Still not hunting mornings?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Still not hunting mornings?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:41 am

Good podcasts, lots of info. Biggest take aways, wet lands are top, you have to pay attention to every detail, approach is everything, most bucks do not return to same bed night after night good bedding areas just have good features for bucks and that's why they use them, edges rule, deer pattern us more than we think, hunt mobile but not blind, and HUNT MORNINGS to increase mature buck sightings.

http://www.huntingtheland.com/podcast-108/

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Still not hunting mornings?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:07 am

I plan on hunting some mornings in areas that are not my primaries. Mornings help me learn new properties. Often I sit near usually a hundred yards downwind near a j hook of what I mark as Antelope bedding which im not sure if it is buck or doe when I find it. Just happens to be a easy onyx maps symbol to hit for unknown.

One of my best primary buck bedding areas I thought at first was antelope . Checked a camera nearby and my jaw hit the floor. I actually passed on hunting it last year because it had a few beds no rubs and no scrapes.

I sometimes sit random places on new properties before season in new areas. Without a weapon for intel.
I only run 9 cameras so they can only cover so much.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Wall hanger

Unread postby Wall hanger » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:44 am

Great podcast!! Really enjoyed listening. A lot to take away from this one.
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:30 am

A lot of good info. I have always preferred hunting mornings. Most of the bucks I have killed have been in the mornings and I also seem to have more overall deer movement in the morning. That study backs up my experiences as a hunter.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:42 am

Nope! Sadly, seems when it comes to deer studies a guy can find one to support any claims he has. I’m sure pretty easily a young motivated hunter can research enough to find another “expert” to back the complete opposite. I trust my eyes, ears are suspect. However, if u are getting pics of a big buck moving in the morning hours early season u would be foolish not to hunt him. Hope some share those morning pics to educate the rest of us.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:05 am

Life and hunting season are too short to miss it. Yes often bucks are back to bed early, but that morning he's running late or he decides to take a midmorning stroll, I'm there for it. That's why you have plans A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, X, Y, Z. If you are targeting one specific buck on one property, may not be the best strategic move, but I can't relate to that level of focus I'm just trying to squeeze in all the hunts I can before I go to the big woods in the sky for act II.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:14 am

elk yinzer wrote:Life and hunting season are too short to miss it. Yes often bucks are back to bed early, but that morning he's running late or he decides to take a midmorning stroll, I'm there for it. That's why you have plans A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, X, Y, Z. If you are targeting one specific buck on one property, may not be the best strategic move, but I can't relate to that level of focus I'm just trying to squeeze in all the hunts I can before I go to the big woods in the sky for act II.

I won’t say I always agree with you, but will say I always respect your answer cause it seems to come from the heart. I also know u have killed some great bucks for your area. How many of those have came mornings b4 the rut? To me it’s not about chasing down one particular buck on one property, it’s simply common sense. Now I would never advise someone just starting out or a guy who cares nothing about antlers to avoid mornings early season. But for a guy going after a sure enough old buck it’s always a matter of risk vs reward. No matter how many “plan” letters u wanna lay down they do nothing but hurt your chances in the grand plan. From anything I have ever seen more hunters take to the woods opening morning than any other day of the season. On what a lot of hunters call bucks that don’t realize they are being hunted yet. However, when mathematically configured this is a drastically low odds chance of success. Why?
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:04 am

elk yinzer wrote:Life and hunting season are too short to miss it. Yes often bucks are back to bed early, but that morning he's running late or he decides to take a midmorning stroll, I'm there for it. That's why you have plans A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, X, Y, Z. If you are targeting one specific buck on one property, may not be the best strategic move, but I can't relate to that level of focus I'm just trying to squeeze in all the hunts I can before I go to the big woods in the sky for act II.

Exactly.
CHMJ0914

Unread postby CHMJ0914 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:21 pm

This podcast definitely hammers home Dan's evening tactics. Getting as close as possible to the beds without being seen, smelled, or heard. It also hammers home the importance of in season scouting and setting up on hot sign. Now mornings for me historically are more productive. I've seen some good bucks in gray light. But I would have to say if you want to kill a mature buck in the morning you have to be near bedding or in bedding and catch him on that "day". However evenings seem to be easier to set up on exits, just hope he makes it to you before dark.
Use your reason, but trust in god.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:37 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I won’t say I always agree with you, but will say I always respect your answer cause it seems to come from the heart. I also know u have killed some great bucks for your area. How many of those have came mornings b4 the rut? To me it’s not about chasing down one particular buck on one property, it’s simply common sense. Now I would never advise someone just starting out or a guy who cares nothing about antlers to avoid mornings early season. But for a guy going after a sure enough old buck it’s always a matter of risk vs reward. No matter how many “plan” letters u wanna lay down they do nothing but hurt your chances in the grand plan. From anything I have ever seen more hunters take to the woods opening morning than any other day of the season. On what a lot of hunters call bucks that don’t realize they are being hunted yet. However, when mathematically configured this is a drastically low odds chance of success. Why?

I agree it's not a high odds play at all. I've killed a few in October, but only one I would really consider a goodun and he was hassling a doe at 10 AM on October 22. So no it's not nearly as productive as the rut for me but I'm still hunting it. I hunt a little differently though and I'm not really a buck bed disciple. I spend a lot of my October mornings hunting does which more or less is rut preparation. I also use them to throw a flier at areas I am trying to figure out.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:49 am

I hunt plenty of mornings when the time is right, opening week is a good time to catch them on their feet in the AM. Then pretty much any time I can get out between Oct 20 to Nov 20. Not much late season unless I am tracking. I think the local climate makes a big difference too, AM's in Texas are going to be different than AM hunts in Canada because of the weather/heat and winter coats of the deer up north.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:08 am

I only hunt mornings because I have availability at this time of the day. I would choose evenings over mornings every time if I had a clear schedule and my wife wouldn't divorce me.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:30 am

So it seems to me that the answer to mornings or evenings is “it depends” and to get your hinder in the stand to find out which works best for that area and that deer.

About right?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:38 am

I have morning stands and I have evening stands and some that can work for both. Both are hunted using different tactics. Every single location/deer/weather etc has an opportune time and way to hunt that is unique to itself. I enjoy hunting so Ill for sure hunt some mornings when its the right time to do so and when I know Im not going to spook deer that would be better to be hunted at night. I dont think its wrong to hunt one time or the other but saying one cant work is wrong. All it comes down to is if the you get a slob lying on the ground with the rack in your hands and the meat in the freezer.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Early season mornings are a waste of energy unless I am looking to shoot a doe. From personal observation and what my trail cams have shown me, things start to change (around me) about October 26th.

I killed my best buck this year at 1:18 on November 10th after going in at graylight. Maybe I start going out at 9 and forget the traditional morning hunts altogether as they have never done much for me.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”