Glassing/Observation advice needed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad
500 Club

Glassing/Observation advice needed

Unread postby Brad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:07 pm

I am very new to glassing and observation sits. I didn't do any prior to last season (my first season hunting) and have done some glassing so far this year just to get a little peek at some spots. I'd like to get serious about using glassing and observation sits in the weeks leading up to Sept 15th when our bow season opens. I'd appreciate some pro tips from those of you experienced at using these techniques. Here in MO we can't use trail cameras and we can't shine/spotlight, so glassing and observation sits seem to be the only way to get a good idea of where the deer, and most importantly where the bucks are going to be during the early season. What are some things to look for, or to think about when trying to glass or observe? When do you glass, and what information are you hoping to get out of it? How do you choose the areas you are going to glass? Are fields the only place to get this kind of intel? or do you guys try to get into in the timber at all? Do you glass fields only by roads or do you try to get deeper to fields that can't be seen from roads? & if so, how do you do that without disrupting their patterns? Do any of you use sits in tree stands to observe? Basically I'm just looking for what you guys do, and what you are looking for when trying to get intel in the weeks or month before the season begins. I'm not really sure where to begin or where to go from there, and I would like to avoid any mistakes that can lead to wasted time getting ready for the season.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Glassing/Observation advice needed

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Brad wrote:What are some things to look for, or to think about when trying to glass or observe? When do you glass, and what information are you hoping to get out of it? How do you choose the areas you are going to glass? Are fields the only place to get this kind of intel? or do you guys try to get into in the timber at all? Do you glass fields only by roads or do you try to get deeper to fields that can't be seen from roads? & if so, how do you do that without disrupting their patterns? Do any of you use sits in tree stands to observe? Basically I'm just looking for what you guys do, and what you are looking for when trying to get intel in the weeks or month before the season begins. I'm not really sure where to begin or where to go from there, and I would like to avoid any mistakes that can lead to wasted time getting ready for the season.

What am I looking for?
1. Big bucks
2. Where big bucks enter fields
3. The wind direction and any patterns. Let's say I glass the same buck 3 or 4 times. Same wind, different winds?
4. What food source is he on now, and will that food source still be preferred on the opener
5. Hopefully I already know bedding areas within 1-2 miles of late summer sightings

When do I glass?
-As often as schedule and budget allow.

How do you choose areas you glass?
1. Areas that have been productive in previous years.
2. Public lands and anything within a 2-3 mile radius of those lands. I'll check them at least 2 or 3 times before, maybe more before I scratch them off if nothing good shows.
3. Preferred summer ag crops that lend themselves to glassing (soybeans, alfalfa, sugar beets, I've also seen a fair amount of bucks in what fields after wheat fields are harvested)

I would say I hardly ever/never glass timber. That's where I'd be running trail cameras.
Bowmanmike

Unread postby Bowmanmike » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:10 am

I will be doing some glassing/observation sitting this year. I am new to public land hunting so i want to see whats around some of the land i picked out. I am thinking about access that allows me to get to a good point of observation without letting any deer know i was there. Sometimes that can be glassing from the road,but deer can get wise to that too. I hunt a piece of private that has a dirt road along the two big hayfields that drop down from the road to a small swamp. Towards the end of October the number of people stopping or slowing way down on their way past increases dramatically. The bucks dont enter the field until after dark once that happens.
I will do some observation sits close to the friends cabin that owns the land. I get a good vantage point and the deer will not be able to tell i was there.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:41 am

I'm glassing anything near my hunting areas. If it's private I will do slow drive-bys . If it's public i will move on foot to strategic vantage points and sit till dark. For me it is just a fun thing to do. By time hunting season hits those bucks are already off that pattern. I do it more to see what is in the general area.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:19 am

Try glassing early in the morning this time of year. Don't just focus on ag fields, also watch natural fields and other food sources. Do those things that you questioned like like getting into the timber and hidden fields, you have the right idea. Keep in mind that patterns may change once the season opens.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:29 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
Brad wrote:What are some things to look for, or to think about when trying to glass or observe? When do you glass, and what information are you hoping to get out of it? How do you choose the areas you are going to glass? Are fields the only place to get this kind of intel? or do you guys try to get into in the timber at all? Do you glass fields only by roads or do you try to get deeper to fields that can't be seen from roads? & if so, how do you do that without disrupting their patterns? Do any of you use sits in tree stands to observe? Basically I'm just looking for what you guys do, and what you are looking for when trying to get intel in the weeks or month before the season begins. I'm not really sure where to begin or where to go from there, and I would like to avoid any mistakes that can lead to wasted time getting ready for the season.

What am I looking for?
1. Big bucks
2. Where big bucks enter fields
3. The wind direction and any patterns. Let's say I glass the same buck 3 or 4 times. Same wind, different winds?
4. What food source is he on now, and will that food source still be preferred on the opener
5. Hopefully I already know bedding areas within 1-2 miles of late summer sightings

When do I glass?
-As often as schedule and budget allow.

How do you choose areas you glass?
1. Areas that have been productive in previous years.
2. Public lands and anything within a 2-3 mile radius of those lands. I'll check them at least 2 or 3 times before, maybe more before I scratch them off if nothing good shows.
3. Preferred summer ag crops that lend themselves to glassing (soybeans, alfalfa, sugar beets, I've also seen a fair amount of bucks in what fields after wheat fields are harvested)

I would say I hardly ever/never glass timber. That's where I'd be running trail cameras.

X2 This is my early season strategy as well.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”