J-hook vs exit trail for consistency.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

A5BLASTER
500 Club

J-hook vs exit trail for consistency.

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:05 am

I don't post much and don't ask many question because I learn better by reading and applying it to what I see and how I hunt. Now I am coming up on my 3rd beast hunting season.

What I have learned about deer hunting I learned from my grandfather, my best friend and surprisingly I wasn't all that far off from hunting full beast style. But I have always hunted the entrance trail i.e. J-hook a buck uses to get to his bed. I have never hunted the exit trails. And I'm thinking I might start trying sitting the exit trails of a few bucks I have been chasing for 3 seasons and just can't seem to close the deal on. And see if that is the technique needed to close the deal on them.

What would you choose. J-hook or exit trail? What has been more consistent for you? Any lil secrets too working the exit trails?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: J-hook vs exit trail for consistency.

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:17 am

My answer is based on you being able to slip into your stand undetected close to the exit trail. I believe the exit trail increases your odds 10 fold over the morning approach. At least in pressured areas or what I have witnessed first hand. Imo a mature buck has made his J turn well b4 legal light so all u r doing is tipping your hand. I’ve also never found a consistent hook, seems the air is doing something atleast a lil diff every day changing his hook. Easy to get picked off by friendly fire in such conditions.

During the rut I might take a swing at him showing up late to his bed. But overall I think u will have a much greater chance sliding in there in the evening along an exit route.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
PK_
500 Club

Re: J-hook vs exit trail for consistency.

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:45 am

Weapon, terrain, access, wind, time of year, pressure... too many variables to throw out an answer.

But generally speaking...

With the bow, I will take evenings most times when ‘bed hunting’. It just seems that you have a higher percentage of being able to accurately guess where the buck is and will be. With a firearm I really like to come in back door and shoot them as the filter into the bedding area or stand up to stretch/poop/browse/cruise late morning-midday.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”