Cell Cams and Record Books

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Cell Cams and Record Books

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 am

JoeRe had a theory for every new technology that comes out a woodsmanship skill is lost. Making everything equal again. Not sure where a cell can fits in there. Maybe guys will loose observation skills

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:16 am

thwack16 wrote:
moondoondude wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:
moondoondude wrote:Quality and age class here crashed with the introduction of trail cameras.

Cell cameras exaggerate that effect, arguable as to what extent.

Is this because guys are more efficient at killing the 2&3 year old deer when using trail cams? Or guys actually know what’s in the woods so they are targeting those older deer and pin pointing them better?

Yes.

Both of those things.

Agree on both for my area. Tack on baiting and 2.5 months of gun seasons and it’s the 5+ year old deer are harder to find. With that being said, much more 3 & 4 year olds getting killed now.

Are people killing more bucks now or it just seems like it because of social media? According to stats they are killing less in my state
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:20 am

So my question is what about the bucks already in the books that were taken by aid of cell cams? What was ok last year isn’t ok this year?
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:32 am

Hawthorne wrote:
thwack16 wrote:
moondoondude wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:
moondoondude wrote:Quality and age class here crashed with the introduction of trail cameras.

Is this because guys are more efficient at killing the 2&3 year old deer when using trail cams? Or guys actually know what’s in the woods so they are targeting those older deer and pin pointing them better?

Yes.

Both of those things.

Agree on both for my area. Tack on baiting and 2.5 months of gun seasons and it’s the 5+ year old deer are harder to find. With that being said, much more 3 & 4 year olds getting killed now.

Are people killing more bucks now or it just seems like it because of social media? According to stats they are killing less in my state

I’d say way less bucks getting killed now. But percentage of 3 & 4 year olds are much, much higher. You rarely see a non-youth kill a buck less than 3.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
thwack16 wrote:
moondoondude wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:

Yes.

Both of those things.

Trail cameras mean that bucks here aren't going unnoticed. I wouldn't say social media influences my perception of how many bucks get shot.

Social media is a different topic entirely. YouTube influences where, how, and why people hunt though. Public hunting pressure has increased exponentially and a lot of the new pressure is from "the hunting public". Lots of public hunters out here sporting their garb. Which, I might add, i think is a good thing that guys are getting out and taking a shot at our public lands. From what I've heard from some buddies' hunting experiences, the suburbs, small woodlots, and edges of big city metro parks are full of hunters fighting one another due to "seek one" in close quarters combat. The poaching and illegal activity in the smaller woodlots got so bad and the quality disappeared to the point that i haven't shedhunted those metro parks since a few years back. Those are the first places here to see the impact of cameras. A 20 acre patch of woods in a city with a buck every day in daylight on camera is a lot different than a farm country buck every day in daylight. Sure, it can be argued that there are some factors that will make it tougher but overall, the scale and scope of what you are doing is reduced massively by the limited space you're operating in.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 pm

I don’t Think I’d ever bother entering a deer. I’ll have the rack on my wall somewhere I can see and show friends.. and probably a story and pics to post on the beast... Good enough for me.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:46 pm

Dewey wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:
Trout wrote:Just saw this come through on an article in the deercast app.

https://deercast.com/app/feed/item/21432

Long story short, both Pope & Young and Boone & Crockett say game taken with the aid of cell cams is an unfair advantage and would not be eligible for their record books. Anyone out there using cell cams who will stop using them now?

I wont, basicly because I don't care about getting my name in a book for something I killed. I don't want anyone in my local to know what I kill. That just makes the hunting pressure go up.

My thoughts exactly.

How do you take a buck with the aid of a cell cam anyway? I suppose some would abuse them in some way to gain an unfair advantage like setting up over a bed and then sneaking in for the kill. I would feel I crossed a line doing that. If your using them like that obviously it’s a concern. I use mine just for inventory purposes no different than a normal camera that everybody else uses. I would never use them at the point of kill. Obviously not everybody would have those same feelings so that’s why they are addressing it. They have that right to align with fair chase rules in their club.

I know here in AR with baiting and cell cams they are a big advantage for hogs, my family has killed a bunch of hogs over the last 2 years using cameras and bait and as consistent as some deer can be on bait too that would give an advantage during rifle season to know that there is a buck at that feeder right now! I use my cells cam for deer too and thanks to them it helped me keep tabs on the buck I killed last season and know that he was still using the same spot of the field every afternoon without having to go check the camera. I had seen him during summer scouting, went in and scouted couple trails and hung some cameras and narrowed his area down and then hung the cell cam and was able to keep up with him without alerting him. It didnt help me set the stand or make the shot but let me know he was still in the area.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:58 pm

I do not disagree with P&Y or B&C, but I probably wouldn't be invited to the ethics committee meeting anyhow.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:19 pm

A cell cam would help increase your probability of killing a deer by allowing you to know where he is most likely going to be in the next 24 hours. Statistically he is more likely to be in that generalized area. I can see this making a tremendous difference in deer with large home ranges.. big woods deer come to mind particularly.

If I get a picture of a Boone and Crockett walking up a ridge to likely bed down at 1:00 PM, where do you think I’m going to go hunt that evening? He’s in that area somewhere and this is information you would not have known without that technology.

Now, I don’t want to step on any toes here.. well not to hard at least, but how can we establish a line of what is not exceeding “fair” advantage over an animal? Hunting an unpressured midwestern food plot with a rifle is a lot easier than hunting a deer you killed because you got a picture sent to your cell phone and knew what area he was in. Even killing a deer with a bow on public forest gives you an advantage in a way. I personally don’t think record books and inches or even number of mature buck kills mean anything.. at all. The competitive side to hunting is an endeavor with no true winners. Hunter skill cannot be measured. I know plenty of people who have far less kills than most, but are truly better at what they do.. they just work a full time 9-5 job and raise a family so they don’t have the time to scout public land every weekend or the money to pursue an unpressured private land deer with an outfitter. I like Boone and Crockett deer, and I just got my first cell cam (after learning this rule) and I tell you what.. I like getting that notification on my phone. 180” deer is 180” whether it’s on paper or not. I think the scoring system is useless anyways.. I’ve seen net 140” deer just as big as my net 150” deer (and even he had a fair amount of deductions)
Birddog00

Unread postby Birddog00 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:26 pm

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:I don’t Think I’d ever bother entering a deer. I’ll have the rack on my wall somewhere I can see and show friends.. and probably a story and pics to post on the beast... Good enough for me.

I agree, I had one entered into P&Y because I was somewhat pressured by friends that had deer in the books and figured why not. Well after all the paperwork, and money spent on membership and whatnot, I got a slip of paper saying he was in the books! I have no idea where that paper is and never looked at it again lol
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Birddog00 wrote:
1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:I don’t Think I’d ever bother entering a deer. I’ll have the rack on my wall somewhere I can see and show friends.. and probably a story and pics to post on the beast... Good enough for me.

I agree, I had one entered into P&Y because I was somewhat pressured by friends that had deer in the books and figured why not. Well after all the paperwork, and money spent on membership and whatnot, I got a slip of paper saying he was in the books! I have no idea where that paper is and never looked at it again lol

Danggg!!! That would sour me.

I know an old timer who claimed he entered a few and then people moved in on him bad and everything he had going went to crap.

Oh, and if it cost money then I’m out! They wanted 100 some bucks to register my duck dog yrs ago. I bailed on that too. I got the dog, the paper wouldn’t do me no good.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”