Bucks on points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Bucks on points

Unread postby Elite » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:00 am

I scouted this new area last spring and found some good buck and general deer sign. This spot is right next to a highway (west) and major development to the northeast. To the east is a public access path about 350 yards from the most secluded bed. I found two big beds-one off the tip of the pines under a red berry tree (name?) and one under another red berry tree in the swamp. The beds were not worn to the dirt and seemed to be westerly wind based beds. No rubs were in the beds, but waist to chest high rubs were found about 250-300 yards east going towards the access path.
I put out a camera over a trophy rock July 1st (block icon to the east of the tip) to gather intel on the bucks in the area. To my surprise when I checked the wind on the days bucks were there, it was coming out of the south (ssw, sw, sse). The bucks were coming from the tip of the point or the south. What type of wind do bucks typically bed on points like this? I was expecting a westerly or easterly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Bucks on points

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:49 am

To help everyone with giving you good feedback, what times did you have the pictures?

Night, early morning, evening?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:23 am

justdirtyfun wrote:To help everyone with giving you good feedback, what times did you have the pictures?

Night, early morning, evening?

Anywhere between 6:15 and 7:15pm.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Which way is this map oriented? Is North at the top?
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:49 pm

Looks like bedded when winds out of the North , Northeast blowing to the South, Southwest to me. Though slopes can be way different in woods then a topo shows. Can't always trust Topos.

If you try sitting where you have your stand position the thermal is probably going to bust you. Unless your tucked up in a ravine or only hunting it on a rising thermal.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:38 pm

Huntress13 wrote:Which way is this map oriented? Is North at the top?

North is the top of the screen.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:40 pm

The bigger beds are located to the left of the stand. The buck icon below the stand is "potential buck bedding ".
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Bedding points could be used with any wind direction. I have found bucks bedded on windward points and side hills. If they can see danger in every direction it doesn't matter the wind. The wind only protects one side, thermals only protect one side (generally speaking) but their eyes can see in all directions. I would hunt according to the best wind for entry to a desired stand and thermal lift or drop.
Shoot Straight
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:24 am

Coalcracker wrote:Bedding points could be used with any wind direction. I have found bucks bedded on windward points and side hills. If they can see danger in every direction it doesn't matter the wind. The wind only protects one side, thermals only protect one side (generally speaking) but their eyes can see in all directions. I would hunt according to the best wind for entry to a desired stand and thermal lift or drop.

In general however, do buck prefer the wind to be coming from the land towards the end of the point?
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:02 am

Elite wrote:
Coalcracker wrote:Bedding points could be used with any wind direction. I have found bucks bedded on windward points and side hills. If they can see danger in every direction it doesn't matter the wind. The wind only protects one side, thermals only protect one side (generally speaking) but their eyes can see in all directions. I would hunt according to the best wind for entry to a desired stand and thermal lift or drop.

In general however, do buck prefer the wind to be coming from the land towards the end of the point?

Elite, depending on the pressure and stuff this piece gets, I normally see them in an area like that either when the wind is blowing into their face as they walk into it in the morning, or some variation of having the wind blow right down the mainland to the tip of the point.

The areas I normally frequent, I would feel particularly confident one is there with a NE wind. However, the terrain may dictate a different wind to actually get the wind blowing that direction. Next time you’re in there to check you cam or during a hunt, take note of the actual wind direction and drop some milkweed. You may be surprised at what that tells you.
How bad do you want it?
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:07 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:
Elite wrote:

Elite, depending on the pressure and stuff this piece gets, I normally see them in an area like that either when the wind is blowing into their face as they walk into it in the morning, or some variation of having the wind blow right down the mainland to the tip of the point.

The areas I normally frequent, I would feel particularly confident one is there with a NE wind. However, the terrain may dictate a different wind to actually get the wind blowing that direction. Next time you’re in there to check you cam or during a hunt, take note of the actual wind direction and drop some milkweed. You may be surprised at what that tells you.

Thanks!
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:52 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:The areas I normally frequent, I would feel particularly confident one is there with a NE wind. However, the terrain may dictate a different wind to actually get the wind blowing that direction. Next time you’re in there to check you cam or during a hunt, take note of the actual wind direction and drop some milkweed. You may be surprised at what that tells you.

This is exactly I was thinking. The south winds could be coming over the trees to the south, hitting the point and then diverting and probably swirling just enough to the west towards the tip of the point and around it enough that they feel confident bedding there. Thats just a theory, and only experience with milkweed will tell you whats going on. Another theory is that, just because the bucks were on camera those days, they might not have necessarily been bedding off that point. They could've been bedded in an area that you weren't expecting them to be in.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 pm

Dont forget about their eyes too. Most often than not they bed with a minimum 180 degree view off those points and hills. So watching the main access, wind to back and their ears swiveling around looks like they got a pretty good security net there. I've attached a picture of a typical point/hill country bed situation for you to look at. Blue dots are beds. Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:42 am

The beds seemed to setup for a ssw/wsw/w wind. Berry tree to their back (west) with the ability to watch the road to the north and smell the bike trail to the s/se; or vice versa depending on how they lay down.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:38 pm

may21581 wrote:Dont forget about their eyes too. Most often than not they bed with a minimum 180 degree view off those points and hills. So watching the main access, wind to back and their ears swiveling around looks like they got a pretty good security net there. I've attached a picture of a typical point/hill country bed situation for you to look at. Blue dots are beds. Hope this helps.

Good point to bring up, i forget to mention anything about them using their eyes...and they most certainly do it!
How bad do you want it?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”