I’m afraid I’ll miss something

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: I’m afraid I’ll miss something

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Kraftd wrote:I have spots that I know from pre-rut on I could sit for 5-10 days straight all day sits and be pretty confident in getting a shot at a good buck. Even If I had the time for that many consecutive all day sits without being divorced, I just can't do it. I'd rather move around and feel like that day's decision makes sense. If it doesn't work out, reevaluate and move on.

I can understand that and in different aspects of life relate. Have a fishing friend with your same mind set. Can be murdering Em and he wants to pull off and find somewhere else. Simply how he is wired vs how I’m wired. To me I worked my tail off to figure out this spot, so by god I’m going to enjoy it and reap the benefits. My only question is what is the point of hard scouting if you avoid the rewards of your effort by looking for something else? I mean if u want a real challenge and struggle go set up in some open woods. I don’t get that aspect of it.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:52 am

I’ve got a handful of solid spots.
When I have time to hunt but nothing I know of seems like a good bet, or I think I’ve applied too much pressure.. I love just picking a new area, leaving late morn or mid day and head out to scout/setup. I’ve got a log of cyber scouted areas much larger than I can keep up with via boots on the ground in the off season. So a lot of those spots I’ll just iN season scout/hunt same day. If I’m not trying new areas I’m afraid I might be missing what’s running around out there. If they are a bust I either scout till dark or bail and go to a pre determined plan B spot.

Not too far north of me there is some big woods hill country with Very very low deer density. I haven’t done it yet and I would only do it during rut maybe even pre. tempting to do 3 day dark to dark sits based off terrain features. It’s hard to blow out an area when there’s no deer around :lol: also I could sit more than 3 days in such a location but after seeing jack for 3 days I might start to get a lil “bushy” but you could pound a spot up there. The bucks are covering a lot of ground in that vast wilderness. Then it’s more of a right place at the right time.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:23 am

I've got a couple spots where I know the only reason I won't have one down is because I blew it. Some days I don't have that patience, and other days I just really enjoy being on stand and don't even need to see a deer to have a successful day. All depends on what you are looking for, but the journey is always the most memorable. Don't remember pulling the trigger, I just remember how much I put into every deer I have killed and that feeling when I put my hands on them.

I have fallen for the trap of feeling like I need to sit a spot that isn't what I need because I know I won't find something better in time. That has been my downfall. But in hindsight I should go sit some of my spots I know one will come through if I don't have any red hot leads elsewhere. Got a few spots that when the sign is right can be incredible hunts but you only get a couple days every other year or so to hit it. And if you miss it, you know it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:07 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Kraftd wrote:I have spots that I know from pre-rut on I could sit for 5-10 days straight all day sits and be pretty confident in getting a shot at a good buck. Even If I had the time for that many consecutive all day sits without being divorced, I just can't do it. I'd rather move around and feel like that day's decision makes sense. If it doesn't work out, reevaluate and move on.

I can understand that and in different aspects of life relate. Have a fishing friend with your same mind set. Can be murdering Em and he wants to pull off and find somewhere else. Simply how he is wired vs how I’m wired. To me I worked my tail off to figure out this spot, so by god I’m going to enjoy it and reap the benefits. My only question is what is the point of hard scouting if you avoid the rewards of your effort by looking for something else? I mean if u want a real challenge and struggle go set up in some open woods. I don’t get that aspect of it.

Boogie, that's a fair point. I guess to me, on a day to day basis part of it is that I usually have other scouted locations that I can create a more compelling case for that day, if that makes sense? I sit plenty of rut travel corridors every year, and honestly a lot of my success comes that way. My scouting has let me also better identify key days in these spots to up my efficiency. If I had time to hunt every day, there are a few spots I'd probably give this kind of attention, but right now I don't so I try and go more on current hot intel when I can, or scout if I don't have any.

That said, from a personality perspective once I think I have something figured out, I tend to need to move on to something else as opposed to fine tune and perfect it. That's just kind of my mind-set on many things in life. Get good enough to know that if I really dedicated myself to something I could do it really well, then find the next thing. Kind of an experience collector as opposed to a perfecter and fine-tuner. Fishing has always been that way for me too. Once I figure a spot out, or a species, or a technique, I just naturally move to focus on something different.

In a work setting I excel at generating new opportunities and seeing the big picture of projects and being able to manage a bunch of them at one time, but have learned to rely on the engineers that work for me that are better at the finer details but need help seeing the bigger picture sometimes.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:11 am

Kraftd wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Boogie, that's a fair point. I guess to me, on a day to day basis part of it is that I usually have other scouted locations that I can create a more compelling case for that day, if that makes sense? I sit plenty of rut travel corridors every year, and honestly a lot of my success comes that way. My scouting has let me also better identify key days in these spots to up my efficiency. If I had time to hunt every day, there are a few spots I'd probably give this kind of attention, but right now I don't so I try and go more on current hot intel when I can, or scout if I don't have any.

That said, from a personality perspective once I think I have something figured out, I tend to need to move on to something else as opposed to fine tune and perfect it. That's just kind of my mind-set on many things in life. Get good enough to know that if I really dedicated myself to something I could do it really well, then find the next thing. Kind of an experience collector as opposed to a perfecter and fine-tuner. Fishing has always been that way for me too. Once I figure a spot out, or a species, or a technique, I just naturally move to focus on something different.

In a work setting I excel at generating new opportunities and seeing the big picture of projects and being able to manage a bunch of them at one time, but have learned to rely on the engineers that work for me that are better at the finer details but need help seeing the bigger picture sometimes.

This is me, 100%. I am above average at a lot of things, but not great at anything. I can't seem to dedicate 100% effort to just one pursuit in life. I am definitely all about experience, broad experience, specifically.

With that said, I will revisit spots that I have known to produce in the past during the optimal time frame for that spot.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:25 am

I can’t argue with that fellas! We all have different twerks that get us all gigity goo. Just from how I’m wired up it’s complete opposite of what I try to do so it intrigues me.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:51 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I can’t argue with that fellas! We all have different twerks that get us all gigity goo. Just from how I’m wired up it’s complete opposite of what I try to do so it intrigues me.

If there was a perfect way to do it, we would all be doing it. Plenty of different ways to come to the same warm bloody and happy conclusion.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:53 am

I don’t feel that way anymore maybe because I’ve shot a good amount of bucks and I’ll be 44 years old soon. I just know if I put my time in I’ll have an opportunity somewhere
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:19 am

So since we all follow the “Greats” out there...What’re your takes on Bobby Worthington’s philosophy on PERSISTENCE?

He recently completed a 3-part podcast with Southern Ground Outdoors which was great. I’m wondering what other Beasts took away from that podcast Because I know some people listened to it. Obviously more then one way to skin a cat. He pretty much sums it up as a law of averages, and a numbers game. He’s not burning a stand up by hunting it outside what he considers great conditions, but he also will Hunt it multiple times because he knows the buck is there or lives there at some point, and will walk in front of his tree at some point. His success can’t be denied for sure!
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:25 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
mbone1327 wrote:Agree with this. I spent my first two seasons hunting doing just that. Knew a big buck was in the area and hunted that spot all year. I'm talking minimum 15 sits in one stand. Burned that spot up pretty quickly. I didn't think there were a lot of good spots in my area so I honed in on one I knew held a big deer.

I also had no idea what I was doing so I got discouraged very quickly. Didn't have a clue what to set up on when I walked into the woods. Everything I knew was through trail cam pics.

Now I can walk into the woods and have an idea whats going on. Whether its right or not thats the fun in it. I credit the beast for opening my mind to hunting. Its made me a much more passionate hunter and there's always another deer or another spot to search.

Now that’s a cool learning adventure! What do you now walk into the woods with skill wise that puts a big buck within bow range? What made you feel the spot u set 15 days in rookie years was the best possible tree on the place? Did you put any thought into entrance/exit? What do you feel a trail camera lied to you about? What percentage do you feel you increased your kill percentage from those early day miss haps of sitting repeatedly?

Just curious, finding one’s confidence is a very important journey imo. I’m a country idiot so don’t put much stock in me but what I see I say.

To be clear I’m still a huge rookie, but as far as knowledge and skill goes from year 1… let's put it this way... when I first started hunting I didn't know what a scrape or a rub was. Me and my buddy would stomp around the woods following deer trails and scat still hunting until we realized we had no shot at releasing an arrow never mind shooting something. Got a picture of a big buck on a small piece of private that I thought would be in the record books year two. I hunted that buck for two years. Same stand and same summer routine of me bringing corn to the stand every other week trying to keep him in the area. I was so obsessed with that deer I lost two years of learning. Two seasons probably more than 30 sits total.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:48 am

BA-IV wrote:So since we all follow the “Greats” out there...What’re your takes on Bobby Worthington’s philosophy on PERSISTENCE?

He recently completed a 3-part podcast with Southern Ground Outdoors which was great. I’m wondering what other Beasts took away from that podcast Because I know some people listened to it. Obviously more then one way to skin a cat. He pretty much sums it up as a law of averages, and a numbers game. He’s not burning a stand up by hunting it outside what he considers great conditions, but he also will Hunt it multiple times because he knows the buck is there or lives there at some point, and will walk in front of his tree at some point. His success can’t be denied for sure!

I haven’t listened to this podcast but have one of his books and have a pretty good handle on what he does. To honestly answer the question I don’t believe there is a man alive who knows what he is doing that will tell u persistence is a bad thing in any aspect of life. There’s many ways to be persistent in the whitetail woods. Suspect a lot of guys hunt much harder in there heads than in reality. From the outside looking in I think a lot of folks don’t understand how to up there odds. Guys have no problem spending 100s of hours cyber scouting from their chair in the ac or researching what’s trendy but don’t have a clue what’s going on in the deer woods. They got everything they need for a historic hero shot, yet year after year they can’t get a buck in the strike zone to save there life. It’s my opinion if a hunter honestly believes a complete stranger Hunter (no matter how great) can walk into there home court and beat em at there own game then they got some serious issues. Primarily effort related Imo. Many ways to skin a cat and cook a good steak. Important thing is u r getting the results u want. If not how many cats u gotta butcher or steaks u over cook b4 u realize there might be another way that works better for me.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:13 am

mbone1327 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
mbone1327 wrote:Agree with this. I spent my first two seasons hunting doing just that. Knew a big buck was in the area and hunted that spot all year. I'm talking minimum 15 sits in one stand. Burned that spot up pretty quickly. I didn't think there were a lot of good spots in my area so I honed in on one I knew held a big deer.

I also had no idea what I was doing so I got discouraged very quickly. Didn't have a clue what to set up on when I walked into the woods. Everything I knew was through trail cam pics.

Now I can walk into the woods and have an idea whats going on. Whether its right or not thats the fun in it. I credit the beast for opening my mind to hunting. Its made me a much more passionate hunter and there's always another deer or another spot to search.

Now that’s a cool learning adventure! What do you now walk into the woods with skill wise that puts a big buck within bow range? What made you feel the spot u set 15 days in rookie years was the best possible tree on the place? Did you put any thought into entrance/exit? What do you feel a trail camera lied to you about? What percentage do you feel you increased your kill percentage from those early day miss haps of sitting repeatedly?

Just curious, finding one’s confidence is a very important journey imo. I’m a country idiot so don’t put much stock in me but what I see I say.

To be clear I’m still a huge rookie, but as far as knowledge and skill goes from year 1… let's put it this way... when I first started hunting I didn't know what a scrape or a rub was. Me and my buddy would stomp around the woods following deer trails and scat still hunting until we realized we had no shot at releasing an arrow never mind shooting something. Got a picture of a big buck on a small piece of private that I thought would be in the record books year two. I hunted that buck for two years. Same stand and same summer routine of me bringing corn to the stand every other week trying to keep him in the area. I was so obsessed with that deer I lost two years of learning. Two seasons probably more than 30 sits total.

Nothing wrong with that chief! One thing I really excell at over the general hunting population is mistakes made! Seems most learn after the first time as for me I like to make em repeatedly so they really soak in :lol: My first year hunting I had 1 stand and I hunted everyday of the entire season! Think a lot of folks did similar so nothing to be ashamed about. What’s important is u realize what u were doing didn’t produce so on to something else.
-John Wayne-
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:58 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
mbone1327 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Nothing wrong with that chief! One thing I really excell at over the general hunting population is mistakes made! Seems most learn after the first time as for me I like to make em repeatedly so they really soak in :lol: My first year hunting I had 1 stand and I hunted everyday of the entire season! Think a lot of folks did similar so nothing to be ashamed about. What’s important is u realize what u were doing didn’t produce so on to something else.

Hunting every day of the season is an accomplishment within itself!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”