New to the Swamp and Want to Get my Feet Wet

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jhpa

New to the Swamp and Want to Get my Feet Wet

Unread postby jhpa » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:17 pm

So I have only really hunted mountain/big wood and farmland thus far, but would like to branch out.

I found a small swamp in a valley while map scouting and would like some input.

I have outlined all the edges or points of interest I could find in different colors. The black is just redacting the location information.
The following pictures show the edge-marked overall swamp, zoom on eastern half, zoom on western half.
I also included autumn Google Earth imagery to better define the swamp, with a high lighted region I thought looked good further zoomed.

I'm just looking for some advice from the experienced marshers. Any areas I marked that don't look worth a scout? Any that I may have missed or any marked location really catch your eye?

Is the potato-ish shaped blue marked region an island?

Any suggestions, comments, and discussion are greatly appreciated.

swamp_big.png

swamp_east.png

swamp_west.png

swamp_earth.png

swamp_zoom.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: New to the Swamp and Want to Get my Feet Wet

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:26 pm

In addition to the dark blue area you circled on the Google map, take a look at the lower left of the pic where there is a finger that juts out and then near that where the edge goes into the woods like a bowl.

On the opposite shore, about mid way there is a small variance where the trees stick out a small bit. I would check that out too.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
jhpa

Unread postby jhpa » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm

Huntress13 wrote:In addition to the dark blue area you circled on the Google map, take a look at the lower left of the pic where there is a finger that juts out and then near that where the edge goes into the woods like a bowl.

On the opposite shore, about mid way there is a small variance where the trees stick out a small bit. I would check that out too.

I also liked the look of that bowl. Thanks for the suggestions!
jhpa

Unread postby jhpa » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:53 am

I would like to pose another question.

In a small swamp in a valley, such as this, how do you guys and gals cope with the wind?

The prevailing wind tends to blow straight down the valley, but I imagine a narrow valley swamp like this will have wind swirl and other effects not present in large cattails swamps in flat terrain.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:40 am

I’d go walk the transition and look for trails going in and out and any old run lines. If the trails are fresh I’d follow them. If cold mark them to check on them and as season progresses and food and hunting pressure changes I’d come back and see if they have gotten hot.

At this point I wouldn’t expect to see much for deer sign but it can give you a good idea if it’s worth throwing a hunt at. Also check for surrounding oaks and make some educated guesses about where when and what they are using food water and bed wise in the area.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”