Camera confirm or stay away?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigbluehelim

Camera confirm or stay away?

Unread postby Bigbluehelim » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:48 am

I’m up in the air on how to go about making a plan for this buck. He would be my biggest yet.

To sum up I’m getting pictures of him at diff hours of the night in a field. The property I hunt is mostly field but the neighbors have more timber (where I believe he is bedded). I know killing him in the field is not an option because he never gets there in light. The closest on camera is maybe an hour after dark. So really my only option to get on his trail, on our property, closest to where he enters the property.

So the question is, do I put out cameras on fence crossings where he would enter the property to see if it’s before dark, and know where to set up for opening day, or do I stay out of there (no scent) and just go hunt the crossings that first week of season?

This is kentucky, so we open in less than a month. What do you think?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Camera confirm or stay away?

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:51 am

He's only going to smell you if you cross the trail he is using to access the field.

Sounds like you need to set the cams and use stuff like blow-downs and bushes as a barrier to keep him from crossing your trail. Maybe use a 4 wheeler or truck to drive to spots to set cams - anything to reduce your smell.

Be nice to know which trail he is accessing your land on.

You can't check cams until you hunt tho.

2 yrs ago I had a mature buck let me enter an area once and still used it regular, he up and left after the second disturbance. I'm waiting for a permit to hunt that area again. Gonna get him that time.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:00 am

I would try to get on camera where he is entering or exiting the field. Ideally entering so you can pinpoint what area you need to hunt and on what conditions. I wouldnt go too far in as you dont want to pressure him out.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:08 am

In an effort to avoid buggering up the treeline he is entering the field from maybe you could place a cam far away from the treeline and run it on a field scan type of mode. Kind of depends on how far away or how close you can safely get without messing it up. Or just wait till season opens and slip up that edge and look for big tracks coming out then make your move and set up.
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:27 am

Might be a one and done deal, don't set a camera near by . I did that a month ago and the buck is now completely ignoring that route and going a different way from what I know. Just stay out and and completely surprise him. Your either gonna get him that first hunt or you won't but if you hang a camera there then you might even get the chance to shoot him after you hang the camera. The risk and reward isn't there for me personally after I did the same a month ago. I wont do that again :doh:
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:32 am

I think I would set up as close as I can without busting him out. Do it on first decent temperature change. Till then I would stay out if you know where he is crossing.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:25 pm

If possible, I'd rather observe from a safe distance than put a camera out. I think a camera that close to his area and this close to your opener is a gamble.
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:26 pm

As has been mentioned on here by a couple of others I would avoid using a camera. There has been a recent influx in discussion on some YouTube channels where data is showing that once deer recognize/sense a camera in an area they will avoid it. I also had personal experience with this last year. I hung a camera in an area I was scouting and started getting a number of pictures. The area was a natural funnel so the deer had to pass there. A couple of weeks into the soak and the picture frequency dropped dramatically. Now in full disclosure I also harvested a doe in the area which I am sure added to the drop in sightings but the frequency did reduce prior to the harvest. I never did see bucks using the crossing again till the rut and generally would only have them one time. I have run cameras for 7-8 years now and admittedly I was fairly ignorant to what I was getting in terms of pictures. Luckily I saved a lot of the pictures and was able to go back and evaluate later with a different outlook. I significantly reduced my camera usage last year and the loction myself and Dad harvested a buck from, I never ran a camera. I was able to identify buck usage from natural sign and hunting on the correct wind. I also had another encounter with a buck on this same location but he caught me raising my gun.

Pay attention to the sign, IMHO it is a much better evaluation of usage and will keep from boogering the area.
Head
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:04 am

I'll go against the grain here and say you should put a camera out but be very careful at your approach. Personally I'd put it out asap and in the rain if possible. Let it "soak" for a few weeks and time getting the chip during another rain. Use a black flash camera as well if you can't put it high and angled down as well. I'm a big believer in not checking cameras that often but if you can check them correctly and at the right time then I think it will be a great tool.
Bigbluehelim

Unread postby Bigbluehelim » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:34 am

I appreciate the input. The buck is still using the field and our opener is next Saturday. I chose not to use a camera other than the field. He has actually made it to the field in daylight on nights it’s cool. I decided to hang a stand on the field where if it’s a cool night I can kill him, but it’s an easy place to get in and out if he doesn’t come out. I decided also that the first hunt can be an observation and if I need to move closer the next night I can do it. I will update next weekend.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”