Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jmitch

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Jmitch » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:02 am

Thanks guys. This is a perfect example to me of just keeping your head in the game and keeping after it. I had hunted this property 6 sits from opener to the middle of October without seeing a deer or much sign. All of a sudden the last few weeks the sign has exploded and the place has turned on and I've had 3 really good sits in a row. Friday night I had a buck easily pushing 150s within 30 yards for 5 minutes but could never get a shot i was comfortable with due to it being just dark enough and pretty thick. I had spent the rest of the weekend thinking I shouldve been more aggressive and tried to fit one in and make it happen. Thought that was probably the best chance I'd get this year. Turns out I was wrong. Moral of the story for me i guess is stay patient and keep your head in the game. Dont take bad shots and keep grinding till you run out of time or kill one. Keep after it hunt smart always learn from your mistakes and it will happen

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:11 am

Congrats guys. Some nice ones hit the ground over the weekend!
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:50 am

After a much needed recovery day yesterday we're back after it, with fresh snow!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:03 am

DhD wrote:After a much needed recovery day yesterday we're back after it, with fresh snow!!

Good luck!
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:06 am

Congrats to all the killers! :clap:

I continue to struggle this year. I am just not getting on much hot sign. Over the weekend I mostly scouted trying to find good sign. And I came up pretty much empty. I know there are a few good deer around just not finding them. I think it may be time to hit some new areas and find the deer. I managed to see a couple doe out of range Saturday and passed a 2.5 year old 8.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:34 am

Jmitch wrote:Thanks guys. This is a perfect example to me of just keeping your head in the game and keeping after it. I had hunted this property 6 sits from opener to the middle of October without seeing a deer or much sign. All of a sudden the last few weeks the sign has exploded and the place has turned on and I've had 3 really good sits in a row. Friday night I had a buck easily pushing 150s within 30 yards for 5 minutes but could never get a shot i was comfortable with due to it being just dark enough and pretty thick. I had spent the rest of the weekend thinking I shouldve been more aggressive and tried to fit one in and make it happen. Thought that was probably the best chance I'd get this year. Turns out I was wrong. Moral of the story for me i guess is stay patient and keep your head in the game. Dont take bad shots and keep grinding till you run out of time or kill one. Keep after it hunt smart always learn from your mistakes and it will happen

Good post, I needed that right now. I'm only geting out one sit a week and just seem to struggle to get in the game, which is frustrating because it feels like I'm wasting my time.

Congrats on a really cool buck! Any idea if it had some sort of injury that caused the rack to grow like that? I shot a 3 legged buck once that had a wonky rack.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:59 am

Good luck to everyone today. Its starting to get right out there.
I can't hunt again until Thursday, so I'll be cheering everyone on from the side lines.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:47 am

Well... one of those not good but it could be worse tracking job updates. I found blood but no arrow (6 inches of snow) and found a bed with blood where he blew as I was backing out last night. Found the branch I hit about 8 yards in front of me, was focused on the branches by him and just didn't see them. Anyway decent blood for about a half mile and then it was just drop here and there, found a couple of beds with blood in them on a ridge so he was maybe hurting a little but after a while he got up and fed and moved around. Finally some yotes found him and they took me through a maze in this old cutting but they couldn't bring him down and gave up, I took that as a good sign. Took a couple of hours to sort out the tracks and I I really don't know if it was him or another deer at this point but I followed some tracks that really looked like him for another 3/4 of a mile or so and he headed into another bedding area. Was going to sit home and sulk tonight but going to get back after him to see if I can't finish the job. Between the branch, blood, yotes and even the darn bear I think he probably survives this thing but it still sucks.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:33 am

Wow headgear you put a lot of effort going after him and sounds like he’s one tough deer. Hope you can get back on him and finish the deal or at least get some closure on what happens with him. And yea it does suck when this stuff happens but sounds like you got the right attitude. Good luck to you!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:00 am

hunting_dad wrote:Wow headgear you put a lot of effort going after him and sounds like he’s one tough deer. Hope you can get back on him and finish the deal or at least get some closure on what happens with him. And yea it does suck when this stuff happens but sounds like you got the right attitude. Good luck to you!

I applaud your efforts as well, headgear. Way too many guys out there calling it quits after a couple hours.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:04 am

Got set up early for the evening hunt. Cold front and snow should have them moving early today. Bumped a few from beds on the way in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
KyleWI

Unread postby KyleWI » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:34 am

Observation/ calling set up tonight
image.jpg

image.jpg
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:56 am

Good luck to everyone out tonight
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:04 am

In the tree but ive seen nothing from a stand been here for several hours.
Saw 2 deer walking in couldn't tell what they were. Not much moving around today besides squirrels.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
KyleWI

Unread postby KyleWI » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:28 am

Big mature 8 following doe and two fawns. Grunting with every step

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”