby ButtonBuckFever » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:56 am

His ego got in the way of his learning points (and those were good but spaced out). I had to find the box and flick the channel.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:43 am

greenhorndave wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:I didnt listen to this one, but I listened to a podcast one time when he and his kid were going at it on bumping and dumping. It was kind entertaining to listen to. I agree- they are vague but they threw in a few good points. I wouldn't intentionally or "hard" bump a buck where I hunt in Michigan. That thing will leave the planet! I DID like what they said though if you "soft" bump a buck.- Typically if the buck isn't sure or doesn't recognize what bumped him, they will typically come back and hunt that bedding area right away in the morning when he returns. Or if you cant do that following morning give it a couple days and hunt the evening.

Definitely the soft bump advice is great.

I didn’t take it seriously enough last year and it cost me a good opportunity. They get real curious if they cannot see or smell you and often come back to be certain of what spooked them.

Right! yeah seems like they will eventually stick to their home range and circle back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”