Hours in the stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: Hours in the stand

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:30 am

NOT Enough... :cry:

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:47 am

Drenalin wrote:I think I had around 170 hours of hunting in 2019. Approximately 169 hours, 56 minutes of those were unproductive (in terms of kills). The other 4 minutes gave me a buck and three does.

I refuse to look at it that way or it’s depressing :lol:

I tell u another tough one to swallow is getting about 250 hrs in and finally getting a chance and blowing it. If I’m gonna booger a hunt up I prefer to do it early on or at the very end. Doing right in the middle just stinks for me and makes it tough to keep my mind right.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:58 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Drenalin wrote:I think I had around 170 hours of hunting in 2019. Approximately 169 hours, 56 minutes of those were unproductive (in terms of kills). The other 4 minutes gave me a buck and three does.

I refuse to look at it that way or it’s depressing :lol:

I tell u another tough one to swallow is getting about 250 hrs in and finally getting a chance and blowing it. If I’m gonna booger a hunt up I prefer to do it early on or at the very end. Doing right in the middle just stinks for me and makes it tough to keep my mind right.

Missed the best buck I'd ever seen while hunting on opening day of archery last year. Took a while, but I recovered from it. Other than that shot, I enjoyed all the time I spent in the woods last year, even the frustrating days and some hunts without even seeing a deer. Now if I laid it out like that for my wife - 169 unproductive hours - she'd say I was wasting time and I should give up hunting. So we don't go down that road of how many days/hours hunted, and I get to keep enjoying my time in the woods instead of "wasting" it.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:00 am

I probably average 15-30 hunts a year post kids arriving (they are 8 and 9 now). Average sit is probably four hours, so 60 to 120 hours a year in stand. More and more of those outings have turned into scouting if need be the last couple of years. We have had alternating flooding the last several years in my area, so without being scouting in-season constantly, previous year's intel has not been terribly valuable. Learning to keep moving until there is a reason, even with limited days to be in the field. Where that gets me is feeling just a step or two behind most of the time since hunting several consecutive days just isn't terribly practical most of the time for me. I may feel like I'm getting close after a day or two, but if I can't make it out again for a few days, I'm starting back towards the beginning.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Not sure how many hours, but I typically get 45 or so days in every year.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:03 pm

I count sits but not hours each sit. Its a good season for me if I get 40-50 sits. Keep in mind the bulk of those are during early November rutcation and I'm sitting 2x per day for about 9 or 10 days. I'd also guess about 25% of those weren't sits at all over the last few seasons but me just in season scouting and not stopping to hunt cause I didn't find something I couldn't walk past. Each sit probably averages 3 or 4 hours, longer during early November, shorter in the early season. So let's split the difference, 45 times 3.5 and I end up about 157 hours. Take away 25% scouting and I'm down to 118 give or take.

4 years ago it was a 1.5 and I was tagged out, worst mistake I ever made in my life.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 pm

I have thought about my answer. never have kept up with it. I can tell you one thing it is not enough.

I would have to say around 200-250. I just like being there.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:16 pm

I’m not even going to put a number on it because it will be depressing. My schedule doesn’t work out to hunt much but it does line up good to glass during the last bit of daylight. I seem to hunt less and scout more now so this tends to work out in my favor. It forces me to pick when to make time to hunt more wisely.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Last season was my first full season for keeping a log. I was at 105 hours in a tree with my bow. I have a little more time on the ground gun hunting with a kid but I didn’t have a weapon so I didn’t count it.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:24 pm

Do to my work schedule of 14 and 14. I'm north of 300 hours on stand time each season.

See deer every sit, could even tag out my 6 deer before gun season opens, but I do try too only use my buck tags on 4 year olds are older. Some years that doesntbhappen and I use them up on young scrag rack or injured buck.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:45 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:Do to my work schedule of 14 and 14. I'm north of 300 hours on stand time each season.

See deer every sit, could even tag out my 6 deer before gun season opens, but I do try too only use my buck tags on 4 year olds are older. Some years that doesntbhappen and I use them up on young scrag rack or injured buck.

Dang it! That’s a rough schedule. I mean it’s sweet when u r off. Typically I do 3 on 4 off then 4 on 3 off. Every 5 weeks I either work 7 straight or off 7 to rotate the weekends. After years of dippen out during the rut with goofy excuses they cut me a deal. I now cover the opposite shifts 7 day rotation in exchange to throw the deuces November and December and still get a check. Works out well but stinks during the grind.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:Do to my work schedule of 14 and 14. I'm north of 300 hours on stand time each season.

Dang it! That’s a rough schedule. I mean it’s sweet when u r off. Typically I do 3 on 4 off then 4 on 3 off. Every 5 weeks I either work 7 straight or off 7 to rotate the weekends. After years of dippen out during the rut with goofy excuses they cut me a deal. I now cover the opposite shifts 7 day rotation in exchange to throw the deuces November and December and still get a check. Works out well but stinks during the grind.

It is rough even more so come mid January when the bass start to make their move up and it's still deer season and the bucks are in heavy rut.

Tough decisions lol.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:37 am

With 2 kids at home that have special needs my time is limited, that said I usually get 20-30hrs of bow hunting in MN last year though I tagged out on my second sit so I hunted a full 4 hours. Then I've been doing an out of state hunt the last couple years and that's when I can hunt dark to dark.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”