Swamp thermals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mbone1327

Swamp thermals

Unread postby mbone1327 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:43 am

I’m having a tough time understanding swamp thermals. If we take the wind out of the equation how do swamp thermals work?

I understand if the swamp is warmer than the land around it it will pull air towards it and then straight up.

My question is when does the swamp suck thermals towards it? My guess would be anytime the sun is not out... But I’d think the swamp water would heat quicker and more than dry land? So would it always be pulling thermals towards it?

And when it is pulling scent towards it and the scent is then shot up in the air where does it go after? It shoots up into the air and keeps getting pulled up until it’s a non factor?

Appreciate the help guys.

Dan T

Re: Swamp thermals

Unread postby Dan T » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:21 pm

When the water temperature is warmer than the ambient temp.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:29 pm

Pretty much at prime time And nighttime, it will pull.

This can change based on hi-lo daytime temps, previous temps (say temps have drastically risen or fallen compared to the prior weeks/months), shade over the water, the water source type(seeps or springs can remain colder) water vegetation... a whole host of factors to consider...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
druski
Facebook: no on facbook

Unread postby druski » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:07 pm

I'll give you my current understanding and let the others correct me as needed, as I'm far from a expert when throwing swamp in as a variable.
I focus on air temperature and the swamp water temperature more than the dry/other than swamp soil temp.
Water cools and warms much slower than the air.
Swamp water when warmer than the surrounding air will pull in the cooler air adjacent to the swamp and it will then lift it up (thermal affect) and where it goes from there depends a great deal on topography and the surrounding area of the swamp, i.e. swamp in middle of mature forest, openings near by such as small meadows, knobs, hillsides, saddles, draws, etc. I think that's where your own milkweed experiments can come in handy to know how your spot will respond during specific conditions with the wind and temperature. My initial way of saying it will probably bounce around or flat out swirl one way or another. Just search milkweed for posts on that if your not familiar.
I'd estimate in generally flat land with a swamp in a middle of flat topography and woods that your scent would go up to the point the warmth of the swamp air dissipates land then the scent would go the direction of the wind, which I think would probably be the same as the wind current given the flat land in a mature woods scenario. It'd be interesting to watch milkweed rise to the point/height where it stops rising and begins the lateral movement with the wind. I think it's generally a safe bet that the thermals will lift your scent up to the point it effective scent control in terms of vertical thermals given flat land otherwise you need to watch your surroundings as referred to above.
The draft created by the swamp is pulling your scent in first laterally/horizontally, so factor that in when setting up.
Since the air cools/warms so quickly relative to the waters rate of cooling/warming, it something always to be mindful of.
I'm interested to know how the thermal lift of the milkweed/scent correlates with normal cool down VS cold fronts. I wouldn't be surprised if the thermal affect carries the milkweed/scent higher during a more dramatic difference in temperatures.
*Went to post this and two others had already posted, so pardon any redundancy or confusion that may otherwise cause
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:56 am

Thanks, fellas.

I know Dan is adamant about hunting beds in the evening but if the thermal pull is strong enough... it seems like preferred bedding would be in the swamp throughout the night and higher ground during the day. My guess is this would be a factor on calm nights/ days when thermals have more of an effect. I'd think overall wind would dictate bedding more often, but there are cases where thermals might dictate bedding. Thinking out loud here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”