Buck bedding changes with changing conditions.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jzehr

Buck bedding changes with changing conditions.

Unread postby jzehr » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:26 am

I was reviewing some of my scouting data from the past spring and was thinking about some of the different beds I found and what variables led to them being used or not to be used at different times. The pictures attached is of of a marsh bed that I believe is used by a mature 10 pointer through the majority of hunting season until the marsh begins to freeze. This bed is obviously well used and for good reason. It is nearly impossible to beat the nose or the ears on a buck in this bed, your only hope is to hang in the closest tree 200 yards away. The one exception to this is windy days .... I noticed last year and through scouting this spring a satilight bed significantly closer to the transition on a trail leading into the marsh. I actually killed a nice 8 pointer last year in that bed on a windy day and jumped another 10 pointer 1 month later out of the same bed. The only common denominator was that both days had 50 to 60 mph wind gusts. This is when it clicked as to why that was the case, it was so obvious it made me mad I didn't catch on sooner. But simply put on windy days the primary buck bed looses one of its biggest marsh bed advantages .... hearing. The cattails on windy days make hearing anything impossible. So in response the buck moves to a high point on the entrance trail and watches his entrance track while he uses wind to cover his back, hence gaining back a new advantage. Its an obvious outcome that I all to often don't fully think through before a hunt. I think these are the little things that separates guys like Dan from some of us younger guys. Has anyone else experienced somthing similar?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”