New Marsh Land Hunter....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HEINEN86

New Marsh Land Hunter....

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:52 am

Hey guys, new to the site. I joined because I just bought 40 acres in a well known marsh in Pipe, Wisconsin. And since hunting in deep thick cattails is a whole new style of hunting for me and every time I typed in searches for this style of hunting...Dan's name kept popping up. Ordered both his marsh hunting DVDs. Great videos. Learned a lot. Problem is in July I macheted down a few trails where I wanted to put up tower stands from Sportsman's guide. 7 foot tall ones that can be brought in section by section....on July 3rd it was ankle deep or a little deeper....then I went 2 weeks ago after 6 inches of rain. We were waist deep right of the ditch. Couldn't get stands up...so now I'm looking at alternatives to hunt my sea of cattails...with scrubs tree so no stands are possible. I do have 10 acres across the road with a little patch of woods I have a tree stand set up with numerous deer sign. But the rest on the south side is a sea of cattails...light weight tripod stands? But I'm not to sure how stable those would be...I do know where the deer trails are....would cutting lanes 15 or so yards back and ground hunting be the way to go? Should I even do tower stands once it possible to get the back there? Will I stick out like a sore thumb rut time? Or would ground hunting be the way to hunt a treeless marsh?

Uncle Lou

Re: New Marsh Land Hunter....

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:35 pm

You can definitely give ground hunting a try. The ladders tend to get overhunted, so don't be afraid to pull a surprise attack. I love ground hunting
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Hopefully you can find another buck like this one in the Pipe area. ;)

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/r ... -inch-buck
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Dewey wrote:Hopefully you can find another buck like this one in the Pipe area. ;)

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/r ... -inch-buck

Holy mole that thing was a hammer! :shock:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:34 am

HEINEN86 wrote:Hey guys, new to the site. I joined because I just bought 40 acres in a well known marsh in Pipe, Wisconsin. And since hunting in deep thick cattails is a whole new style of hunting for me and every time I typed in searches for this style of hunting...Dan's name kept popping up. Ordered both his marsh hunting DVDs. Great videos. Learned a lot. Problem is in July I macheted down a few trails where I wanted to put up tower stands from Sportsman's guide. 7 foot tall ones that can be brought in section by section....on July 3rd it was ankle deep or a little deeper....then I went 2 weeks ago after 6 inches of rain. We were waist deep right of the ditch. Couldn't get stands up...so now I'm looking at alternatives to hunt my sea of cattails...with scrubs tree so no stands are possible. I do have 10 acres across the road with a little patch of woods I have a tree stand set up with numerous deer sign. But the rest on the south side is a sea of cattails...light weight tripod stands? But I'm not to sure how stable those would be...I do know where the deer trails are....would cutting lanes 15 or so yards back and ground hunting be the way to go? Should I even do tower stands once it possible to get the back there? Will I stick out like a sore thumb rut time? Or would ground hunting be the way to hunt a treeless marsh?

Pipe as in next to Winnebago?
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:46 am

Yep we are 5 minutes from bago". And Holy crap what a stud....there was some nice bucks on trail cameras in the listing which caught our eye and some pretty big rub on that little patch of woods. But they were dwarfs next to him. Wow.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:26 am

HEINEN86 wrote:Yep we are 5 minutes from bago". And Holy crap what a stud....there was some nice bucks on trail cameras in the listing which caught our eye and some pretty big rub on that little patch of woods. But they were dwarfs next to him. Wow.

Another pic.

Hopefully that buck spread his genes around your area. 8-)
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:29 am

Listen to marshbusters podcast. He hunts everyday from the ground in the cattails has shot some nice ones. Some of those Wisconsin bucks are very impressive. Some world class genetics
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:37 am

Wow....yeah I'm reading every article on that buck and going to try and pinpoint that guys farm in relation to me. Thanks guys. And I will definitely check out that podcast. This year is definitely going to be a learning curve
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:12 am

Marshes are not comfortable to hunt. You won’t see many from realtree or the other big names getting their balls wet to shoot a deer. But when you find the spots in your marsh that they like, you’re in the game. That’s a great area! Good luck.
My bet is that the bucks are in the woods after dark. Hint hint. Go get wet. Lol
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:28 am

Lol. Yeah besides Dan I have never seen a big name hunter go balls deep in marsh water. I know I'll be cold wet and miserable but there are some nice trails. Been glassing the numerous Ag fields surrounding the property and a lot of does with fawns and one nice 8 pointer. So much more fun doing this than trail cameras. Soon I'll start shining at night. Thanks for the reply and good luck to you too
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:46 am

HEINEN86 wrote:Wow....yeah I'm reading every article on that buck and going to try and pinpoint that guys farm in relation to me. Thanks guys. And I will definitely check out that podcast. This year is definitely going to be a learning curve

Welcome to the BEAST!! I know the marsh hunting is worlds different from my “norm”.

I envy you guys that have all the public around, that holds good deer.

I hope you soak in all you can here and post your own slob buck pics soon

Welcome again!
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Thanks man! I hope I can post some pics this season of a slob!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”