How does your hill country hunting change in the rain?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

How does your hill country hunting change in the rain?

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:41 am

I'm curious to hear how your setups change in regards to thermals. If you were looking at a day when the temperature was going to rise quite a bit but be raining off and on most of the day too. Or, basically any changes you might make when it's raining.

may21581
500 Club

Re: How does your hill country hunting change in the rain?

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 am

The same rules apply to hill country with rain. Depending on a cold rain or a front moving in with it could just magnify the already present conditions. Also something to note is deer also smell better in the rain, the rain can help wash away your scent, and when the ground is wet and hitting the leaves your noise levels are reduced. Case in point when it rains on a hot day towards the evening with the temps starting to cool off you generally will see a fog or the steam rising and moving. Thermals act and move the same only you can't see them. Just a few thoughts on it.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Re: How does your hill country hunting change in the rain?

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:52 am

Thanks for the reply.

Since I started using Dan's methods, I honestly think I"ve only had the chance to hunt on rainy days when the temperature never really rises throughout the day. I usually see the thermals dropping to staying steady and just moving with the wind direction as it picks up. On clear mornings when the sun comes up, I've seen milkweed go straight up in the air like a rocket. I'm wondering if it would do the same on the rainy days with a significant temperature rise.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”