Lone wolf or with company

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ryan549
500 Club

Re: Lone wolf or with company

Unread postby Ryan549 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:55 am

I hunt alone. But I have a good buddy to help me drag.... after I pick him up, blindfold him and bring him to my location!

Ryan
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:59 am

When I say greedy I mean obviously keep the best bucks closer to my chest but I also would tandem hunt spots with someone. A newbie is not approaching their tree quietly and they are not climbing quietly. So getting them tight enough is always a tough challenge and I would generally go that little extra. Or maybe the wind conditions would be tougher in a certain spot so they have to back off vs im checking as I go to get in tighter.

Now instead I will lead, hunt tight together and film for them or swing around to the opposite side of the bedding area to hunt.

One issue is they generally do not know where they are, how to map their way out or their mind isnt on the goal.

We here are just a different breed
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:02 am

I like both. I always plan a few solo trips each year and I absolutely love that and feel that I’m at my best when I’m by myself. But I love hunting with friends, specifically a few. There’s a couple of friends that when we get together we are just that much more deadly. No selfishness and we work together to punch tags.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:05 am

<DK> wrote:When I say greedy I mean obviously keep the best bucks closer to my chest but I also would tandem hunt spots with someone. A newbie is not approaching their tree quietly and they are not climbing quietly. So getting them tight enough is always a tough challenge and I would generally go that little extra. Or maybe the wind conditions would be tougher in a certain spot so they have to back off vs im checking as I go to get in tighter.

Now instead I will lead, hunt tight together and film for them or swing around to the opposite side of the bedding area to hunt.

One issue is they generally do not know where they are, how to map their way out or their mind isnt on the goal.

Just out of curiosity are you open about what state you hunt?

I’m in TN but will be hunting several public grounds in KY this year
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:29 am

Burningbootleather wrote:
<DK> wrote:When I say greedy I mean obviously keep the best bucks closer to my chest but I also would tandem hunt spots with someone. A newbie is not approaching their tree quietly and they are not climbing quietly. So getting them tight enough is always a tough challenge and I would generally go that little extra. Or maybe the wind conditions would be tougher in a certain spot so they have to back off vs im checking as I go to get in tighter.

Im in MO. Mainly hills and timber. Mixed w farm land and pastures
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:46 am

<DK> wrote:
Burningbootleather wrote:

Im in MO. Mainly hills and timber. Mixed w farm land and pastures

I’m planning on eventually broadening my options even more and have a friend in MO.

If you’d ever like to after this season, I’ll drop a few random pins on public and we can scout/pick up sheds

I’d like to be hunting in as many states as possible! It’d be nice to find several 150+ but in multiple states so if I kill on I’ll have another to chase with a tag
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:16 am

I hunt alone for the most part. Only hunting partner I need to consider is my wife. She doesn't bow hunt anymore, though she might go during one of the gun seasons.

We have so much going on ("day jobs", farm, property management) that most of my hunts are last minute, spur of the moment, weather looks good, grab the bow and go type events. So I really can't coordinate with anyone else for that style of hunt, it would slow things down, which I won't tolerate when I do get a shot at "me" time. I'm selfish that way.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:38 am

I hunt alone. Always have. I have had camps, have one now, but its fun to share information around the fire, its fun to keep in touch of what is going on, but I do not want to bowhunt, with another guy, unless he is as extreme as myself. I have had in the past some great partners, but most guys my age have lost the burn in the belly, and many do not go out anymore.

I appreciate a good partner, but actually each one of us, does not want to know, if someone is on the other side of the hill....
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:04 am

I’ve got an inner circle, mainly one other guy. We’ve been hunting together for 20 plus years. We scout some together.
I’ve got a couple other guys I bounce ideas off of but they’re lazy or live far away.
I hunt for me.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:04 am

I mostly hunt by myself other than discussing strategy with my bil who introduced me to the beast ways. Might do some hunting together teaming up on a buck. I'm looking forward to hunting more with my kids as they get older. Oldest who is interested in hunting is 11 now and I take him here and there but hopefully in a few years we can team up strategically on bucks.
Dillon.S

Unread postby Dillon.S » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:54 am

I am definitely a lone wolf but feel conflicted at times about this. I hunt exclusively alone during archery season, and for the last few seasons I have also been hunting firearms season alone. I grew up hunting with my dad and brother who both are both firearm hunters, I enjoy spending time with them and fondly look back on the hunting camp experience growing up. However, they hunt very differently than I do. My odds at taking a mature deer are very, very low hunting with them and for the last few seasons I have gone out on my own. I feel bad because I know my dad especially would like to have me there I just feel they are wasted sits hunting deer while I could be out chasing mature bucks.
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:37 am

I would definitely love to hunt with buddies, but I just don't have that many who hunt. Most friends also have young kids and there just isn't time for a time-consuming hobby like bow hunting. I do have a couple who will go out with me once or twice a season, but they are only casual hunters. So while I'd prefer to hunt with buddies, most of the time I am out by myself.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 pm

I hunt alone normally. I go by myself whenever I get to hunt weekdays, usually running out after work to hunt. When going more than an hour or so away from home I am usually going with my brother. I enjoy the drive and sometimes camping with someone else there, but when we hunt we generally go to different areas. I'd be open to setting up on two potential exits from a bedding area, or something like that, because i would be just as happy if he got one as if i did (ok, almost as happy) but otherwise i want to be as far from other people as possible.
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:21 pm

This is a tough one to answer now... My Dad introduced me to hunting in 1986, he having gotten started regularly in 1984. Ww hunted together from then till around 1994 when high school sports, events and me starting to work so I could have a car my senior year took precedence. In 1995 I joined the Marines and following my years in the service, life took over. Around 2010 - 2011, following the passing of my grandfather who had began hunting with my Dad regularly during those years, my Dad reached out to me and asked if I could come help him prepare for the season. I jumped at the opportunity and didn't look back. Now neither of us was ever really good at it. I had a couple opportunities in those early years but never got it done. My dad had a couple nice deer under his belt but it was mostly rut kills from box stands (luck). Getting started back I dove in pretty heavy at getting better. In the last few years I have been able to take some decent deer, one 7.5 year old in 2013, a beautiful 4.5 year old 8 point 2016, a 3.5 year old 9 pt in 2017 and a nice 7pt last year. I am by no means accomplished but I feel I am getting better each year. Above all, my Dad was my hunting buddy. We would discuss hunts every night, watch hunting shows together and dream of those big boys that don't exist where we hunt. The memories I have from this will last my lifetime. Last hunting season was the culmination of my advancements so far. My Dad had not killed a buck in 5 years. Having really let himself go over the years he couldn't make the transition with me from a box blind rotational hunter to going a little more mobile with lock-on's and sticks. I was able howevwr with me hunting that way to put him on a buck that I had cross me really early in the morning prior to day break. I got him setup and had him hunting the area where I had spotted the buck under the same wind. He harvested the buck, again his first one in five years! I couldn't be more exstaic!! Later that hunting season, January 28th, completely unexpected he passed away. I lost my hunting partner, my hunting buddy and one of my best friends! This will be the first season that I will hunt without him being there to share stories with. To discuss what new things to try and where we are going to hunt. I lost the person who will celebrate with me and whom I can congratulate his successes. This year I will be a lone wolf, I know he will be there in spirit and will always have him in my heart but I also know it wont be the same...
Head
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:21 pm

I hunt alone, Yeah, eah.
With nobody else
I hunt alone, yeah, eah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I hunt alone
I prefer to be by myself........

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”