Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Quest1001

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Quest1001 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:05 am

Lockdown, that sounds like a similar hit I had last year. Mine was under the spine above the lungs. I heard almost a belly thump on impact. I had shot him from the ground at about 10 yards. I got him on cam a few days later and could see the exit wound as well. He made it through season too. I’m hopeful to get him this year.

UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:02 am

So yesterday morning after I got out of my tree at about 10 AM I decided to go for a bit of a walk to figure out a piece of property which I had never been in.

I had seen a 6 pointer in the morning and basically went to where I saw him and tried to figure it out from there. Was trying to be aggressive and get on to something.

Had entered a little draw and basically took the red path in and kicked a 130-140” buck out of his bed.He had been looking into the ravine where I was walking, and where I jumped him was a very soft bump and about 80 yds out. He did not bolt out, but rather took his time getting out. I was a bit surprised to see him bedded in this area as it was a south wind as shown. After dropping milkweed I noticed the milkweed swirling in every direction possible.

I know that there is a way to hunt this thing, but am looking for any insight possible and would certainly be appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:59 am

Shot a doe last night. She came right out of predicted bedding, great confidence booster for me. Meat for the freezer!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:03 am

Wihunter95 wrote:Shot a doe last night. She came right out of predicted bedding, great confidence booster for me. Meat for the freezer!

Congrats!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:46 am

Congrats to the killers.

Got setup at 10:30, hope to see some cruisers.

Good luck to everyone out!
PSUbowman

Unread postby PSUbowman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:56 am

Anyone out in the mid west hunting these high winds? Gusts of 40 and 50 like predicted?

Curious, Trying to plan for them tomorrow here in the north east.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:58 am

Hunting a narrow suburban river bottom. Two 100 inch cruisers and 2 does and I didn't get a shot at any of them :doh:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:28 am

Good luck to all out there and congrats to all that notched a tag.

Took a little walk through the swamp/marsh this morning. After about 3 hours in I was feeling good, but still didn't see a deer. Hit this last island and find a camera :o

Actually took a few pics this morning, beautiful morning, 38, windy, some flurries. Thought I might walk right on top of one in these conditions, but NOPE.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:49 am

Saw a doe this morning. Very windy
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:52 am

Good luck everyone and congrats to all the killers. Been all work no play for me. Been tough working all week tryin to scratch out a livin while the rest u sumbeaches are running around out there having a ball. :lol:

But tomorrow is a better day. Come morning I’m striking out on my week long pilgrimage to strange public on the other side of the state. I’m excited and ready to roll. Must say, if this doesn’t go well I blame each an everyone of you! 8-) Time will tell but I’m getting awful itchy. If I’m not onto something nice by Thursday I believe I might have to implement the Brown & Down rule.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:52 am

Lockdown wrote:3 things:

1) Congrats to the killers!
2) Good luck to those who are out.
3) I think my target buck is still alive :shock:

Got a poor quality IR pic 28 hours after the shot, in the same funnel I shot him in. :think: Pretty sure it’s him. And pretty sure I can see blood/exit hole 3/4 of the way up on the exit side.

I don’t know if it’s possible to shoot under the spine, be far enough forward to miss the aortic artery (that runs under the spine) and him have his lungs deflated enough to only clip them a little bit?? And I might have only hit one, not both.

I was pretty confident the shot was high because I rushed it so bad. Multiple factors contributed. Regardless, it could be that it was just strait up backstraps. But how do you explain the bubbles in the blood then?

After 3 days of searching, some of which with a tracking dog, all I know is I feel good about my efforts to recover him. And now I feel even better that there is a very real possibility he lives. I had my friend Dylan and Dad help again yesterday. I also talked to the neighbor who also has him on cam. They were super nice. So between the two of us we should know for sure if he makes it. (Of course the neighbor was crushed that his drop tine buck was likely dead). He had been bowhunting him all year.

All I can say is if the guns don’t get him, I WILL. The neighbors hunt hard and my landowners family has 3-4 guys on 120ish acres. But the way I see it, he’s evaded hunters all these years... chances are good he’ll do it again.

There’s a 100 acres of standing corn between the two properties. The neighbor said that a few years back a friend that had a small plane flew over their property and counted 18 deer in the corn. :shock:

Hopefully the buck holes up there, because I watched him walk in easy range of a box stand. Twice.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I shot a buck last year with similar results. He was 25 yards and I thought he was 30, thus hitting high. I saw the arrow fly real high and was almost sure I hit above spine. We tracked him all next day and didn’t find him. Had sparse dark blood for 200 yds. But what really confused us was bubbles in the blood, I know I didn’t hit lungs. I remember Muddy posting on my thread that the blood falling from the deer can create bubbles. Don’t know for sure if he lived because we didn’t have cameras out, but there is a big 10 pt running around there this year that looks similar. Just some reassurance for you, I’m sure he’s probably alive. Good luck.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:57 am

Nada this morning. Kinda frightening with the wind gusts. :violin:
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:17 am

Windy sit for me this morning. Didn't see anything other than the turkeys that kept helping at me.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:00 am

Just got in tree near where I killed my buck several years ago. No rubs or scrapes. The trail isn't even visible anymore. Hope the bedding hasn't dried up. I know its been a great spot in the past so its worth a sit.

Very very windy today several trees already fell over. Trying to stay positive i walked nearly mile to get here.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 am

Forkhorn wrote:
Lockdown wrote:3 things:

1) Congrats to the killers!
2) Good luck to those who are out.
3) I think my target buck is still alive :shock:

Got a poor quality IR pic 28 hours after the shot, in the same funnel I shot him in. :think: Pretty sure it’s him. And pretty sure I can see blood/exit hole 3/4 of the way up on the exit side.

I don’t know if it’s possible to shoot under the spine, be far enough forward to miss the aortic artery (that runs under the spine) and him have his lungs deflated enough to only clip them a little bit?? And I might have only hit one, not both.

I was pretty confident the shot was high because I rushed it so bad. Multiple factors contributed. Regardless, it could be that it was just strait up backstraps. But how do you explain the bubbles in the blood then?

After 3 days of searching, some of which with a tracking dog, all I know is I feel good about my efforts to recover him. And now I feel even better that there is a very real possibility he lives. I had my friend Dylan and Dad help again yesterday. I also talked to the neighbor who also has him on cam. They were super nice. So between the two of us we should know for sure if he makes it. (Of course the neighbor was crushed that his drop tine buck was likely dead). He had been bowhunting him all year.

All I can say is if the guns don’t get him, I WILL. The neighbors hunt hard and my landowners family has 3-4 guys on 120ish acres. But the way I see it, he’s evaded hunters all these years... chances are good he’ll do it again.

There’s a 100 acres of standing corn between the two properties. The neighbor said that a few years back a friend that had a small plane flew over their property and counted 18 deer in the corn. :shock:

Hopefully the buck holes up there, because I watched him walk in easy range of a box stand. Twice.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I shot a buck last year with similar results. He was 25 yards and I thought he was 30, thus hitting high. I saw the arrow fly real high and was almost sure I hit above spine. We tracked him all next day and didn’t find him. Had sparse dark blood for 200 yds. But what really confused us was bubbles in the blood, I know I didn’t hit lungs. I remember Muddy posting on my thread that the blood falling from the deer can create bubbles. Don’t know for sure if he lived because we didn’t have cameras out, but there is a big 10 pt running around there this year that looks similar. Just some reassurance for you, I’m sure he’s probably alive. Good luck.

Thanks!

Shot bow today to rebuild confidence. All systems go. I did some poking around and didn’t see any sign of him in his usual bedding area. I think all the pressure and intrusion in there pushed him back to a different bedding area. That’s what I’m hoping anyway.

Could really use a decoy for this spot but I would never make it back there quietly with one. Too thick. I have to cross some cattails that have iced over, then I’ll be in on the back side. Will be downwind of some of the best doe bedding out here, but I can’t cover the whole travel corridor. Going to ground pound it and see how it goes. Always wanted to sit this exact spot but never have...

I have stayed out of here all year. So with everything going on they might be stacked in here pretty good. Hopefully I can get in quiet enough! The wind just died down so that doesn’t help lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”