Deer processing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bperdue21

Re: Deer processing

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:42 pm

The Bearded Butchers have an excellent video on youtube. I bought a cuber and later the jerky blades for it. Those two things are the best pieces I have purchased. I have a grinder that i rarely use and a sausage stuffer that is still in the box. I am very particular and get ever piece of fat, sinew, and silver skin off of it. I hang a minimum of three days but prefer a week. Only way I would take it to the processor is if I couldn't physically do it any more. It takes me about 3 hours to cut the cuts up and package and freeze, but I am very particular with what I put in the freezer and it is 100% ready to cook when I thaw it.

Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:19 pm

20200426_214614.jpg

Processing my own deer is one of my favorite things about deer hunting, second only to eating deer. When I was young and couldn't afford to have a processor cut my deer up, I had to do it myself. I didn't know what was what and the internet wasn't what it is now,, so everything was stew meat except backstraps and loins.
20200815_061624.jpg

I've learned a lot over the years, now my favorite thing to do with venison is make my own sausage or jerky. I've ground backstraps for sausage before :? :shock: :lol: That said, I love the top sirloin. My favorite thing to do with it is leave it whole, freeze it, and save it for an early spring fishing trip- floating down a local trout stream throwing streamers for big browns.
20200815_061646.jpg

Bring a camp stove and a 14" cast iron pan, sear it whole and cook to medium rare. Slice. Now take those slices and throw one or two or three on a tortilla with salsa, fresh homemade guacamole, some pepper jack cheese, and a pinch of cilantro. If you want, splat a plastic spoonful of sour cream on top. Repeat.
20200815_061552.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:33 am

greenhorndave wrote:
matt1336 wrote:I made some ribs on the traeger this year. Holy cow!!! They were really good!!!
I dyi unless I shoot one early and it’s too hot to hang.

Front shoulder is usually roasts. That blade roast/steak is supposed to be real good. I’ll try to remember to save it one of these times.

How did you prepare and cook them?

Pretty much like pork ribs. YouTube it and they will turn out fine.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:36 am

matt1336 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
matt1336 wrote:I made some ribs on the traeger this year. Holy cow!!! They were really good!!!

Front shoulder is usually roasts. That blade roast/steak is supposed to be real good. I’ll try to remember to save it one of these times.

I’ve done pork ribs all the time... Thursday in fact. :D

I had heard they were too lean and needed extra fat somehow (bacon or caul fat)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:40 am

greenhorndave wrote:
matt1336 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

I’ve done pork ribs all the time... Thursday in fact. :D

I had heard they were too lean and needed extra fat somehow (bacon or caul fat)

Did pork and venison at the same time. I actually like the venison better. It wasn’t as juicy as the pork but the venison was very good.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:21 am

Bperdue21 wrote: I bought a cuber and later the jerky blades for it. Those two things are the best pieces I have purchased.

Which one did you get?

I always want to make jerky but slicing it is a PIA so I just end up using ground meat and a jerky shooter.

Thanks,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:13 am

Trout wrote:20200426_214614.jpg

Processing my own deer is one of my favorite things about deer hunting, second only to eating deer. When I was young and couldn't afford to have a processor cut my deer up, I had to do it myself. I didn't know what was what and the internet wasn't what it is now,, so everything was stew meat except backstraps and loins.
20200815_061624.jpg

I've learned a lot over the years, now my favorite thing to do with venison is make my own sausage or jerky. I've ground backstraps for sausage before :? :shock: :lol: That said, I love the top sirloin. My favorite thing to do with it is leave it whole, freeze it, and save it for an early spring fishing trip- floating down a local trout stream throwing streamers for big browns.
20200815_061646.jpg
Bring a camp stove and a 14" cast iron pan, sear it whole and cook to medium rare. Slice. Now take those slices and throw one or two or three on a tortilla with salsa, fresh homemade guacamole, some pepper jack cheese, and a pinch of cilantro. If you want, splat a plastic spoonful of sour cream on top. Repeat.
20200815_061552.jpg

Trout...My mouth is watering just looking at your pictures! No better eating, than Venison!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:23 pm

Trout wrote:20200426_214614.jpg

20200815_061624.jpg

20200815_061646.jpg
20200815_061552.jpg

That stream side meal looks PHENOMENAL :clap: :clap:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:23 pm

I love processing my own deer. Just wish I had someone nearby that could help me figure out brats and burger.

Just had some heart and straps tonight for dinner.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:07 pm

Quest1001 wrote:What are you guys doing with the front shoulder, burger?

Mostly trim meat but last time I trimmed the blade roast out which was more like a steak from the does I shot. Another thing that I’ve come to love is venison fajitas. You can use chops or even roasts cut into strips and make my own seasoning sautéed with peppers, de-lish!!
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:25 am

It is just the cheap hand turned one, Weston maybe. It isn't perfect, but I found if it starts to jam turn the handle backwards and then back through again and it works fine. I think I got less than $100 in the cuber and the extra blades.

EDIT: Prices have gone way up on then since I purchased mine. Looks like the cuber is over $100. I did buy the extra blades off of ebay at a discount and you may be able to find a similar item on ebay.
Walmart has the entire setup for $140 with the jerky blades too. Mine doesn't have the realtree logo on it.

Cuber and Jerky Slicer

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Bperdue21 wrote: I bought a cuber and later the jerky blades for it. Those two things are the best pieces I have purchased.

Which one did you get?

I always want to make jerky but slicing it is a PIA so I just end up using ground meat and a jerky shooter.

Thanks,

Bob
Last edited by Bperdue21 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:32 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Which one did you get?

Thanks,

Bob

I've got the LEM - .75 hp and cuber/slicer attachment. Works great. It's gonna be grind and cube pretty much from here on out. Will try the slicer and use em for jerky and tacos & such.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:40 am

Rich M wrote:I've got the LEM - .75 hp and cuber/slicer attachment. Works great. It's gonna be grind and cube pretty much from here on out. Will try the slicer and use em for jerky and tacos & such.

Thanks for the info.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:50 am

muddy wrote:I love processing my own deer. Just wish I had someone nearby that could help me figure out brats and burger.

Just had some heart and straps tonight for dinner.

Just get a cheapish weston grinder with a stuffer attachment from cabelas and have at it. All i use.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:50 am

I've done them myself. And have used various butchers.

I'm not a huge fan of steaks/roasts/chops. I can eat some. But it's not a regular thing. I use a lot of ground meat. And I like sausage, kielbasa etc.

I think I wouldn't despise processing so much if I had a better system. Getting everything out, packing the meat and cleaning up is just a hassle. The cutting is easy.

Also battle the weather and temps. And work and such.

I have a buddy with a full butcher shop and he's in the area I spend a lot of my time hunting. And doesn't charge me a ton. So it's been pretty easy and convinient to back the truck in and drop it off there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”