Cold weather base layers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossberg90MN

Cold weather base layers

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:04 am

So last year I spent too much time freezing in my stand. I actually ended up pulling the plug on my season once firearm season started. I definitely regret the lost opportunities but I was always freezing in my stand!

So with that said I’m in the market for some good base layers that will keep me warm and let me sit in the stand no problem. Being from Minnesota, we start getting cold come late October. I’m personally okay in the 30s, but once we get into the 20s that’s when I start to cave.

Any recommendations on good base layers for the cold weather?

Tribute80

Re: Cold weather base layers

Unread postby Tribute80 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:22 am

I use the stuff from Scent blocker. Koretec Polar and Koretec Weight. I buy them when they run their 50% off sale. I wear both when its in the teens or low 20s and only the Polar when its in the upper 20s to mid 30s. I don't live in the cold so i probably dont have the tolerance someone from Minnesota does. Also it allows me to wear lighter outer clothing. I switched to these from regular long johns and thick outer clothing after my string rode my jacket sleeve down. What a crappy day that was. :lol:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:37 am

I like Minus33 merino wool as well as First Lite merino wool

The First Lite wool is easier for me to move in without getting sweaty. As for comfort once I am on stand, the heavier Minus33 is my favorite. I will also add, the Minus33 seems to last a lot longer than the FL as far as durability and long lasting
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:28 am

I stick with Nike and UA but last year I learned something on the beast that helped a lot. I can’t remember which beast but it was the best tip ever.

Dress light when walking to your stand and bring extra clothes.

When I get to my tree I will let my body cool off for about 5-10 mins but not too much. Then I set up my sticks and stand.

Once done I come back down and cool off for 20-30 mins and I actually change out of my clothes. I bring a towel to dry myself. I put on a dry shirt, dry socks, switch out my hat. Sometimes even pants depending.

Once set I go back up my tree and I’m warm as heck. I learned that it doesn’t matter how many layers I have if my base layer is all wet.

It’s a lot of extra stuff but I find it worth it. I hunt Wisconsin and Michigan.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:55 am

Why not just dress incredibly light so you sweat less on the walk in, then wear an IWOM and not worry about all the other stuff?
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:18 pm

I've been evolving as I get older.

I've learned layers are key for me.

I start with under armour type material. Then a heavier weight synthetic...you can find the stuff fairly cheap in early spring when box stores to from winter to summer.

From there I like to go-to fleece.

All 3 of those layers are extremely breathable and dry quick. Then I have various outer layers I wear. Often packed in.

I also pack in extra socks and after my hike, I change them. That's huge for me. Foot powder/spray, liner socks and socks. My feet sweat bad so that's the first to go for me.

I dress pretty light and keep my layers open if I am wearing them in. I will sit there till I'm getting pretty cold before I put the heavy layers on and bundle up.

A wind breaking liner or layer is also huge. Even a slight breeze will chill your bones on those cold days. I think that's where a lot of guys fail. All the expensive stuff out there won't stop that wind from taking the heat out of you. I had a pair of flannel lined running type pants...windbreaker/shoowsy pants I always called them when I was a kid. Man they were GREAT for a layer when it was cold.

For layers, IMO look outside the hunting industry. At the end of the day, a merino wool shirt is a merino wool shirt. It's going to function the same wether it was made by a hunting company or not. Same with all the synthetic stuff. Off brand athletic stuff works just as well without the price tag.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:32 pm

What worked for me last year in northern Ohio/pa

Minus 33 light merino
Cabela’s mid weight ECWCS polys (if real cold)
Cabela’s windstopper hoody
Polartec military surplus fleece layer
Wooltimate outer layer from Cabela’s

I pack in my layers on my stand and dress after hanging, I sweat too much on those long walks
Last edited by bigredneck61088 on Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:33 pm

Merino is good for layering but do yourself a favor and buy a pnuma heated vest. They are lightweight and provide instant warmth on demand.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:10 pm

I had this issue in Tn.
Though it rarely gets below about 10 degrees here.

I bought some
Minus 33 baselayers. Last year
Then a sitka fanatic hoody this year on sale for 62.00 as a mid layer.
Then a Badlands wasatch jacket if its above 10
A Oros jacket ontop if its below 10.

This is my layering system.

I havent hunted below 0 in this but I stayed warm in the coldest weather my state gets.

You cant go wrong with Minus 33 baselayers.
I havent tried first lite ones or grey wolf though.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:25 pm

A good, possibly cheaper base system that I have found works for me is the fleece base layer from Rocky Boots. I wear a lighter weight base layer first, then the fleece base layer. I have fleece lined mid-weight gear that I put on next and if it gets colder, then I wear the heavy stuff on top of the other layers.

Like others have mentioned on here, when you know you are going to be warmer and sweat (i.e. walking in), layer down. To avoid moving around alot at the base of the tree I am going to climb or an area im going to scout/stalk I will stop approx 100yds out, stay there for 10 minutes or so to cool down and then add the other outer layer because my movements will be much slower and less sweat producing going forward. Again this avoids extra time, movement and noise once I get to the tree. I have experienced and seen other instances (THP channel) where sometimes the noise your making to setup (unless you clank metal) will draw a deer by. The less time you spend at the base of your tree rather in the tree will be in your favor.
Head
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:19 am

I definitely agree with dress light when walking in and carry your heavy outerwear with you to put on after you cool down.
I really believe that helps so much!
I also bring a couple packs of hand warmers as well.
I put one each in my front pockets for my hands. This really helps keep me warm too.
I have heard of some guys sewing pockets on the backs of their next to skin layers to hold the hand warmers around their kidney area with good effect too.
Although I have yet to try that
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:32 am

There is a ton of info out there about staying warm in the tree stand. I have tried a lot of different things being a bit of a junky for hunting gear. Being a smaller guy, I’ve always tried to find the lightest stuff to keep me the warmest that is also quiet. I’m sure it’s different for different people. My experience, as someone who gets cold easily, has been the following:

1) Merino is definitely not the warmest by weight but is great as a next to skin base layer as it doesn’t get cold when wet. It also doesn’t stink up if you are on a multi-day hunt without a washer. Also, merino is not the same across brands. The cheaper stuff is more itchy/scratchy.

a) Really want to check out the Alpaca/Merino hybrid by Thlete
something I’d like to check out.

2) Fleece is much warmer but retains odor. It also doesn’t seem to be super breathable but that may just be because of what I use which aren’t hunting brands.

3) A must have for me in all layers is the ability to unzip halfway. I swear in my chest area and this is where most of my overheating is generated. Being able to air out my chest area on the walk in is important.

4). I use Grey Wolf Woolens bibs and they are awesome for super cold weather. I use a GWW jacket below 35 degrees and then add underlayers as it gets colder. In the 20s I add a First Lite Uncompaghre. I want to try Thlete’s puffy or the new Predator jacket as a possible replacement for both. I’d like to find something to replace the GWW jacket/Uncompaghre combo for the low 20s. I do really like the Uncompaghre for it’s fit and all around comfortability but it just isn’t as warm as expected.

5) I tried the Sitka Fanatic jacket and it just didn’t fit me right. The medium was too small and the large was too bulky. Also, just didn’t like the angled zipper at the collar, it gets in the way of how I use my release.

Generous use of hand warmers is a big help.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:18 am

This is my process and I've never had to call it a day because I got cold. Not to say I don't ever get uncomfortable, but I'm never so cold I can't take it. I can make it through a day of twenty degree temps like this, with a little walk after my morning sit to afternoon spot.

I start with merino wool base layers or a wool polyester blend base layer.

All of my layers are ventable, either 1/4 zip or henley this way I can cool down quickly when I need to. Mid layers are micro fleece henley, and a polar tech fleece vest. Outer layers are wool.

As others have said, I go in lightly dressed base layer top and bottoms, with my wool pants, generally no hat and a light pair of gloves, I expect to be a little cold when I start on the trail. The rest of the layers I pack in.

I bring three disposable hand warmers, two of them go in the pocket on my vest, one in chest one in hand. These help supplement my body heat on stand. The third is in my jacket pocket, I rotate that as needed on my hands or neck, wherever I need it. Accessories, include wool hat and gloves, fleece balaclava or neck gaiter. I wear a light wool poly blend sock, and the Cabela's Deluxe Cold-Weather Wool Boot Socks. These socks were the game changer heavy socks that go up just over the knee, a third layer of warmth on your lower leg that helps to keep your feet comfortable.

When walking in I try to give my self plenty of time, so I don't have to rush and work up a sweat. Sweat is what will chill you to the bone more than anything, that trapped moisture saps your body heat. Once on stand, I wait a bit till I cool down then get dressed. My goal is to get there and situated with the least amount of sweating.

I always chuckle to myself when I see someone dressed like the Michelin Man heading to their stand. They'll be lathered up in no time wiping their brow and sweaty by the time they get to their stand and cold soon after that.

Lastly staying warm and enduring the cold uses calories, so it takes food to keep the body's furnace burning, along with my PBJ lunch, I bring a cloth bag of trail mix, typical stuff, nuts, dried fruit and chocolate. I will pick at it throughout the day, especially, if I feel a chill coming on. it helps to take your mind of being cold and helps to keep the internal furnace burning.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:03 am

I have some merino wool and some wool stuff from Duluth Trading company that I really like. But for me I just wear insulated wranglers, a wool long sleeve, and a sweatshirt to the stand. Then its right into the Heater Body Suit. Hands down best investment I've made. That and the IWOM seem to be personal preference but they are a game changer.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:16 pm

Anyone tried the new zip off base layer? I think first light makes it? I remember hearing about it on a THP podcast. Sounded very interesting. Suposed to be able to drop your outer layer and zip baselayer off with taking off your boots. Sounds like a good idea
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”