Got a buck on camera an hour after dark is it taking him that long to walk 100 yards??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Denisboyko22

Got a buck on camera an hour after dark is it taking him that long to walk 100 yards??

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:49 pm

I literally just got him on a cell camera I put up on a leeward ridge and I found 1 large single bed surrounded by super thick above and wide open below at a small point on a bigger point but the human trail is above him maybe 50 yards through thick thorns. So basically a wall but the closes oaks are 100 yards away at the end of the leeward ridge by the bench/inside the bowl I really do believe there's a very mature animal bedding there but I didnt think it would take an hour to get 100 yards to food especially while in velvet!! I have a feeling he might be on a leeward ridge near by or he mightve went down to get water from a pond and then went to these oak trees.
Also sorry if these seem like dumb questions im still new to hunting I've only hunted 2 years so I'm still questioning everything I've learned through podcasts and videos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Got a buck on camera an hour after dark is it taking him that long to walk 100 yards??

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Probably.
I had a nice 9 point buck I watched get up in his bed last year in a hour he moved only about 35 yards in late September. Didn't even get to where I setup.

And I saw him.stand up from my tree my reaction was how can I get Closer but when I tried I busted him the next night I had that wind.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Denisboyko22

Re: Got a buck on camera an hour after dark is it taking him that long to walk 100 yards??

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:23 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Probably.
I had a nice 9 point buck I watched get up in his bed last year in a hour he moved only about 35 yards in late September. Didn't even get to where I setup.

And I saw him.stand up from my tree my reaction was how can I get Closer but when I tried I busted him the next night I had that wind.

Damn those animals are smart!! Also I've been looking at the wind direction and it doesn't seem like it was ideal for when he came in the wind wasn't blowing over the leeward ridge it was just blowing at it actually , maybe some weird wind current inside the ridges to where he's bedding when it blows at the ridge i guess ill find out
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:40 am

If there is good browse within that 100 yards, for sure. You have to think this time of year he has absolutely nowhere to be other than filling his belly...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:50 am

A mature buck is on his watch. He moves with a purpose and always has a reason. If he wants to go somewhere in a hurry he will figure out the safest way to get there based on his prior experience. I think a lot of the time a buck likes to wander around and browse his core area (especially early season) once they get up out of their bed before going for a stroll into other locations.

One example I'm familiar with is when guys put out bait piles. A lot of the time the bucks aren't all that far from the bait piles, but yet somehow show up at 1 in the morning. Especially the big ones. Hunters will ask, how the heck can I get him to come out in the daylight. The answer in my opinion is you can't. You can't just make them show up to you on your watch. You gotta be where they are and when they move in daylight. That's why it's so hard.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:55 am

Very well possible. I'm unclear where your camera is set up but it appears he was.in front of it for 6 minutes so if that deer was browsing like that the whole time it could take him alot of time to move any distance.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:56 am

PK_ wrote:If there is good browse within that 100 yards, for sure. You have to think this time of year he has absolutely nowhere to be other than filling his belly...

x2
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:24 am

I’ve watched two bucks in last week make it a grand total of 50 yards in last hour of daylight. One buck stepped out of a sunflower field and stood in the same 10 foot area browsing for 40 minutes. Two nights ago a buck stood up from a patch of CRP 50 yards from the edge of a soybean field. Stood there with the wind in his face blowing out of the field for a half hour before he hit the beans. It’s been in the high 90’s here so I don’t think they want to move much in the heat.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:52 am

Ok, not big bucks but bike path deer yesterday.

The kiddos were browsing grass, but momma was eating everything from grass to queen Anne's lace to new spruce boughs all in a 15-foot radius. Food is plentiful now.

20200819_190942.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:41 am

I'm really glad you asked this question, I had a similar thought. It my first time using a trail cam on public land (too worried about them being stolen). I have pictures of a buck 275 - 325 yards away from the two most likely bedding spots at 10:15 PM. I wasn't sure if it could be taking him 2+ hours to make it only ~300 yards. Sounds like it definitely could be taking that long.

Now the challenge will be getting in there close enough. The bedding area is full of scrub brush and lots of dead trees, which I don't generally hang on.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:58 am

Yeah he mightve hit some trees that were like 30 yards in front and maybe browsed around his bed since its thick there. My problem is gonna be tryning to get close enough , where I want to walk in from near the bench the branches were all cut on the lower half of the tree years ago and they dried out so when I set that camera ever step I took i was breaking branches. But on the bottom of the ridge its a steep drop off maybe like 10 feet to almost like a dried creek bed that like 6 feet wide im thinking of maybe going in right at sunset so the thermals switch and suck my scent down and climbing a tree as quick as I can right on the drop off , the trail he takes is 10 yards off the edge of the drop off so maybe he'll never smell or ill have to shoot before he gets close enough. But they way he's taking his time now in the summer seems like I might have push his bubble and get atleast 60 yards away
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:10 am

Maybe you can sneak in on a rainy evening. Good luck. Hope you get him.
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:56 am

milkweed-militia wrote:Maybe you can sneak in on a rainy evening. Good luck. Hope you get him.

He's my opening day plan if the wind is right so fingers crossed , definitely will be posted if it happens. Thank you and best of luck to you as well!
saint1480

Unread postby saint1480 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:17 am

I am no veteran either, but I think your plan sounds reasonable. Rain could be a good way to tip the odds in your favor.

Good luck!

Nick

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”