Lone wolf or with company

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Burningbootleather

Lone wolf or with company

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:02 pm

Do you prefer to be lone wolf or with company?

Hunting for me was at its most enjoyable when I had a group and we scouted/hunted together. Then I killed a giant for my area and started to pursue more deer of that caliber and got bored with it. I was young so other things also influenced me drifting away from hunting, but I think the lack of friendly atmosphere is what really killed the motivation

I started back scouting intensely this summer and have a multitude of deer in camera and people tell me I’m crazy for telling someone all of my spots that had never even been to them (over 20 public land spots).. who would lower their chances for comradery?

Grasshopper

Re: Lone wolf or with company

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:15 pm

I definitely agree that hunting comrades make it more fun. I hunt with a family camp and also hunt solo a lot so I get both worlds
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm

I like hunting with people too. A good buddy to hunt with is hard to beat. Being able to bounce setup ideas and scouting out areas helps tremendously with a second person. Also where I am, the closest public is an hour and 10 minutes east of me. Next closest is an hour and 15 minutes northwest of me. It's hard for me to drive that far solo, just makes it seem to take longer and not as enjoyable. I do it, but I do prefer company.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:45 pm

I like talking strategy with like minded individuals but when it comes to actual hunting I’m strictly Lone Wolf.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:50 pm

I think it’s hard to find friends that have the same hunting mindset as you. Most people on this forum give it 100% when it comes to scouting and hunting. I’m not saying it’s wrong not to but very few people are as “crazy” about it. Everyone is a “deer hunter” in November but watch those interests change outside of that window.

Again, nothing wrong with that at all. It just makes for a lot more solo trips.
Last edited by jkelley1487 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 pm

It's fun to share camp with hunting buddies. Kicking around strategy, sharing trail camera pics, reporting on the days sightings....it's all a ton of fun. All that being said, I almost always hunt alone, it's just the way it works out.

I've also seen/heard about hunters that WON'T go hunting if their buddy can't come....which seems crazy to me. If I had to depend on others to hunt, I would rarely get to hunt.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:11 pm

I like to hunt alone. I feel that’s when I’m on my A game. Otherwise I’m thinking of the other person.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:17 pm

I'm mostly a lone wolf.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 pm

Lone wolf by day, beer sippin strategy talker by night.
theAdmiral

Unread postby theAdmiral » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:32 pm

Lone wolf, but not by choice. I don’t know of anyone that hunts like I do. The couple of people I know that hunt are all much older and sit the same spot every time.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:02 am

I think I can be more successful by myself, but nothing beats having a successful hunt with a good buddy.

I played a lot of team sports growing up so sharing in the glory is something I really enjoy. I shot my biggest buck two years ago by myself and it is not my favorite hunt. My favorite hunt is a ground hunt getting to watch my best friend shoot a monster (unfortunately we did not recover the deer but it did survive.) I had never been more excited than watching that unfold.

I have completely bought in to the Beast this past year and I am in the process of converting my dad and best friend. I think it has refueled the hunting fire in my dad. The last few years he hadnt had the best luck and sitting in the same stands all the time without any success can put a real BIG damper on things. He is really beginning to enjoy the bouncing around and attacking aspect of this style.

If it wasnt for The Beast he may not even be hunting this year so thank you all very much for opening my eyes to this style!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:15 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:It's fun to share camp with hunting buddies. Kicking around strategy, sharing trail camera pics, reporting on the days sightings....it's all a ton of fun. All that being said, I almost always hunt alone, it's just the way it works out.

I've also seen/heard about hunters that WON'T go hunting if their buddy can't come....which seems crazy to me. If I had to depend on others to hunt, I would rarely get to hunt.

This is me as well. I almost always hunt alone. The years I’ve struggled I tend to go harder, more often, and isolate myself from friends and family. I’m competitive against myself. I also find it easier to (party hunt) after I’ve gotten the freezer full and some bone to hang my hat on.

I got off to a fast start last season and was fairly contented early. It cooled my jets, I was thankful and I found myself hunting more with my 3 buddies late last season to try to help them improve their odds. I feel good about going in my canoe with a friend to a spot where he killed his best buck of the season.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:24 am

I think the hardest part is finding someone who doesn't go running into the area of hot sign you found. I've got a couple buddies like that but both live about 20 hrs away. We'd rather see the other guy get a deer - pretty neat hunting w folks like that.

This year will be some hunting with dad. He's 80 and gets along pretty well. Hoping he'll actually shoot something, last time I took him deer hunting he saw a bunch but wouldn't shoot anything.
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:26 am

With company!

Life is too short to be alone. :violin:
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:28 am

Gun hunting is a family tradition and I love hanging out around deer camp.

Bow season has been a solo adventure but I’d also like to have a couple buddies to hangout with and talk stretchy and game plan certain areas.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”