Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:58 am

UncleBuck3268 wrote:Set up on a timber point transitioning into cat tails with dogwood off the tip of the island. Only found one fresh rub and a scrape. Hoping that dogwood holds something good!

That’s purdy.

Good luck!

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:30 am

Doing my best to get an elevated position in this spot without climbing. Hunting near fresh cut corn, in a draw that gets them out of the wind. Suspected bedding 125 yards away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:58 am

DhD wrote:Doing my best to get an elevated position in this spot without climbing. Hunting near fresh cut corn, in a draw that gets them out of the wind. Suspected bedding 125 yards away.

GL DhD!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:01 am

Good luck fellas
Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:20 am

2blittle bucks chasing like crazy and grunting tonight in SE WI.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 am

Plan D has potential. Bumped a doe and fawn on the way in, cut a decent track from this morning, and had a 5 pt run through before I was set up. Pheasant hunter I talked to must have kicked him up.

Got the snow camo on and I’m hiding behind 2 bushes.

From scouting around earlier, corn is definitely the hot food source. I’m set up “by” two different standing corn fields. I’m roughly 2/3 mile from each one ;)
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:39 am

no deer seen tonight.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:46 am

Nada tonight
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:56 am

Missed a 130” 8 pt tonight at 18 yards. Clean as whistleI scouted the spot in the afternoon crazy big rub line coming out of bedding. So I set up this evening. Had an owl land in the tree next to me I was looking up at him looked down and the buck is coming right down the trail. Had a bunch of progressive opening to shoot through . Had a split second to shoot and once I had a clear shot I took it Bc next step he was gonna be behind me and have my wind in some thick non shootable cover. I could barely see through my peep and got the in on the heart and let her rip. Shot right under him. He bounded back and kinda pranced off like he didn’t know what happened and stopped 30 yards away with no shot and walked nice and slow back to the bedding area. To get on sign like that today and go back and get a crack like that and blow it. Raspberries man. Legit doughnuts. Cant get out there tomorrow. He didn’t see me or get my wind not real sure how to go about getting back on him with a gap in time line that except try him again as soon as I can.still bumming though
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
KyleWI

Unread postby KyleWI » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Seen 8 or 9. Bucks were a few minutes behind the does
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Bigburner wrote:Missed a 130” 8 pt tonight at 18 yards. Clean as whistleI scouted the spot in the afternoon crazy big rub line coming out of bedding. So I set up this evening. Had an owl land in the tree next to me I was looking up at him looked down and the buck is coming right down the trail. Had a bunch of progressive opening to shoot through . Had a split second to shoot and once I had a clear shot I took it Bc next step he was gonna be behind me and have my wind in some thick non shootable cover. I could barely see through my peep and got the in on the heart and let her rip. Shot right under him. He bounded back and kinda pranced off like he didn’t know what happened and stopped 30 yards away with no shot and walked nice and slow back to the bedding area. To get on sign like that today and go back and get a crack like that and blow it. Raspberries man. Legit doughnuts. Cant get out there tomorrow. He didn’t see me or get my wind not real sure how to go about getting back on him with a gap in time line that except try him again as soon as I can.still bumming though

Bummer! At least you didn’t make a bad hit. I’ll take a miss over that anyday.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:51 pm

Amen to clean miss over bad hit.

BB glad you found the textbook situation and capitolized on it. That's exceptional.

I shot and quartered a cow tonight, as in moo.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:01 pm

Hang in there BigBurner. I missed a similar size 8 in September. I shaved the hair off his back. It happens and it sucks. Learn what you can from it and let it go. Then get back after it.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:34 pm

Well I think I found out who made those tracks. (Hard to say for sure)

I no more than slid my phone in my pocket after the last post and a nice buck walks out of the thicket 60-70 yards away. If I would have pushed a little further I would have blew him out of there.

When I first saw him I didn’t know what to think. He turned his head and I saw the outside of his rack was just barely beyond his ears. So probably 15” inside spread give or take an inch. Then I saw he had no brows and one side was just a big fork... so he’s a nice 2 yr old 5 pt with roughly 6” g2’s. Decent mass. Real big bodied.

I decided if I have to think about it I’m not shooting.

He dropped his head and started chasing a doe around that appeared on the other side of the opening. He let a couple grunts out too 8-) things will be rocking soon, fellas!

Another doe stepped out and apparently I wasn’t as hidden as I thought I was, because I got to play statue for what seemed like forever :roll: it had to be 20 minutes. I couldn’t move a muscle and my legs were numb from being asleep :lol: (was kneeling)

She eventually found my entry trail but still didn’t bust. For the record before the hunt I was standing in front of my tailpipe with my truck running without realizing it. I laughed. No scent control wins again! She finally relaxed (kind of) and went to browsing, then a few minutes later blew and took off! :?: it was super weird. The other deer just fed off and went walked back into bedding.

I had another doe show up while I was packing up. I saw her coming and somehow she pegged me even though I was motionless :oops: the only thing I can figure out was I had more brown behind me than white, and they were getting my outline too easily.

I knew that set was a tad risky, but after all that I felt like a level one ground hunter :lol: it’s not good when they peg you from 30 yards away.

Regardless, it was a fun hunt! Also, this was my 2nd time in. A couple weeks ago I scouted back there and blew the bedding area out on purpose to get in there and learn.

On the way out I saw tracks on top of my boot prints in two different spots (they were heading for the corn). So that bedding was pretty full :shock: I’ll likely give it another sit before the guns come out. It’s just too good.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:42 am

Had a fun night last night, 4 bucks, maybe 1 or two shooters, 1 for sure was nice and tall/wide but just not in bow range. Saw the two bucks together then two very different bucks bumping a doe right at dark a long ways off so I will be heading back in that direction tonight. They were moving last night, hard to beat the cold, late oct and moon all at once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”