Rut vacation timing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

westwind

Re: Rut vacation timing

Unread postby westwind » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:54 am

bigbuckhunter88 wrote:Iowa guy here. I will have about 5 days of vacation plus weekends for archery. I dont have to have it submitted until mid October. I will wait until then as harvest this year could be early, therefore late October be great. Mark Drury said on a recent podcast Oct 27-31 this year with some good weather should be dynamite. I'm usually more of a fan for later November but I think I will use 2 days on the 29th and 30th of Oct. 5th, 6th and 13th of November that way if warm weather or something hits its broken up

With the full moon hitting 11/1, Oct 27-Oct 31 should have great afternoon and evening activity (provided you subscribe to the moon impacting buck activity).

On the public that I hunt in Wisconsin it seems that I see way more trucks parked at my spots starting Nov 1 that I haven't seen all fall. Something about that calendar switch gets every guy out in the woods. I think I'm going to aim for that last week of October to hit the moon and avoid the pressure. Here's hoping it's about 35 degrees with 15 mph NW winds that week..

bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:10 am

westwind wrote:
bigbuckhunter88 wrote:Iowa guy here. I will have about 5 days of vacation plus weekends for archery. I dont have to have it submitted until mid October. I will wait until then as harvest this year could be early, therefore late October be great. Mark Drury said on a recent podcast Oct 27-31 this year with some good weather should be dynamite. I'm usually more of a fan for later November but I think I will use 2 days on the 29th and 30th of Oct. 5th, 6th and 13th of November that way if warm weather or something hits its broken up

With the full moon hitting 11/1, Oct 27-Oct 31 should have great afternoon and evening activity (provided you subscribe to the moon impacting buck activity).

On the public that I hunt in Wisconsin it seems that I see way more trucks parked at my spots starting Nov 1 that I haven't seen all fall. Something about that calendar switch gets every guy out in the woods. I think I'm going to aim for that last week of October to hit the moon and avoid the pressure. Here's hoping it's about 35 degrees with 15 mph NW winds that week..

Agree completely. Should have added that these vacation timings are for solely private land this year. When hunting equal public and private my vacation changes to late October and then again 3rd week of November after everyone else is burnt out(our gun seasons aren't until December). Those first 2 weeks of November have tons of pressure compared to every other time
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:38 am

I'm mainly hunt in West Central Illinois and I always feel November 6th to the 13th is the absolute best time to be in the woods (weather cooperating). This year my rut cation will be the 7th to 12th but also keep a few days set aside to be in the woods immediately following a cold front. In northern Illinois I feel November 5th has always been a good starting time. Good thing is my buddy purchased about 20 acres right down the road from me (I'm in a Chicago suburb) and the camera I had out last fall show some good deer out there. I don't put much into the moon anymore.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:46 am

tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:I’m off work from Oct 24-Nov 15. Should be able to find a few good days in there.

Oct 31-Nov 5 has always been my sweet spot. Rarely changes from year to year unless we get some extremely warm temps. The ruts still going on but just much more condensed.

I agree with Dewey! The end of October Thru the 1st week of Nov always seems to be good movement!

Personally I like the 1st two weeks of the season! That's the best time to ambush a good buck before he realizes the season even started 8-)

Man, wish I could get in on some of that. Sadly the most crowded u will ever see a public ground in my area is the 2 weekends b4 the season opens. This is when all the hardcores go “scouting” for magic mountain. Any element of surprise is tossed out the window. Can you share any of your recent kill stories on those first 2 weeks for motivation? Personally I’ve always struggled during that time and some inspiration just might get me back out there.

Thanks in advance
Boogie
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”