Let's talk about shining.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Let's talk about shining.

Unread postby DhD » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:05 am

I have never been shining, but it's allowed in Nebraska and I would like to give it a try. What is your shining routine? What kind of spotlight do you use? What time is best to go? What types of areas do you target? How far from public do you shine? I know some land owners around here aren't fans, I don't want to upset folks. Lots of questions, what do you think?

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Lockdown

Re: Let's talk about shining.

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:23 am

DhD wrote:I have never been shining, but it's allowed in Nebraska and I would like to give it a try. What is your shining routine?
Don’t have one. I spread myself out and try and locate as many shooters as possible. I don’t shine at all in areas where I don’t have access.

What kind of spotlight do you use?
Don’t know the brand. It’s decades old. If you get a super bright spotlight you’ll still wish it was brighter.

What time is best to go?
If you’re really close to bedding, then right after dark. If you’re not, then they need time to make it to within shining distance of the road.

What types of areas do you target?
Only areas I have access to. It does me no good to find bucks I can’t chase.

How far from public do you shine?
couple miles. I usually stay close.

I know some land owners around here aren't fans, I don't want to upset folks. Lots of questions, what do you think?
I think if shining is legal there’s no reason not to do it. Once velvet comes off I see more big bucks while shining than I do during daytime.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:00 am

DhD wrote:I have never been shining, but it's allowed in Nebraska and I would like to give it a try. What is your shining routine? What kind of spotlight do you use? What time is best to go? What types of areas do you target? How far from public do you shine? I know some land owners around here aren't fans, I don't want to upset folks. Lots of questions, what do you think?

I have an older plug in Brinkman that’s real bright and also a rechargeable spotlight. Get the brightest you can find. You’ll appreciate it later that you did especially for real long range spotting.

Obviously fields are your best bet for clear view especially far back corners adjacent to thick bedding. I also pick apart thicker areas and open woods. Seen a lot of bedded bucks that way I normally would skip over.

I shine the public but also the bordering private up to a half mile away since bucks come and go and don’t know property boundaries. As far as times I go all hours of the night this time of the year. I pay attention to peak moon times since that really meshes up with deer movement well during the summer with zero pressure. I see the most bigger bucks after midnight especially on real warm nights.

I never understood the negative stigma associated with shining deer. Around here it’s a long tradition that I have done since a little child with my dad. Good times and great way to quickly inventory deer in the area.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:30 am

Figure out a route around and thru public lands before you go. Beans, alfalfa, and hay are usually best. I shine anything up to a mile away from where I can hunt. Do a few loops around your route during a night of shining. Mine is 17 miles. Relate back to daytime bedding areas you have scouted. You have nothing to worry about it’s legal where you are
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:10 pm

Lockdown wrote:
DhD wrote:I have never been shining, but it's allowed in Nebraska and I would like to give it a try. What is your shining routine?
Don’t have one. I spread myself out and try and locate as many shooters as possible. I don’t shine at all in areas where I don’t have access.

What kind of spotlight do you use?
Don’t know the brand. It’s decades old. If you get a super bright spotlight you’ll still wish it was brighter.

What time is best to go?
If you’re really close to bedding, then right after dark. If you’re not, then they need time to make it to within shining distance of the road.

What types of areas do you target?
Only areas I have access to. It does me no good to find bucks I can’t chase.

How far from public do you shine?
couple miles. I usually stay close.

I know some land owners around here aren't fans, I don't want to upset folks. Lots of questions, what do you think?
I think if shining is legal there’s no reason not to do it. Once velvet comes off I see more big bucks while shining than I do during daytime.

This is some good advice. I will caution you to make sure to check your state regs. In PA we can only spotlight until 11PM and not during the regular firearms season. Also no weapons allowed in vehicle except for CCW.

As far as landowners just use some respect and don't shine their buildings, livestock, or house. Unless you know the guy and feel like having some fun. :lol:
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:29 pm

Please don't light up a tractor or combine at night. Nothing will a guy off more then that. I don't care if people shine but have alittle respect.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:30 am

My advise for shining is, "keep er moving!" shine the deer, see what you came to see and keep moving. Dont sit there and shine him until he runs off. This drives me nuts by me. Every time we had a good buck on our fields some dude would spot light him, stop the truck, shut the truck off, grunt at him, honk at him, yell at him etc until he would run off. Sometimes deer would knock our electric fence down & the next morning I had to go put the cows back in and fix fence! The buck would stop coming out to our field till long after midnight. I got so sick of it I finally planted 500 spruce trees along the field so it can no longer be shined.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:32 am

Here is a something I forgot to ask about, and I am probably overthinking it, but: The way that I read the law here states that you cannot shine across the other side of the road. When on solo missions do you shine thru the passenger window or pull across to shine thru the driver side facing the wrong way?
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:19 am

DhD wrote:Here is a something I forgot to ask about, and I am probably overthinking it, but: The way that I read the law here states that you cannot shine across the other side of the road. When on solo missions do you shine thru the passenger window or pull across to shine thru the driver side facing the wrong way?

I usually take the kids with, so they shine out the passenger window, but it can be done solo (shining out the passenger window) but I dont recommend it. I shine over the roof of the vehicle when solo. Also most roads I shine off of dont have a center line so I guess its not a big deal to operate on the wrong side of the road to shine, but good question as I am sure it could be considered illegal.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 pm

Mopar1169 wrote:Please don't light up a tractor or combine at night. Nothing will a guy off more then that. I don't care if people shine but have alittle respect.

Different deal but That just reminded me of opening day of duck season when all the city slickers would be out on the bay. Constantly flashing their lights at us. I’d give em a quick flash back as we were motoring along but they’d just keep doing it like they thought we were going to move in on their spot.
My buddy picked up this huge coast guard spotlight and he’d sit on the bow. He’d be lighting up Those guys blinds and boat blinds like It was broad day light. Oh would we laugh
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:11 am

Amazon delivered my new led spotlight last night, so we're gonna give it a shot tonight. I will report back with results.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:30 am

DhD wrote:I have never been shining, but it's allowed in Nebraska and I would like to give it a try.
1. What is your shining routine?
2. What kind of spotlight do you use?
3. What time is best to go?
4. What types of areas do you target?
5. How far from public do you shine?

1. I have a route I take. Usually call up my buddy or dad and we go on it a 2-3 times a week to spot dear. Grab a spotlight, binocs, drink and sometimes a glove depending on time of season and head out.
2. This is what I got off Amazon: GOODSMANN Realtree Xtra Cree Led Powerful 750 Lumen Bright Handheld Portable High Intensity Lithium Rechargeable Flashlight/Spotlight
Mine last year went to so I just got this and have used it three times. Works nice and can reach far. Only issue so far is that it doesnt shine while charging but aside from that Ive enjoyed it so far. Just do some research and pick what you think is best. Dont need to break the bank.
3. I usually go from around 8-10ish. Once the season comes here, we cant shine past 11 but this time works well. Have seen plenty of deer out during it.
4. I hunt two private locations so I just shine a solid 4-5 loop around those targeting ag fields to catch the deer out on them. Pretty much anywhere I can shine I do so Ill shine in wet areas, open hardwoods as well. Youll be surprised at when you see a set of eyes you didnt think you would.
5. However far you think a deer may travel from there and some I would. Heck, Id even shine around some areas in case you want to get permission. Its cool to see a nice buck even if you cant get after it in my opinion
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:33 am

Pudster wrote:My advise for shining is, "keep er moving!" shine the deer, see what you came to see and keep moving. Dont sit there and shine him until he runs off. This drives me nuts by me. Every time we had a good buck on our fields some dude would spot light him, stop the truck, shut the truck off, grunt at him, honk at him, yell at him etc until he would run off. Sometimes deer would knock our electric fence down & the next morning I had to go put the cows back in and fix fence! The buck would stop coming out to our field till long after midnight. I got so sick of it I finally planted 500 spruce trees along the field so it can no longer be shined.

Yeah. This is what I try to stress too when going with people. Let them in the field, dont need to scare them off or go crazy.

Ill admit, I have tried my grunt/wheeze call on a buck far away from my hunting area to test it out. It was during the rut and he was a nice 8 on a doe with a little basket 6 trailing. I did a grunt, snort, wheeze and the 8 went after the 6 all pissed. I figured that meant my call probably worked.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”