The virus and hunting pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Will hunting pressure increase on public land this year due to the China virus?

No, same as previous years
18%
Yes, people have more time on their hands and outdoor activities are safer
64%
Unsure, time will tell
18%

Total votes: 149
NorthStar
500 Club

The virus and hunting pressure

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:20 am

I created a poll for this because I am curious if Beast members are planning on more hunting pressure now that the virus is giving people more time back and people choosing outdoor activities over indoor ones for safety concerns. Or maybe this is not the case and I am over thinking things as usual, ha!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: The virus and hunting pressure

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:30 am

I think we’ll see more.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:35 am

At least in MN the boat launches have been full all summer. The only thing about bow hunting is you just don't pick up a bow and head out. I think it might be a little, but i think ducks and pheasants will see a bigger increase, as well as gun deer.
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:15 am

The increased pressure still won't like getting wet or walking long distances. I welcome these new hunters completely. We need hunting voters badly.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:36 am

It's going to be a zoo.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:15 am

Woods will be filled. Probably a whole lot more animals killed this year than in previous. Probably doe and yearlings will be hit hard. Poaching will go up also. I will caveat this with if beef and pork prices come down the pressure will ease.
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:18 am

My public land trailcams are catching dogwalkers and hikers on game trails. I can imagine increased hunter/non-hunter conflict this season.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:33 am

An observation I’ve made here in the land of 2nd homes.
These hunting cabins are generally used 1 maybe 2 weekends per yr. I went shining the other night and like 80% of the cabins were lit up. I live well off the highway and I’m seeing all kinds of folks that aren’t from around here. I feel like if they’re spending spare time here now they probably will this fall too. Upper Michigan is busy as it’s ever been. Hotels that were barely used are booked full every night.

It is what it is. The biggest challenge for me right before gun opener is all the bait piles. Patterns shift and it’s hard to figure out. I really don’t want to see an uptick in that esp in bow season..
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am

I thought this about turkey season, in pa it doesn't open until may. I was pleasantly surprised by the legit lack of pressure. This may not translate to deer season, but I seriously expected turkey season to be more like deer season and it went in reverse..... either way I'm sure I'll make due, as most years I'm rarely running into folks except maybe in the parking areas and such....
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:51 am

I think there will be an increase. I’ve seen an increase in most outdoor activities since the pandemic . Walking, biking, fishing. I’ve seen more people glassing from the roads this year also. Not sure might just increase 10%. Maybe public closer to the big metro areas might see it. I heard metro parks are setting records this year in visitors
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:03 am

No doubt activity will be higher. Here in WI fishing licenses, boat and utv/atv registrations have increased dramatically. I expect to see hunting related activities do the same. It won’t just be deer hunters we’ll be dealing with.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:22 am

It’s my opinion that this BS virus junk will not effect my hunting season. While yes, I expect an increase in the numbers right out the gate. These same type people who believe everything they hear are also the same type to rapidly fold up there tent when the going gets tough. This would have been a heck of a year for those same people to scout and learn the woods. Yet every time I went I was the only one out there. No worries from me..... bring it!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:57 am

Without a doubt more hunters, turkey season this past May was ridiculous, worst I’ve seen, couldn’t get away from people even on weekdays.
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:14 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:I thought this about turkey season, in pa it doesn't open until may. I was pleasantly surprised by the legit lack of pressure. This may not translate to deer season, but I seriously expected turkey season to be more like deer season and it went in reverse..... either way I'm sure I'll make due, as most years I'm rarely running into folks except maybe in the parking areas and such....

Im surprised as I saw a ton of hunters during turkey. By far the most I have ever seen. The last two weeks did die off but before then it was crowded.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:45 am

CHALK_1 wrote:Without a doubt more hunters, turkey season this past May was ridiculous, worst I’ve seen, couldn’t get away from people even on weekdays.

Did u do any serious scouting this spring for whitetails? If so, did u experience the same high numbers Flood to the timber for scouting as u did for turkey hunting? If not why so...
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”