New Areas Late Summer Scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mbone1327

New Areas Late Summer Scouting

Unread postby mbone1327 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:07 am

Hi guys. Wanted to open a discussion up about late summer scouting new areas you've never put boots on the ground. I've been hesitant to scout new areas this time of year because I don't want to put pressure on bucks with hunting season a month and a half away.

Woulds you guys rather scout and get intel now or wait until in-season to scout?

Thanks.

mbone1327

Re: New Areas Late Summer Scouting

Unread postby mbone1327 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:37 am

Didn't realize there was a scouting forum...
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:23 am

Pick the right day and go in there. Cool rainy days might be the best way to leave less of a trace.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:14 am

Me personally I'm going to wait till season opens and do scout hunts every time I'm in new woods.

It's not because I don't want too put pressure on them this time of year. It's because if I'm going to go put my life and health on the line in tick, spider,snake,hog,bear, moutian lion infested woods in the heat of this time of year, I want to beable to kill that deer as well, not just scout him.

I do late winter/spring scouting after the season before it warms up but I do 90% of my scouting during season.
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:54 am

I think for me it would partly depend on when the season starts. I’d still like to give it time prior to season opening.

At the end of the day, I’d have a good plan and a good reason for heading in. Knowing what you want or expect to find may make you more efficient. If you already know the deal then stay out. That is where I have messed up in the past.

My Philosophy is to have as many high percentage spots as possible. Yes it’s hot and rapidly approaching season, but you may find a spot, intel or deer that could rock your world.

I’m going to be checking out a few more spots prior to September opener. Both are small and Likely very overlooked. Never never run out of spots where you can hunt.
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:10 am

Agreed Ratme. I'm hunting New England so mid September and early October openers. I don't have a ton of spots scouted by foot (started hunting a few years ago), but I have a lot scouted by aerial/topo with some specific areas I want to scout in mind.

I want to scout. I like scouting, but I also want to shoot a mature deer. My concern was pushing the deer out. I guess pushing the deer out could also vary bases upon the habitat I'm hunting i.e. suburban vs big woods and unpressured vs pressured.

I had a plan to put boots on the ground in a few locations and then walk in blind in a few others and scout in season. See which yield results.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”