Trail Cam Story: 1 yr in a Big Buck Bedding Area

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Public Prowler

Trail Cam Story: 1 yr in a Big Buck Bedding Area

Unread postby Public Prowler » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:02 am

Hey Beasts,

This year I let a trail camera of mine soak in a big buck bedding area for an entire season. We set this camera in the preseason and picked it up during turkey season in the spring. This was in an area with good staging, low cedars and thickets, huge buck sign that arrived around early November or 2018, and several known single buck beds.

I can’t emphasize how important and helpful these all season soaks are. I got many pictures of giant bucks and when they popped up on other cameras around the area, I was able to trace their movement from bedding area to food. This season I left this particular area alone (despite its promise of action) to see how the deer moved with natural pressure from other hunters. The result was multiple pictures of big bucks, some bucks coming back repeatedly at consistent times, and gaining another piece of the puzzle of this public land.

I will post pictures once they are converted from my computer, but I want to see if anyone else has had this experience with year long soaks? What did it help you find/learn?

PS: please check out my other thread in Deer Hunting (the Mentor Thread). It’s a process in which other hunters can learn from lessons others experience as the season progresses and a place where others can provide advice to common issues. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55881

Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt, then scout again.
Lockdown

Re: Trail Cam Story: 1 yr in a Big Buck Bedding Area

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:42 am

Looking forward to pics! :dance:

I have hung cameras over beds multiple times. The result are usually decent, but surprising. I found that even good looking beds got far less use than I expected. Also, I don’t think I had any deer lay in a bed for longer than 3.5 hours. They get up to relieve themselves and browse around quite often.

I also saw very little indication of the same bucks repeatedly using the same bedding. Granted, I didn’t have my cameras set in “the best of the best” type primary bedding.

It’s definitely fun to play with cameras in this manner, and you can learn a ton if done right.

Any idea when you’ll have pics up?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:47 am

That’s a really good strategy and thanks for sharing.

I hope you can hang one on your wall. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:26 am

Lockdown wrote:Looking forward to pics! :dance:

I have hung cameras over beds multiple times. The result are usually decent, but surprising. I found that even good looking beds got far less use than I expected. Also, I don’t think I had any deer lay in a bed for longer than 3.5 hours. They get up to relieve themselves and browse around quite often.

I also saw very little indication of the same bucks repeatedly using the same bedding. Granted, I didn’t have my cameras set in “the best of the best” type primary bedding.

It’s definitely fun to play with cameras in this manner, and you can learn a ton if done right.

This is the truth, especially winter beds when everything is dead and the leaves are already down. I’ve had cameras over what appears to be well used beds, came back in a month with zero deer having actually laid down and the bed still looking freshly laid in with hair in it still.

I’ve also never had a buck lay in the same bed for longer then around 3.5-4 hrs, though I have had them get up browse around and either lay back in the same bed or reposition a few yards away.
Public Prowler

Unread postby Public Prowler » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:15 am

Lockdown wrote:Looking forward to pics! :dance:

This area is very thick cover in an overlooked spot. I put the camera between many beds and near a satellite/marking post rub. Got pictures of bucks chasing does through there and a few of the same bucks visiting repeatedly. I will post pictures around Monday. I’m currently out of town and will have to get back home before I have access to the card the pics are on.
Public Prowler

Unread postby Public Prowler » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:27 am

greenhorndave wrote:That’s a really good strategy and thanks for sharing.

I hope you can hang one on your wall. :D

Thanks Dave! Just hoping if I get lucky I can afford it :lol: I know I’ve got a lot to learn but I’m thankful for every day in the outdoors.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:06 am

8-)

Very cool, and a great way to use cameras to set yourself up for success in the future.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:51 am

I'm very interested in this. Thanks for sharing.
saint1480

Unread postby saint1480 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:50 am

it sounds like this is going to be some great intel for you. And what a great example of how cameras can be used to your advantage and not become a crutch.

Nice Work

Nick
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Can you elaborate on the size of the bedding area?
KYHunter

Unread postby KYHunter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Looking forward to the pictures. I’m planning on doing a similar strategy this year with cell cams. Hopefully will gain valuable in season intel but also intel for future seasons.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:21 pm

I haven't really figured out how to use cameras to help at all IN the season without impacting the area. So I hang/move/check when I'm hu ring that area. But I'm there and hunting camera or not.

In season I've gone to something similar, but not over beds. Places I hunt once I like to leave a camera behind....Places I'm curious about but not sure...places i don't have confidence enough in to burn a hunt...places I know there is sign every year but not sure WHEN.

Like you said, the results are usually surprising. Sometimes if I'm passing through or hunting the area I grab them. I don't think I've ever left because the camera Intel was bad. Usually it's way better than I ever expected and I am on the edge of my seat. Lol.
Public Prowler

Unread postby Public Prowler » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:40 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Can you elaborate on the size of the bedding area?

The bedding area that had the potential for deer to bed was an oval around 60 yards long and 40 yards wide. The deer stayed localized to a 20 yard diameter circle for the most part. The camera was sent in an entry path to the bedding area. It caught many bucks leaving their tiny beds to socialize/feed.
Public Prowler

Unread postby Public Prowler » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:43 pm

mauser06 wrote:I haven't really figured out how to use cameras to help at all IN the season without impacting the area. So I hang/move/check when I'm hu ring that area. But I'm there and hunting camera or not.

In season I've gone to something similar, but not over beds. Places I hunt once I like to leave a camera behind....Places I'm curious about but not sure...places i don't have confidence enough in to burn a hunt...places I know there is sign every year but not sure WHEN.

Like you said, the results are usually surprising. Sometimes if I'm passing through or hunting the area I grab them. I don't think I've ever left because the camera Intel was bad. Usually it's way better than I ever expected and I am on the edge of my seat. Lol.

This is a fantastic idea and one I love to follow. I put cameras next to me in trees occasionally so checking them has the exact same impact as when I hunt them. I’ll bring a fresh SD card and batteries to a hunt and that way I monitor the deer from high up, also minimizing their interactions with the camera. You’ll see in the pictures I’ve got my camera hung around where the base of my stand would be and there’s a short thicker surrounding my tree, preventing bucks from skirting it’s view or coming right up to the tree base.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Agreed. I too like to hang my cameras a bit higher of the ground. Keeps them "out of the deers world". And out of would be thief's world. I definitely think it helps with deer not seeing/smelling/noticing the camera. I also only run no-glows for the same reasons. Don't care what they say...if you can see white/red whatever colored glow at night, the critters HAVE to see something out of place. Being a coon hunter, I've seen many cameras at night. Video mode is probably the worst. Looks like space ships and some make awful noises too. I give up some range at night with no-glows...but I don't get the classic "deer in the headlights" pics like many guys get. And I've noticed even mature bucks go by and come back through and don't avoid the area like they did before I started all that..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”