It looked like rut in August

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

It looked like rut in August

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:32 pm

I know this buck wasn’t rutting, so don’t let the title mislead you. ;)

I finally got eyes on a shooter for a second time tonight.
The first time I saw this buck, he and two other bucks were running and playing. Even bucking and jumping. I’ve never seen a big buck do that. The big buck definitely did the chasing, but it all appeared to be playful.

As luck would have it the same three bucks were in the same neighborhood tonight. This time the big buck acted like he had a hot doe locked down. He would RUN and chase the other two. They acted like they were used to it and would take off well before he got to them. They’d run hard for 75 yards then make a u-turn. Then they’d run a half circle. They were all over the place.

All the sudden the big one would decide that was enough and start browsing on grass again. Then they’d all relax together. :think: Minutes later the big one would pick on the other buck. Same deal, running hard the whole time.

I’ve never seen anything like it other than when a buck is guarding a doe during rut. That was exactly what it looked like.

I’ve heard of “bully” bucks, but I’ve never witnessed one first hand and always figured it would happen while hard horned. Just curious if anyone has seen anything similar to this.

live2hunt

Re: It looked like rut in August

Unread postby live2hunt » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:41 pm

I have trail camera photos that show a very similar scene. I thought the same as you looks like rut. The first pic was a doe squatting then bucks running everywhere. The bucks chased each other and chased the doe. Then they grouped up for a while almost like they were bristled up.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:51 am

It's 2020...anything is possible. Wouldn't surprise me a bit on a year I draw an Iowa tag, that I find out the rut was in August this year and I missed out. :lol:
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:56 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:It's 2020...anything is possible. Wouldn't surprise me a bit on a year I draw an Iowa tag, that I find out the rut was in August this year and I missed out. :lol:

Now that’s funny!
:lol:
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:01 am

Maybe that buck thinks he lives in SFL :lol:

They are full bore down here. Guess I should dust off the ol’ bow rig.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:09 pm

Summer time can be a real magical time when glassing a mature bachelor group of bucks. How they behave and act now will be a 180 degree difference in a few months. Their testosterone is starting to build now and I've personally witnessed what you are describing. I'm sure the chasing and aggressive posturing is all part of them establishing their hierarchy in the deer world.
Trying to explain what you and few others have personally witnessed to those that have never witnessed this is mind boggling. I wish that all true outdoorsman could see and experience this. It is quite humbling and amazing to say the least.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:21 pm

Seen it, but not to the degree your describing. What I witnessed was over a choice patch of food. In an alfalfa field. What looked like all the same plants. I later discovered in different light conditions. Was a darker, greener spot. The most dominant deer in the field. Some nights it was an old doe. Would keep all other deer away from it. Nights a large dominant buck showed. The does all left the patch alone. But other bucks kept trying.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:57 pm

I have a months worth of videos right now of a 1.5 yr old buck chasing and harassing a doe. They are always together and when he’s not chasing her she seems to be egging him on lol.
Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:18 am

I used to have a pet buck as a kid, bad idea I know, but I learned a lot about buck behavior from him. In velvet they act like a dog and a lot of the times they just like playing. This buck would run circles around me, splash in a kittie pool, paw at the ground, all just playing. He'd chase the dog around not because of a dominance thing but because he was roughhousing like dogs do. Once that velvet came off he could be like Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde and kill you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”