TN Velvet Hunt 8/28/2020- 8/30/2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

TN Velvet Hunt 8/28/2020- 8/30/2020

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:07 am

The velvet hunt is a 3 day buck only hunt. Is this the earliest any state is allowing a deer hunt?

I can’t believe the TWRA is encouraging us kill bucks with a rifle in CWD zones. The whole thing seems excessive but I absolutely don’t want the TWRA to start thinning the deer herds on their own terms. I guess I’m going to go try it out.

Feel free to comment, Who else is planning on trying it out?

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Re: TN Velvet Hunt 8/28/2020- 8/30/2020

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:33 am

I'm not close to the CWD zones so there isn't any public open for it where I'm at. I may hunt some private here though if the weather plays nice.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:39 am

Thankfully no CWD counties near me

I will be out with my daughter on private during the weekend with archery gear

Hope all you guys getting after the fuzzies have a great time!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:01 am

milkweed-militia wrote:I'm not close to the CWD zones so there isn't any public open for it where I'm at. I may hunt some private here though if the weather plays nice.

Good luck! Let’s hope for some more of these NW winds!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:01 am

backstraps wrote:Thankfully no CWD counties near me

Good luck to you and your daughter.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:38 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
backstraps wrote:Thankfully no CWD counties near me

Good luck to you and your daughter.

Thanks brother, rite back atcha!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:57 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:The velvet hunt is a 3 day buck only hunt. Is this the earliest any state is allowing a deer hunt?

I can’t believe the TWRA is encouraging us kill bucks with a rifle in CWD zones. The whole thing seems excessive but I absolutely don’t want the TWRA to start thinning the deer herds on their own terms. I guess I’m going to go try it out.

I can't even describe how angry I am at Twra.
They saw that killing everything has not worked in other states but want to kill our entire herd. Cwd gets in the soil and killing all human food sources ,deer will not stop cwd.

All it will do is lower property values noones going to buy land to hunt if everything that once was on it is dead. Twra should be sending all property owners checks for the amount of money we will lose selling our hunting properties. Perhaps this is Twra,Governments plan to crash property values.

Their poor regulations got us in this mess. Back in the 90s and early 2000s we would see 40 plus deer a night driving around now we see 10 in fields if were lucky.

Using muzzleloader and rifle in August will put deer on alert and make the bow harvest numbers lower in the cwd zone.

I will be hunting the velvet hunt.
But I will not be hunting the majority of my season in unit cwd. I keep scouting further east.
Been in Yanahli Wma lately.

Several of our West Tn deer populations are already very low. We have the lowest dpsm we have had in 30 years right now.

Sorry for the rant.
I hit the ceiling when I read the Twra earn a buck program. Every one of them need to be fired.

Good luck everyone who will be hunting the velvet hunt.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:18 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:The velvet hunt is a 3 day buck only hunt. Is this the earliest any state is allowing a deer hunt?

I can't even describe how angry I am at Twra.
They saw that killing everything has not worked in other states but want to kill our entire herd. Cwd gets in the soil and killing all human food sources ,deer will not stop cwd.

All it will do is lower property values noones going to buy land to hunt if everything that once was on it is dead. Twra should be sending all property owners checks for the amount of money we will lose selling our hunting properties.

Their poor regulations got us in this mess. Back in the 90s and early 2000s we would see 40 plus deer a night driving around now we see 10 in fields if were lucky.

Using muzzleloader and rifle in August will put deer on alert and make the bow harvest numbers lower in the cwd zone.

I will be hunting the velvet hunt.
But I will not be hunting the majority of my season in unit cwd. I keep scouting further east.
Been in Yanahli Wma lately.

Several of our West Tn deer populations are already very low.

Sorry for the rant.

Good luck everyone who will be hunting the velvet hunt.

I don’t see the deer numbers like I used to. CWD should be a nonissue IMO
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:58 am

No CWD counties near me either. I scheduled a camping trip for that weekend so won't be hunting it this year, even though I do have access to a couple of private pieces. I'll probably do the velvet hunt one of these years, but I haven't been particularly interested in it so far.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:05 am

Drenalin wrote:No CWD counties near me either. I scheduled a camping trip for that weekend so won't be hunting it this year, even though I do have access to a couple of private pieces. I'll probably do the velvet hunt one of these years, but I haven't been particularly interested in it so far.

Last year I hunted it and wasn’t seeing much for deer. I also didn’t see much posted on the deer hunting FB group. Honestly, I have never killed any deer before mid October. The deer just don’t seem to move much on public till acorn drop the second half of October. You probably aren’t missing much anyway.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:49 am

SC opens August 15. I shot a 7 pt on August 16 a couple years back - only hunted there 1 season. Too far to drive.

Go and have fun - hope you get a nice one. A velvet buck is very neat.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:49 am

Wait. So I can go hunt with a rifle on public in CWD zone? Or it’s only for residents?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:58 am

PK_ wrote:Wait. So I can go hunt with a rifle on public in CWD zone? Or it’s only for residents?

Yeah 3 day cwd zone hunt
Archery, muzzleloader or rifle.

Think non residents are allowed.

They are trying to kill all deer.
If your hunting the wmas though in cwd zone expect less then 10 deer per square mile.

In cwd zone I believe their is 4 different wmas.
I used to hunt 3 of them often.

Wolf-ghost river. Bring a boat and love snakes.
Used to have a few giants in it. Biggest I've seen in this wma is 150s class. Careful it has Alligators they swim up the Mississippi river and turn into the wolf river. Rumors are Panthers have been on some people's scouting cameras in this wma too.

Chickasaw has no deer in it much anymore it's mostly hills and gets pounded. Finding a 2 year old is hard.

Greys creek wma north of boliver all swamp creeks and grass fields. . Used to have good bucks in it havent hunted it in several years. Its heavily rabbit hunted. Due to the Hatchie river always feel like a big one could show up.

Tull Bottom 2 access points to put a boat in cypress swamps and river. Would need a boat. River is full of downed trees and rocks.
If you live to get back out let me know what you find. Probably has a few good bucks somewhere.

Almost killed a giant once in Ghost River unit of Wolf River Wma.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:14 am

Sounds like home :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
PK_ wrote:Wait. So I can go hunt with a rifle on public in CWD zone? Or it’s only for residents?

Yeah 3 day cwd zone hunt
Archery, muzzleloader or rifle.

Think non residents are allowed.

They are trying to kill all deer.
If your hunting the wmas though in cwd zone expect less then 10 deer per square mile.

In cwd zone I believe their is 4 different wmas.
I used to hunt 3 of them often.

Wolf-ghost river. Bring a boat and love snakes.
Used to have a few giants in it. Biggest I've seen in this wma is 150s class. Careful it has Alligators they swim up the Mississippi river and turn into the wolf river. Rumors are Panthers have been on some people's scouting cameras in this wma too.

Chickasaw has no deer in it much anymore it's mostly hills and gets pounded. Finding a 2 year old is hard.

Greys creek wma north of boliver all swamp creeks and grass fields. . Used to have good bucks in it havent hunted it in several years. Its heavily rabbit hunted. Due to the Hatchie river always feel like a big one could show up.

Tull Bottom 2 access points to put a boat in cypress swamps and river. Would need a boat. River is full of downed trees and rocks.
If you live to get back out let me know what you find. Probably has a few good bucks somewhere.

Almost killed a giant once in Ghost River unit of Wolf River Wma.

This is a pretty good short summary. Come on and come hunt with us PK!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”