How to beat the heat?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

How to beat the heat?

Unread postby DhD » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:19 am

This is my third season of real archery hunting, and for the first time, this year we are in a drought, and it's hot! My previous two seasons it has been above average precipitation here, and deer have not needed to prioritize water. This year many of the small cattle ponds and creeks are dried up. I've actually been using dry Creek beds for quiet entry to glass.

My strategy for the ten days I have left before opener is to try to identify ponds, creeks, and water holes that still have water in them. Lots of speed scouting, and looking from the top of the hill with binos. What other features do you look for in the dry heat? How does your strategy shift? I feel like it may actually condense some of the bedding. Thoughts?

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: How to beat the heat?

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:11 pm

I try to find the oaks that will be dropping good during the first week of season and back track from there to the nearest water source between it and their beds. In my area most times it's very lil puddles where there use to be a tree and when it died, fell over it leavt a hole that is filled with water.

In my areas this is the best water source to set up on during early season when it's very hot and facing drought conditions.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:27 pm

Not sure your topography but when I bow hunted nebraska in hot temps shade was huge. Whether its tucked up to a canyon wall or a lone cedar tree on a hill.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Swamp Stache wrote:Not sure your topography but when I bow hunted nebraska in hot temps shade was huge. Whether its tucked up to a canyon wall or a lone cedar tree on a hill.

I'm assuming you were up in the Sandhills? Lot different terrain southeast, all farm country.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Last time I archery hunted there I was in the sw corner. Half farm half canyon/pasture land. 10 more days and I'll be headed for the nw corner to hunt. Cant wait although it does sound like a dry year down there.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:52 pm

Swamp Stache wrote:Last time I archery hunted there I was in the sw corner. Half farm half canyon/pasture land. 10 more days and I'll be headed for the nw corner to hunt. Cant wait although it does sound like a dry year down there.

Northwest is interesting. Not a lot of public up there, but some. I just assumed you had been in the Sandhills, because that seems to be what out of state hunters think Nebraska is. It takes me longer to get to Chadron from Lincoln than to drive to Chicago, two states over. Southeast is all farm country, and very small pieces of public land. 500 acres is a large area.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:36 am

Sorry about the drout.

Any way you could help the deer find water? Some shovel time, maybe?

I doubt that a nice new water source would cause the deer to abandon an area - they'd go running to it.

Otherwise, still need to pattern them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”