I’m afraid I’ll miss something

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

I’m afraid I’ll miss something

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:08 am

How many people have a “go to” area where you spend the majority of your time during a specific part of the season? Could be early season, could be rut.

Does it always pan out? Do you kill your buck there consistently? If the answer is no, why not broaden your horizons?

I think a lot of people are afraid they’re going to miss something. I think that’s the mentality behind sitting stands repeatedly. “What if something comes by and I’m not there!” ;) the thought is hard to stomach.

The scenario is risk vs reward, and it’s all about finding that balance. If leaving means the risk of missing a shot opportunity is too high, then stay put and enjoy your time on stand.

That said, I think too many people hold on to those medium and low risk spots just because they’ve had success there in the past. If you’ve got new properties and bedding to scout or hunt, the reward can be quite high.

I was afraid of what I’d miss during summer observations at some of my main spots this year. What have I missed? I’m not exactly sure. But I do have a brand new property with a mature buck on it ;)

It can be hard to branch out or make changes to tactics that have worked in the past. But I feel more often than not, the reward is worth the risk.

HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Re: I’m afraid I’ll miss something

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:22 am

Ive said this before, but I still consider myself pretty raw as a hunter. Ive learned more in the past year than I have the previous 10 hunting. One of my issues not too long ago was hunting the same stand for two reasons.

1. The stand was really comfortable.
2. I happened to see the most bucks out of it.

Reason 2 was partially because its still a good spot but also because I was hunting it the most and that included the rut. Since then Ive learned that most stands will not produce the same results year round. Certain stands are better early season or rut or late, etc. Since taking in more information from here and other sources, Im definitely going to try to branch out more from the usual spots. I have cameras near most stands so if I see a buck near one and I made the wrong call that will obviously suck but its a learning process and Im excited to try to use my knowledge from here to be able to be more efficient in my stand selection rather than sitting 30 times in the same stand in one year.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:58 am

HuntingParadise wrote:Ive said this before, but I still consider myself pretty raw as a hunter. Ive learned more in the past year than I have the previous 10 hunting. One of my issues not too long ago was hunting the same stand for two reasons.

Reason 2 was partially because its still a good spot but also because I was hunting it the most and that included the rut. Since then Ive learned that most stands will not produce the same results year round. Certain stands are better early season or rut or late, etc. Since taking in more information from here and other sources, Im definitely going to try to branch out more from the usual spots. I have cameras near most stands so if I see a buck near one and I made the wrong call that will obviously suck but its a learning process and Im excited to try to use my knowledge from here to be able to be more efficient in my stand selection rather than sitting 30 times in the same stand in one year.

It’s all about finding that balance. The harder we look for something, the more we’re apt to find it. Using your example of 30 hunts at one spot, logically you have a good chance of seeing a good buck from that stand because you’re there a lot and during the best time frame.

So what would happen if you sat 6 different stands 5 times each and they were all given an equal chance during peak rut? Would your go to spot still be the best? Maybe, maybe not.

Btw I’m not singling you out in any way, just using your example for discussion ;)

The thing that prompted this discussion was a conversation with a good friend the other day. He said he’s hesitant to spend a decent amount of time on some nearby public because he wasn’t confident in his tactics there. And he didn’t want to miss anything at his private food plot spots.

Between him and his brother, I don’t think they’ve ever killed in October. They’re all rut, very early season, or very late season kills.

To me, never killing one in October means free reign. That is next to zero risk with unlimited possibilities for reward. Not to mention learning and growing as a hunter. Getting out of his comfort zone would teach him a lot. :whistle:

Sounds like he’ll throw a random hunt at it a couple times a season. To me he’s afraid of what he’ll miss at his other properties, and missing the boat on a new one...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:03 am

I have some rut stands and prime time spots that I hit on a semi-regular basis but you have to let the sign/sightings tell you to keep hunting it or move on. Even in the best of the best spots go cold sometimes, you have to stay on the deer to up your odds. In the past I have even under hunted hot areas when I should have gone back and pounded them harder, have to find that sweet spot. Then of course sometimes you have deer all around you and come back and they moved somewhere else. :lol:
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:11 am

I know a guy who sit on a stand 21 straight days and NEVER saw a deer until the 21st day. Granted it was a monster, but no way I could have done that. It wasn't that this was the only place he could sit. There were 16,000 other public acres and I am thinking the lease he is on is around 5000 acres. It paid off for him, but the other 20 days had to have been pure torture.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:19 am

Lockdown wrote:
HuntingParadise wrote:Ive said this before, but I still consider myself pretty raw as a hunter. Ive learned more in the past year than I have the previous 10 hunting. One of my issues not too long ago was hunting the same stand for two reasons.

It’s all about finding that balance. The harder we look for something, the more we’re apt to find it. Using your example of 30 hunts at one spot, logically you have a good chance of seeing a good buck from that stand because you’re there a lot and during the best time frame.

So what would happen if you sat 6 different stands 5 times each and they were all given an equal chance during peak rut? Would your go to spot still be the best? Maybe, maybe not.

Btw I’m not singling you out in any way, just using your example for discussion ;)

The thing that prompted this discussion was a conversation with a good friend the other day. He said he’s hesitant to spend a decent amount of time on some nearby public because he wasn’t confident in his tactics there. And he didn’t want to miss anything at his private food plot spots.

Between him and his brother, I don’t think they’ve ever killed in October. They’re all rut, very early season, or very late season kills.

To me, never killing one in October means free reign. That is next to zero risk with unlimited possibilities for reward. Not to mention learning and growing as a hunter. Getting out of his comfort zone would teach him a lot. :whistle:

Sounds like he’ll throw a random hunt at it a couple times a season. To me he’s afraid of what he’ll miss at his other properties, and missing the boat on a new one...

I used to have that mindset. I knew a buck would eventually walk by that stand so I didnt want to miss it. I was comfortable in the stand and in the area since I knew what to expect and where deer would go. I think the key for me is to branch out so I become confident. Like you said with your friend, in the past I havent hunted locations because I didnt fully understand what to expect or know the area as well. Now I feel like I need to branch out and use what Ive learned to connect the dots. I can test out new spots and deduce where the buck will come from or if its even a buck spot. Then after the hunt I can see if what I predicted was correct or where I was wrong and how I can move or hunt it next to improve. I want to become a better hunter and I think adding experience in different areas will help.

As an example, I got permission to hunt a piece of land two years ago. Went in and scouted and saw a huge area with a ton of rubs. Put a stand on that location and hunted it this year with no luck and no deer essentially. I was disappointed but I noticed there was no more rubs this year. Looking back, I wasnt hunting the hot sign. I knew because of shining and cameras an 11 pt was in the area and now with the help of others, Ive kind of figured out where I think its more likely to catch a buck and am more willing to move to where that sign is. In the past, I wouldve just stayed in that one spot, but from what Ive seen, to consistently slay big bucks throughout early season, rut and late, you need to be able to adapt and trust what you read. I expect Ill have another year where I miss more than I hit, but its all about the process.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:26 am

I have a plethora of “go to” spots. I believe there are 2 types of hunters who hunt a stand repeatedly. Those who hope something nice walks by and those that know something nice will walk by. Big difference imo. The hunters who knows probably has done there homework and knows the reason why.

I guess I have a trappers mentality when it comes to hunting. I have the majority of my fun finding the spot I believe a buck will put his foot. I don’t see many trappers pull there sets after one day. I give a stand time to work for me.

All that said, I always run a lot of cams. Appears to me every spot has a time it’s most productive. In my experience it’s usually 3-5 days when u have the right conditions. I simply hunt that window that historically produces. Then off to the next stand and window. Will also say I’ve set a stand 5 days in a row with very lil action so I moved but on day 6 an 7 the camera exploded with buck movement so u never know. But I play the odds and stick to a system that works for me.

I am always looking for new spots. But I hunt them a season or 2 behind my cameras. Not all my new found honey holes produce. In fact I would say about 1 out of 10 show promise. I also don’t hunt down one particular buck.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:23 am

Agree with this. I spent my first two seasons hunting doing just that. Knew a big buck was in the area and hunted that spot all year. I'm talking minimum 15 sits in one stand. Burned that spot up pretty quickly. I didn't think there were a lot of good spots in my area so I honed in on one I knew held a big deer.

I also had no idea what I was doing so I got discouraged very quickly. Didn't have a clue what to set up on when I walked into the woods. Everything I knew was through trail cam pics.

Now I can walk into the woods and have an idea whats going on. Whether its right or not thats the fun in it. I credit the beast for opening my mind to hunting. Its made me a much more passionate hunter and there's always another deer or another spot to search.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:52 am

mbone1327 wrote:Agree with this. I spent my first two seasons hunting doing just that. Knew a big buck was in the area and hunted that spot all year. I'm talking minimum 15 sits in one stand. Burned that spot up pretty quickly. I didn't think there were a lot of good spots in my area so I honed in on one I knew held a big deer.

I also had no idea what I was doing so I got discouraged very quickly. Didn't have a clue what to set up on when I walked into the woods. Everything I knew was through trail cam pics.

Now I can walk into the woods and have an idea whats going on. Whether its right or not thats the fun in it. I credit the beast for opening my mind to hunting. Its made me a much more passionate hunter and there's always another deer or another spot to search.

Now that’s a cool learning adventure! What do you now walk into the woods with skill wise that puts a big buck within bow range? What made you feel the spot u set 15 days in rookie years was the best possible tree on the place? Did you put any thought into entrance/exit? What do you feel a trail camera lied to you about? What percentage do you feel you increased your kill percentage from those early day miss haps of sitting repeatedly?

Just curious, finding one’s confidence is a very important journey imo. I’m a country idiot so don’t put much stock in me but what I see I say.
-John Wayne-
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:53 am

I do have a few go to spots but I don't hunt them till I know they are prime. I try to hunt general areas more than one particular spot. If I know a buck is in the area I'll work a rotation of multiple stand sites so he can't pattern me.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:04 am

oldrank wrote:I do have a few go to spots but I don't hunt them till I know they are prime. I try to hunt general areas more than one particular spot. If I know a buck is in the area I'll work a rotation of multiple stand sites so he can't pattern me.

Same here. I have a few spots that are always good during a 2-3 day period so I won’t miss those if the wind is right. I’ll never pound one stand position though even in my best spots. I bounce around to keep the deer guessing. I say if history tells you to be in a particular spot during a particular time period you would be dumb to not hunt there for the best odds. No doubt I would feel like I’m missing something if I don’t hunt there. It’s all about playing your cards right and getting the best odds in your favor.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 am

Dewey wrote:
oldrank wrote:I do have a few go to spots but I don't hunt them till I know they are prime. I try to hunt general areas more than one particular spot. If I know a buck is in the area I'll work a rotation of multiple stand sites so he can't pattern me.

Same here. I have a few spots that are always good during a 2-3 day period so I won’t miss those if the wind is right. I’ll never pound one stand position though even in my best spots. I bounce around to keep the deer guessing. I say if history tells you to be in a particular spot during a particular time period you would be dumb to not hunt there for the best odds. No doubt I would feel like I’m missing something if I don’t hunt there. It’s all about playing your cards right and getting the best odds in your favor.

You are very right even though u might not realize it Mr Dewey. I think different areas teach us different things. But won’t deny Farm country makes a lot of learning.... well easier. Atleast to the eye.I Imagine it’s so much easier to find a hot food source driving back roads in ag country than it is in a big woods setting.

That said, I miss the boat a lot on properly timed great spots. Many thrown monkey wrenches that alter reliable buck movement. From change in food source, new guy hunting a spot, filtration of coyotes, etc... No guarantees and it’s often proven and takes serious time/effort to figure out why. Suspect that doesn’t change no matter how a person hunts.
-John Wayne-
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:32 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I believe there are 2 types of hunters who hunt a stand repeatedly. Those who hope something nice walks by and those that know something nice will walk by.

This is a fantastic way of saying it.

Everyone always talks about first time sits and staying mobile, which is great. But there are times and places, especially in the south or areas with low deer density where you need to stay put. The tough part is knowing when and where :think:

But overall, I definitely agree with you LD.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:33 pm

I have spots that I know from pre-rut on I could sit for 5-10 days straight all day sits and be pretty confident in getting a shot at a good buck. Even If I had the time for that many consecutive all day sits without being divorced, I just can't do it. I'd rather move around and feel like that day's decision makes sense. If it doesn't work out, reevaluate and move on.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:37 pm

I think you can fall into the opposite problem also, only hunting a spot 1 time. Then moving on and you were not in the game because your seasonal timing was off. I have noticed several times now I have seen good bucks but did not get or take a shot, and I am on to the next spot. Now that I look back, I knew a good buck was in an area, I should have been hitting the other side of that bedding area. It’s even harder when you are a weekend warrior and one weekend a place is hot and the next it’s not. There are so many variables on the public. For the most part staying mobile and staying on the sign is the best way to go, but some places deserve a second or third hunt, maybe not the same tree but the same area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”