Locating a nocturnal buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CShipp

Re: Locating a nocturnal buck

Unread postby CShipp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:53 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Will also add there is only 2 types of mature bucks in the real world that most of us hunt.

1.) the mounted beauties that grace our dens

2.) the nocturnal ones.

They are all highly nocturnal other wise they are dead shortly after 2nd birthday in most heavy hunted regions.

Takes something special to get a old pressure buck moving in daylight on pressured ground. So I assure you that you are not alone in your quest to kill a nocturnal buck. But I stick to my previous answer. When the time is right does he move in daylight in the place you hunt? Or do you need to write him off and find another that does. If u don’t know for certain you are just peeing in the wind and hoping. Hoping is for folks who play the Lotto. Knowing is what separates the killers from the excuse makers.

caught him only once during the day and that was on November 8th before rut started in 2019.. ill draw the trail he was taking and where exactly the camera caught him. maybe my best bet would be too locate some good doe bedding and set up downwind of the beds around the dates he shows up every year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
-Aldo Leopold
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:59 am

CShipp wrote:
<DK> wrote:I have read and listened to guys that say they like using dominant buck urine for these situations. If he checks the scrape at midnight then he could come back around to monitor his area.

Another thing to consider is your main doe bedding areas. You know the property well so apply that and start getting tighter to the does during peak rut. I like setting up right in the best bedding areas w the thickest spots.

Use the dominant buck urine in what way, on the scrape?

Probably. Idk, never tried it but thats what they say is a good trick. Research it

I think it was this guy I first heard say it - https://bigbuckregistry.com/post/101478 ... cents-with

This is a quote I found online from a scent company while searching. -

"This fall I had a legitimate Booner living in a valley on a dairy farm I've got permission to bowhunt. The deer was crazy nocturnal, but I thought I might have the chance to catch him in daylight. To test this theory, I dumped a bottle of Rutting Buck Urine in a scrape and left a camera over it to capture video of any visitors. For 10 days, I had a pile of different bucks visit including the big boy.While I didn't get the chance to arrow him, I did end snuffing out a 10-pointer buddy of his, who also happened to visit the scrape."
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am

CShipp wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Will also add there is only 2 types of mature bucks in the real world that most of us hunt.

2.) the nocturnal ones.

They are all highly nocturnal other wise they are dead shortly after 2nd birthday in most heavy hunted regions.

Takes something special to get a old pressure buck moving in daylight on pressured ground. So I assure you that you are not alone in your quest to kill a nocturnal buck. But I stick to my previous answer. When the time is right does he move in daylight in the place you hunt? Or do you need to write him off and find another that does. If u don’t know for certain you are just peeing in the wind and hoping. Hoping is for folks who play the Lotto. Knowing is what separates the killers from the excuse makers.

caught him only once during the day and that was on November 8th before rut started in 2019.. ill draw the trail he was taking and where exactly the camera caught him. maybe my best bet would be too locate some good doe bedding and set up downwind of the beds around the dates he shows up every year.

I’ve never been fortunate enough to use on X maps and don’t know exactly what the symbols mean. Where do u hunt state wise that the rut is not pulling bucks in November? Not knowing these things looking blindly I would say put your stand in the bottom corners of that field. Hunt them evenings when the wind gives them a reason to move through. If u know the property well find the spot terrain forces travel between it and the field. If not one go North/South and find one that restricts East/west travel. If not one go East/West and find one that restricts North/South movement. Never even seen a small parcel that doesn’t offer something nice.!Just my opinion, do what u want. But do it your best!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
CShipp

Unread postby CShipp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:34 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
CShipp wrote:

2.) the nocturnal ones.

I’ve never been fortunate enough to use on X maps and don’t know exactly what the symbols mean. Where do u hunt state wise that the rut is not pulling bucks in November? Not knowing these things looking blindly I would say put your stand in the bottom corners of that field. Hunt them evenings when the wind gives them a reason to move through. If u know the property well find the spot terrain forces travel between it and the field. If not one go North/South and find one that restricts East/west travel. If not one go East/West and find one that restricts North/South movement. Never even seen a small parcel that doesn’t offer something nice.!Just my opinion, do what u want. But do it your best!

Louisiana has hunting zones that each have a distinctive rut, Some start in November and some start as late as mid January, the wide variation is thought to be due to relocation efforts to restock Louisianas deer herd in the 1900s. They relocated different bucks and does from different parts of the country to Louisiana and so it caused deer across louisiana to have very diverse genetics and consequently the does go into estrus at different times.

I hunt 3 zones in Louisiana: 1 zone has a thanksgiving rut, one has a mid december rut, and one has a christmas rut. it really is a beautiful thing.

almost forgot some of our coastal zones rut in september and the western part of the state ruts in october
-Aldo Leopold
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:41 am

CShipp wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
CShipp wrote:

2.) the nocturnal ones.

Louisiana has hunting zones that each have a distinctive rut, Some start in November and some start as late as mid January, the wide variation is thought to be due to relocation efforts to restock Louisianas deer herd in the 1900s. They relocated different bucks and does from different parts of the country to Louisiana and so it caused deer across louisiana to have very diverse genetics and consequently the does go into estrus at different times.

I hunt 3 zones in Louisiana: 1 zone has a thanksgiving rut, one has a mid december rut, and one has a christmas rut. it really is a beautiful thing.

Jesus, one rut can get a hunter in the weeds. Dealing with 3 is beyond my pay grade. U ever consider purchasing a blessed by an authentic Navajo medicine man rabbits foot? :lol: Just playing. Putting my feelers out there, seems to make as much sense as most products. Looking to cash in on the sickness ha!
-John Wayne-
CShipp

Unread postby CShipp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:50 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
CShipp wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
CShipp wrote:

2.) the nocturnal ones.

Jesus, one rut can get a hunter in the weeds. Dealing with 3 is beyond my pay grade. U ever consider purchasing a blessed by an authentic Navajo medicine man rabbits foot? :lol: Just playing. Putting my feelers out there, seems to make as much sense as most products. Looking to cash in on the sickness ha!

For a long time i figured everywhere was like that until i figured out that deer up north have to have there fawns ready for their first winter. and no thanks on the rabbits foot all i have to do is bury a dish rag in the yard at midnight under a full moon and say a Hail Mary, thats how cajuns make their luck. :D
-Aldo Leopold
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:00 pm

I think u will do quite well my friend! U Cajuns have a great sense of humor and realizations of what truly is important. Go get him! Also don’t forget for just 3 easy payments of $19.95 u can get your paws on this once in a life time blessed rabbits foot. Supplies are limited but yet if u r one of the first 10 million callers u get 10 more. Separate s/h of course. U got the spirit, I see u with him in the kill zone!
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”